what to do

aimnic

i'm going on ncl sun's march 18 sailing...it includes a stop to tortola. question: i'm most interested in the beach. clear water, sandy beaches...should i go to the baths? or pick a beach actually on tortola? just not sure if the trip to tortola and the limited amt of time there is actually worth it if i'm more interested in the beach...however, if the baths are "must-see", i am willing to consider it.

tia!

Hi Tia,

We are going on the same cruise, and we are also interested to see what to do in Tortola.

I like to stay away from all the favorite, busy tourist spots, and like history and nature.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tia, you can join us on the roll call message board for our cruise.

we stopped on this island for a day a 100 years ago. we rented a jeep, for like $25, we drove all around the island, to the highest point of the island, stopped at a few beaches, stopped at a little place along the coast for a drink, it was just the 2 of us and we laughed so hard and had so much fun...one of thememories i never will forget.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that you rented a Jeep on Tortola. Is there a place to rent jeeps/cars close to the cruise dock ? I'm thinking of doing this on our stop.

Did a land vacation on Tortola in '99 which included a car rental but the place we picked it up was on the west end

near Frenchmans Cay so not to convenient to Road Town.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the NCL Sun going to Tortola in April. I thought about the rental vehicle idea also and would appreciate any feedback. I found a place online that I can order a detailed roadmap. Sounds like Tortola is a relatively safe and friendly place from my research.....is this correct? Thanks a bunch!

There is a Hertz office just beyond the end of the cruise pier in Road Town. A small, jeep type vehicle typically runs in the $50 a day range. You will need to buy a BVI drivers license ($10) and they will provide a road map. Tortola is very safe but as with any place else, don't leave valuables in plain sight as theft does happen.

If you rent a vehicle, drive to Brewer's Bay for smaller crowds but there will be more people from the ships there with you. There is one resturant/bar, Nicole's, on the west end of the beach.

Cane Garden Bay draws the most people but has a variety of restaurants and bars as well as vendors and small shops.

If you want more space, drive to Long Bay East on Beef Island (there's a bridge) but bring your own refreshments or purchase some on the way as there are no vendors, bars or restaurants, just a beautiful, crescent shaped beach.

On the North West portion of the island is Smuggler's Cove. The road is very rough & forested, at times you may think you're lost. The jitney bus taxi's take a fair number of folks here from the ships. There is a local fellow there that has drinks and some snacks and also a run down, abandoned hotel that at times has had an honor bar but not as often as a couple of years ago before the owner, Bob, passed away. These days, his son does open occasionally.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the NCL Sun going to Tortola in April. I thought about the rental vehicle idea also and would appreciate any feedback. I found a place online that I can order a detailed roadmap. Sounds like Tortola is a relatively safe and friendly place from my research.....is this correct? Thanks a bunch!

Hi Beachbum, are you going on the April 1st sailing or the 15th? We will be on the 15th and are looking for something to do in Tortola as well. We are also trying to get a meet and greet group together the first night of the cruise. Have you gone to the roll call? Hope to see you on board,

NMNita

Archived