What is the closest/decent hotel to Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in NJ?

9 hours ago, e050377 said:

This topic has been interesting. We are currently booked at Embassy Suites near the outlet, but am now considering Jersey City. Which hotel would be the most convenient for the train into NYC? 

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't see how it can get more convenient than the Residence Inn.  The entrance to the Path station is about a 30 second walk from the hotel, no streets to cross.

The same for Hyatt on the Hudson.  The Path station is practically out the front door, and the first stop is at WTC.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, e050377 said:

This topic has been interesting. We are currently booked at Embassy Suites near the outlet, but am now considering Jersey City. Which hotel would be the most convenient for the train into NYC? 

It all depends on where you plan to go in NYC and what day(s) of the week you plan to do it.  Here's the Path map - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html. There is a Mon-Fri schedule with service on 4 routes.  The Sat-Sun schedule offers less frequent service to the same stations on only two routes.  Post back what you're considering doing and when.  

Residence Inn at Grove St - direct service to midtown and downtown NYC Daily.  Midtown service is via Hoboken on Sat and Sunday.

Hyatt hotels at Exchange Place - direct service downtown daily.  Requires transfer at Newport on weekdays and transfer at Grove St on weekends to go to midtown.

Courtyard, Westin, and Doubletree at Newport have direct service to midtown and downtown Mon to Fri.  On weekends direct service to midtown is via Hoboken and downtown service requires a transfer at Grove St.  

Edited by 138east

7 hours ago, artvlay said:

Which Bayonne area hotels allow you to leave your car while on cruise? 

I know that the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth has a cruise package that includes parking and shuttle to/from the pier.  Also check out the Residence Inn and Courtyard in the same area.

20 hours ago, 138east said:

It all depends on where you plan to go in NYC and what day(s) of the week you plan to do it.  Here's the Path map - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html. There is a Mon-Fri schedule with service on 4 routes.  The Sat-Sun schedule offers less frequent service to the same stations on only two routes.  Post back what you're considering doing and when.  

Residence Inn at Grove St - direct service to midtown and downtown NYC Daily.  Midtown service is via Hoboken on Sat and Sunday.

Hyatt hotels at Exchange Place - direct service downtown daily.  Requires transfer at Newport on weekdays and transfer at Grove St on weekends to go to midtown.

Courtyard, Westin, and Doubletree at Newport have direct service to midtown and downtown Mon to Fri.  On weekends direct service to midtown is via Hoboken and downtown service requires a transfer at Grove St.  

We used to visit NYC pretty regularly and stay at Doubletree Suites Times Square.  We have a few days before our Dec 29 Anthem cruise free. I hadn't planned to go into the city, because hotels are out of this world expensive right before New Year's Eve.  I hadn't thought of Jersey City as an option.  So no real itinerary or location we want to see. I booked the Hyatt.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 4:40 AM, artvlay said:

Which Bayonne area hotels allow you to leave your car while on cruise? 

Look at the Ramada on trinityreservations.com. They quote tax included and are almost always the best deal. 

• Like 1

I'm very familiar with this area...

If all you need is a hotel room for the nite (ie- arriving late / departing early) any of the airport area hotels should suit your needs and be the most economical.  However, none of the hotels are that nice as airport hotels get 'beat up' pretty quickly as they have a lot of one-nite stays which increases wear and tear on rooms.

The next step in terms of convenience would be the hotels near the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall.  These are all fairly new and the mall gives you something to do for the evening in the immediate area and/or a place to grab dinner.  The hotels in this area are more 'moderate' in terms of star ratings... Courtyard, Residence Inn, Extended Stay, Country Inn; the highest rated (and i believe the newest) is the Embassy Suites.

If you're looking for 'nice' i agree with the underutilized Jersey City Waterfront (and Hoboken) area which gives you more higher rated hotel options (Westin, W Hoboken, Hyatt on the Hudson, etc).   All of the Jersey City (along the waterfront) hotels provide easy access to the PATH train for access to NYC and there are plenty of restaurants that are walkable nearby if you don't want to head into the city.  For anyone driving in, keep in mind that this area has very limited on-street parking, as most of the waterfront area is regulated my residential parking permit, so you will almost certainly need to factor parking fees into your budget.

If really trying to save on costs and are near the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (which most of the Jersey City Waterfront hotels, as well as the W Hoboken, are) you can take the Hudson Bergen Light Rail map to 34th St Station in Bayonne which drops almost directly at the entrance of the port.  However, it's still a mile or two from the port entrance to the ship, so from here you would need to call a taxi or uber to take you the last mile.  Not the most convenient, but i mention for anyone that is on a tight budget.

You can get an overview of the area at Pre-CruiseHotels.com by selecting Port Liberty Bayonne from the drop down menu, which will also makes it clear just how few hotels there are immediately by the cruise ship terminal. (NOTE: to see the W Hoboken or some of the Jersey City hotels you will need to change the default search from 5 miles --> 10 miles)

6 minutes ago, thereuare said:

I'm very familiar with this area...

thereuare - Since you know the area, I would like to ask you: We chose to book a room at the Watt Hotel in Rahway, NJ. There were several factors that went into the choice: Appearance on their website, reviews, location to train station for transportation from airport and to Manhattan, and decent choice of restaurants in walking distance from hotel.  Are you familiar with the hotel and area, and is it as nice as it appears online?

Edited by ramja96

ramja96,

That is a newer hotel and admittedly i'm not that familiar with it.  However, i can note...

• from the airport you're getting further from Manhattan (not closer)
  • it's about a 45 minute train ride into the city, which RT is 1 1/2 hours commuting time, a big chunk if you have limited time in the area
  • RT costs into the Manhattan looks to be $20/pp (could be a little more/less depending upon peak/off-peak) so if two people you're looking at $40 commuting costs... staying someplace such as Jersey City / Hoboken could reduce your NYC commute costs to $10 RT per couple and put the $30/nite savings into a nicer / more convenient hotel
  • not sure of your dates or what times you expect to head to/from the city, but do check NJ Transit Trip Planner (surprisingly it works very well!) as service on many NJ Transit train routes can get limited on weekends and/or late at nite

Ultimately it comes down to the price of the Watt Hotel and how much more/less it would cost (after factoring in commuting costs) for something that would be nicer and/or move convenient. 

You also don't mention how long you're staying in the area (just one nite pre-cruise or 3-4 nites before your cruise).  It may make a lot of sense for one nite if you arrive early in the morning and have enough time to check-in to the hotel and then commute into the city (and still have enough time to enjoy Manhattan), but the longer you're staying and the more times you intend to commute into the Manhattan, the less attractive this location makes sense (imo) as the more it costs you in commuting expense and the more time you're spending/wasting on the train.

How many nights are you arriving before your cruise?

Edited by thereuare

19 minutes ago, thereuare said:

ramja96,

How many nights are you arriving before your cruise?

Thanks for the detailed response! We are flying into EWR on 4/24 and sailing on 4/27, so we're staying in NJ 3 nights. So, we're kinda flexible on the commute times as far as the train into Manhattan - I'm more concerned with EASE than time. Also, I found a pretty decent price on this hotel, too. Avg of $120/nt. after discounts/points.

Edited by ramja96

1 hour ago, ramja96 said:

Thanks for the detailed response! We are flying into EWR on 4/24 and sailing on 4/27, so we're staying in NJ 3 nights. So, we're kinda flexible on the commute times as far as the train into Manhattan - I'm more concerned with EASE than time. Also, I found a pretty decent price on this hotel, too. Avg of $120/nt. after discounts/points.

Check out the Robert Treat in Newark.  They offer a free airport shuttle, free breakfast, and free internet.  I was very happy with the hotel and found the beds comfortable.  They also offer AAA and senior rates.  The hotel shuttle also drops off and picks up from Newark Penn Station.  Your train cost to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp and the PATH cost to World Trade is $2.75/pp.  This will save you a lot of travel time and when you price it all out (including the free breakfast and free airport shuttle), it will be cost effective even if you pay $140/night.  The train cost to get to Rahway from Newark Airport is $10.50/pp.  Rahway to NY is $9.25/pp.