Vaccinations?

SBC123

What is your cruise line telling you?  On our first cruise to Brazil (the Amazon) in 2010 the cruise line and our TA sent multiple notices advising all passengers that if you couldn't present the international vaccination record of a yellow fever shot (or a doctor's waiver) you were not allowed to board.  In this case Brazil required it because a previous port was Devil's Island (Guyana) which

None were required on our LA to Rio cruises in December 2016/January 2017.  We also went to Iguassu Falls and the yellow fever vaccine was not required at that time.  It looks like the CDC is recommending them now for most of Brazil.  You can see that info and get lots more travel info on the CDC website: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

You can also check the individual Embassy or Consulate websites for each country that you will be visiting.  They should have a travelers section. 

Yes as of 2017 the coast of Brazil it is recommended. Our cruise goes from BA and back hitting many coastal areas of Brazil. We got our shots two weeks ago for our December cruise. There is a very limited supply of this vaccine I was told and read here on CC.

2 hours ago, SBC123 said:

Where did you go to get your vaccination?

Our local international travel clinic (this was in suburban Washington, DC).  Check out https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/find-clinic

2 hours ago, SBC123 said:

Well I see Brazil is not on our itinerary, maybe that's why, there are 7 other countries tho, was Brazil the only one that required that you get a Yellow Fever shot?

For our trip 2 years ago no vaccinations were required.  You are responsible for determining if your cruise line has any requirement that must be met because of a government requirement of any of those 7 countries before boarding.

58 minutes ago, SBC123 said:

Great! Thank you Capriccio for all your help!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!  The LA to Rio and the Fort Lauderdale to Manaus (Amazon) cruises were two of our favorite itineraries.  Just be sure that you are prepared for all kinds of weather on your cruise.  We experienced low temps in the mid-upper forties (in Tierra del Fuego) and high temps of 111 in Rio (Buenos Aires was 'cooler' in the high 90s)!  There are excellent recommendations on this board for independent excursions in almost all Central and South American ports.  If you have more questions, just ask!

PS - welcome to cruise critic!  I should have mentioned that in my first post:classic_smile:.

We got the vaccine at a Dr travel clinic where she pulled up the medical info for today.

yes 2017 you did not need it for Brazil today it is highly recommend for port areas.

No other country we visit needed but other areas of SA did we are not visiting them.

Yes, I managed to connect directly to NCL today & they looked up my itinerary & since we're not traveling the 300+ miles inland to visit Machu Picchu in Peru we don't need to be vaccinated......only if you're going to Machu Picchu, I thought that was interesting. Thanks for your info tho…...Happy Trails!

Only time we  absolutely needed to get a vaccine was 2003 on our Amazon River Cruise. A number of passengers disregarded the Yellow Fever vaccination and we left FLL without them. They were vaccinated at an inflated price and flew to meet the ship in Barbados ( our first stop on our 3 weeks cruise...lots of sea days on that one) 

We are heading out on a 42 day WC segment in February 2019, and the cruise line no longer tells you which vaccines you are required to have...and leave it up to you to figure it out.  From what I can see there are only recommended vaccines and none absolutely necessary. I am basing this on our current residence, and the places we  have recently traveled. We are flying BOS to MIA to SCL..so no connections that are suspect for Yellow Fever, Typhoid etc.     

Our itinerary includes Chile, Easter Island (Chile), Pitcairn, Bali, Tahiti, Indonesia, Australia, NZ, Singapore, Raratonga.

To my knowledge none of the above destinations require specific vaccines unless you have recently visited or connected through countries where these diseases are active.

Are any of you aware of different information regarding the above itinerary??

I called the cruise company (NCL) & talked to someone there regarding this issue. She actually looked up all the ports I'm visiting and cleared each one of them. Peru was the only place on our list of ports that had any requirements on Yellow Fever vaccinations but that was only if you're visiting Machu Picchu, 300 miles inland from Lima, we aren't doing that this trip so it wasn't necessary. Another person here on Cruise Critic replied that he had Brazil on his itinerary & a vaccination was required in Brazil.

• Like 1