Oceania vs. Celebrity

Cruise a holic

On 10/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

We are Celebrity refugees.  We have cruised with X since 2000.  I agree with all of the above.  We have never been disappointed with O.  Best comparison for us is the R Class are similar to the old X "Century" and the O Class are like the Millenium on X.  To us Oceania, today, is like Celebrity was in 2001.  Oceania wins on food hands down, even comparing X in 2000. 

This December, we are trying X on a short "preview" cruise to experience the new X "Edge" and the Edge "modernization".  Will we like it? Time will tell.

floridatravelersforlife - Perfectly said.

Oceania and Celebrity are designed for different markets and experiences - so comparing can be tricky.

Oceania is like cruising used to be.

From my perspective, 5 items positively distinguish Oceania from Celebrity:

1) Service to Guests - The staff are outstanding (10/10). From their uniforms, to their sir and madame, their smiles, effectiveness, speed, customization - totally blows Celebrity out of the water.  Celebrity got rid of the pool servers. On my most recent Oceania, there were servers everywhere bringing glasses of iced water.  The room attendants have the time to put little white clothes on the floor beside the bed so when you arrive at nite, you can take your shoes off and put your feet not on the carpet.

2) Limited to No Class Segmentation - Guests mingle and eat in the same venues. Other than on the 2 larger O ships where there is a suite only lounge, there are no partitioned areas that are off limits to guests. 

3) Food Quality For All - The food quality, quantity etc is superior on Oceania. All guests enjoy very good food in all venues. This is linked to 2) above, no guest gets access to better food than someone else.  Further, Celebrity has cut back on many food activities (eliminated brunch with the ice carvings, formal high tea) that they used to provide - they are alive and well on Oceania!

4) Relationship To The Sea - Oceania continues to have indoor and outdoor ocean viewing venues. It is my understanding that Celebrity intends upon eliminating the indoor forward viewing lounge in the upcoming reno of their fleet. 

5) Noise Level - Music is personal. The selection of music "baby boomer" is well aligned to the Oceania guests. The volume was perfect, it was there, but never overpowering. My last Celebrity cruise had loud "techno" music at the pool which drove me away and elsewhere.

Oceania seems to have a clearer understanding of who their patrons are and provide an appropriate product to them. As others have posted, Celebrity seems to want a younger crowd with their current product in transition.  This is why many former Celebrity guests have moved to Oceania, Viking etc.

Oceania is a quieter more independent experience. Unlike in Celebrity, you will not be "processed", not have las vegas entertainment, no staff in your face shrilling for sales etc.

In the end, purchases often come down to items that are not $ specific. All you can do is try Oceania and see if you like it.

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines around to purchase. When one no longer works for you, you can move on.

Happy and safe sailing.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Oceania and Celebrity are designed for different markets and experiences - so comparing can be tricky.

Oceania is like cruising used to be.

From my perspective, 5 items positively distinguish Oceania from Celebrity:

1) Service to Guests - The staff are outstanding (10/10). From their uniforms, to their sir and madame, their smiles, effectiveness, speed, customization - totally blows Celebrity out of the water.  Celebrity got rid of the pool servers. On my most recent Oceania, there were servers everywhere bringing glasses of iced water.  The room attendants have the time to put little white clothes on the floor beside the bed so when you arrive at nite, you can take your shoes off and put your feet not on the carpet.

2) Limited to No Class Segmentation - Guests mingle and eat in the same venues. Other than on the 2 larger O ships where there is a suite only lounge, there are no partitioned areas that are off limits to guests. 

3) Food Quality For All - The food quality, quantity etc is superior on Oceania. All guests enjoy very good food in all venues. This is linked to 2) above, no guest gets access to better food than someone else.  Further, Celebrity has cut back on many food activities (eliminated brunch with the ice carvings, formal high tea) that they used to provide - they are alive and well on Oceania!

4) Relationship To The Sea - Oceania continues to have indoor and outdoor ocean viewing venues. It is my understanding that Celebrity intends upon eliminating the indoor forward viewing lounge in the upcoming reno of their fleet. 

5) Noise Level - Music is personal. The selection of music "baby boomer" is well aligned to the Oceania guests. The volume was perfect, it was there, but never overpowering. My last Celebrity cruise had loud "techno" music at the pool which drove me away and elsewhere.

Oceania seems to have a clearer understanding of who their patrons are and provide an appropriate product to them. As others have posted, Celebrity seems to want a younger crowd with their current product in transition.  This is why many former Celebrity guests have moved to Oceania, Viking etc.

Oceania is a quieter more independent experience. Unlike in Celebrity, you will not be "processed", not have las vegas entertainment, no staff in your face shrilling for sales etc.

In the end, purchases often come down to items that are not $ specific. All you can do is try Oceania and see if you like it.

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines around to purchase. When one no longer works for you, you can move on.

Happy and safe sailing.

Plus 1.

i had to chuckle at Ronbe65's comment about Oceania not having "cruise" ships. If anything, their ships are exactly what traditional cruise ships are - rather than the floating amusement parks that have come to typify the mass market carriers.

17 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Hello,

Please note that "Oceania" is actually two different experiences ("large" ships vs small old ships) that do not compare.

Oceania Riviera (best Oceania ship) vs Celebrity Eclipse (best Celebrity ship)

Cabins are better on the Riviera

"Food & Service" is much better on the Riviera

Entertainment on the Riviera is rudimentary. There may no even remote comparison with the S-class.

The ships: both are rather "floating hotels" than real cruise ships. However S-class (except Silhouette and Reflection) are definitely more airy, breathable, inspiring.

Spa: Riviera wins.

Pools: Riviera has only one swimming pool for 1250 passengers.

Sports facilities other than pools: Riviera is surprisingly better.

There is no smell of suite privileges on the Riviera.

Overall the Riviera product is a tad above due to the difference in cabins/food/spa.

Prices: this is subjective. Neither of the two features high value for money.

Happy cruising!

What do you mean about the smell of suites on Celebrity Riviera?

20 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I couldnt agree more.  These are 3 of the reasons we have chosen to look elsewhere.  We were very happy with the Celebrity product prior to recent changes. We cruised with them usually 2 x a year. we sail O in January 

20 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

What do you mean about the smell of suites on Celebrity Riviera?

IMO, "no smell of suites" regards the lack of any significant "class system" on Oceania ships. Everyone on O gets a quality experience.

I always have to chuckle about the "suite life," "haven" and "yacht club" concept on mass market ships. The problem with that "wannabe" approach is that, once you walk out of the "locked" area, you're still on a mass market ship with all of its downsides.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, bitob said:

We are elite on celebrity

never again

last cruise they gave us a 1500 future cruise credit to apologize 

in the trash

oceania far superior

crystal even better

So you threw away $1500.   I don't think I would have done that.  In fact my wife won a $1000 coupon on an X cruise and we are struggling to find a use for it, as we have discovered Regent and would prefer that line.  We'll try Oceania next March but we still can't bear to chuck $1000.  We had an absolutely terrible and disgusting problem with Princess years ago, but when the right itinerary presented itself, back on Princess we went.

What did Celebrity do to warrant you're anger, if you don't mind my asking.

28 minutes ago, BosoxI said:

So you threw away $1500.   I don't think I would have done that.  In fact my wife won a $1000 coupon on an X cruise and we are struggling to find a use for it, as we have discovered Regent and would prefer that line.  We'll try Oceania next March but we still can't bear to chuck $1000.  We had an absolutely terrible and disgusting problem with Princess years ago, but when the right itinerary presented itself, back on Princess we went.

I’m curious too. 

If true, the cruise must have been pretty bad for the poster to piss away $1500.   Someone gives you $1500, and you toss it in the trash?   Maybe he/she has lots of disposable income and can afford it. 😚😚:classic_laugh::classic_ohmy:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I’m curious too. 

If true, the cruise must have been pretty bad for the poster to piss away $1500.   Someone gives you $1500, and you toss it in the trash?   Maybe he/she has lots of disposable income and can afford it. 😚😚:classic_laugh::classic_ohmy:

It is not a gift of 1500.  You have to book another cruise to get the discount.  Assuming we would book  a suite (which we always do) we would have to spend at least 10,000 to save 1500.  That's 8500 I do not want to spend on Celebrity.

1 hour ago, BosoxI said:

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I’m curious too. 

It is not anger.  I find the celebrity product to be grossly inferior to the cruise lines we prefer -- Oceania, Crystal, Seabourn.  A decade ago, Celebrity was a decent product.  Now it is just another mass market line -- the food, the entertainment, the service have all deteriorated to the point that I prefer to go elsewhere.  We are leaving Tuesday for 30 nights on Crystal.   We cannot wait.  We know we will have a spectacular cruise. 

On 11/2/2018 at 8:26 AM, ronbe65 said:

Hello,

Please note that "Oceania" is actually two different experiences ("large" ships vs small old ships) that do not compare.

Oceania Riviera (best Oceania ship) vs Celebrity Eclipse (best Celebrity ship)

Cabins are better on the Riviera

"Food & Service" is much better on the Riviera

Entertainment on the Riviera is rudimentary. There may no even remote comparison with the S-class.

The ships: both are rather "floating hotels" than real cruise ships. However S-class (except Silhouette and Reflection) are definitely more airy, breathable, inspiring.

Spa: Riviera wins.

Pools: Riviera has only one swimming pool for 1250 passengers.

Sports facilities other than pools: Riviera is surprisingly better.

There is no smell of suite privileges on the Riviera.

Overall the Riviera product is a tad above due to the difference in cabins/food/spa.

Prices: this is subjective. Neither of the two features high value for money.

Happy cruising!

In general I agree with your comments (although not having sailed on X I'm not trying to compare the two lines).  But I wonder why you say Riviera is the best Oceania ship -- how is it better than Marina?  I've been on both and wouldn't say either one was better than the other.

It's been clear that there are long-time Oceania passengers who prefer either the "O" ships or the "R" ships.  We fall inbetween because we like both categories for different reasons and will sail on any of the ships.  Yes, there can be differences in service depending on the crew.  Sometimes they are better on one ship than on another, but their contracts aren't permanent so these things do change.  Regulars know that entertainment is a weakness with Oceania no matter which ship, so I suppose most are like we are -- we don't sail for the entertainment.  We prefer Oceania for the general ambiance.

But, again -- why do you say flat out the Riviera is the best ship?  It IS the newest!  So perhaps you say that because of some changes that were made in the basic plan after seeing how Marina did.  But for us, those changes were minor.

Mura

1 hour ago, bitob said:

It is not a gift of 1500.  You have to book another cruise to get the discount.  Assuming we would book  a suite (which we always do) we would have to spend at least 10,000 to save 1500.  That's 8500 I do not want to spend on Celebrity.

Amen. Why throw good money after bad.