Have I made a mistake

MidWestChill

We are booked on the Sunshine this winter.   I choose it for 2 reasons, the itinerary and the waterworks.  It's an 8 day cruise.  

My husband is NOT a cruise guy.  He really dislikes crowds as well.  We were on the Breeze 2  years ago and after researching, didn't realize how nice it was that the boat was not congested.   In fact, it appears the Sunshine could be just the opposite.  I am pretty worried at this point and contemplating changing or even canceling, but would like some input first.  

What we liked on the Breeze....there was not long lines for food.  We could find seating by the waterworks.  The only area I recall being congested was the shops after dinner.  Muster was smooth and inside.  Everything just felt well organized and not a cluster****.    The crowds were never annoying or stressful.  This will all affect my husbands enjoyment, perhaps more then it would others.  

Any other ship recs based off my criteria.  Looking for waterslides for my teens and an itinerary outside of the standard Jamaica, Bahamas, Cozumel, Cayman Islands.  

Why not do the Southen Caribbean on the Vista or Horizon?  Better ships with tons to do on them. Crowds are unpredictable. Are you going during Christmas or mid winter break because the crowds will be more then. You’re Husband needs to relax, he’s on vacation. Sounds like his stress is stressing you out.

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

Why not do the Southen Caribbean on the Vista or Horizon?  Better ships with tons to do on them. Crowds are unpredictable. Are you going during Christmas or mid winter break because the crowds will be more then. 

I will check those out.

When I say crowds, I mean the actual ship itself.  It sounds like the sunshine is packed to the rim, at the detriment of room to move and relax.   We don't want to fight to just find seating to eat during the day...things like that.  

We are going in Feb./19.  Our ports are Grand Turk, St. Martin, San Juan and St. Kitts.

2 minutes ago, MidWestChill said:

I will check those out.

When I say crowds, I mean the actual ship itself.  It sounds like the sunshine is packed to the rim, at the detriment of room to move and relax.   We don't want to fight to just find seating to eat during the day...things like that.  

We are going in Feb./19.  Our ports are Grand Turk, St. Martin, San Juan and St. Kitts.

I know what you’re saying but like I said there’s no way of knowing how the crowds will be. Most cruises sail full most of the time. Going off-peak weeks may help but if youre going during mid winter break you’ll experience more families like your own and longer lines. Carnival carries a lot of kids with families. There are other cruise lines that have less kids aboard thus shorter lines. Nobody wants to wait in lines or have to wait for a table to eat ...... I’m from Michigan and my 9 and 11 year old daughters are always with us. We never cruise during summer or holiday breaks from school for the reasons you mention. 

I really enjoyed the Sunshine and would absolutely sail her again on the 8 day itinerary you are contemplating.  She's got the best Serenity of any ship in the Carnival fleet.  Is there a little 'pinch' near Guy's and Blue Iguana? Yes.  Is the layout of the Comedy Club lousy? Yes.  Does she have all the bells and whistles of the very newest Carnival ships? Yes.

But none of us can tell you what's right for you.

Let me add one more thing.  Many of the opinions you'll see about the Sunshine are from folks who have never sailed her but somehow 'know'.  :classic_huh:  

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Why not do the Southen Caribbean on the Vista or Horizon?  Better ships with tons to do on them. Crowds are unpredictable. Are you going during Christmas or mid winter break because the crowds will be more then. You’re Husband needs to relax, he’s on vacation. Sounds like his stress is stressing you out.

Truth. 

Does your cruise have to be on Carnival? If not, look at the new MSC Seaside out of Miami. Best ship we have ever sailed. Great pricing and the best water park at sea as well as the jungle pool. Food was excellent and lines were never long for anything on the cruise. My kids favorite ship. 

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Does your cruise have to be on Carnival? If not, look at the new MSC Seaside out of Miami. Best ship we have ever sailed. Great pricing and the best water park at sea as well as the jungle pool. Food was excellent and lines were never long for anything on the cruise. My kids favorite ship. 

My only loss would be the deposit but I could possible use that for a girls trip in the future.  I will check it out, thanks!

9 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Have you ever been to any of these ports?  It's a really good itinerary.

No, and that's why we picked it and hubby has agreed.  We can't afford to get there otherwise.  The airfare alone cost us the price of the entire cruise.  I choose the Sunshine over Horizon because of departure port and  it being cheaper to fly to Orlando, but am going to review that again.  Along with the other suggestions.

3 minutes ago, MidWestChill said:

No, and that's why we picked it and hubby has agreed.  We can't afford to get there otherwise.  The airfare alone cost us the price of the entire cruise.  I choose the Sunshine over Horizon because of departure port and  it being cheaper to fly to Orlando, but am going to review that again.  Along with the other suggestions.

Just so you know, we did that exact same itinerary on that exact same ship in April 2017.  I've been to all those ports many, many times (save GT which once gives you a complete pic).  Ask me anything you like.  :classic_smile:

If you can go at an off-peak time, you'll find the crowds smaller.  We generally go right after Thanksgiving or the first week of December - fewer rug rats.  We were disappointed when we were on MSC a few years ago - they had a deal where younger kids sailed free.  Loads of rug rats. 

Edited by Poppy42
Grammer error

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Just so you know, we did that exact same itinerary on that exact same ship in April 2017.  I've been to all those ports many, many times (save GT which once gives you a complete pic).  Ask me anything you like.  :classic_smile:

I may take you up on that, thanks!

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Just completed the 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Horizon. It was pretty full but, getting around was pretty easy. Did not feel hemmed in. I do have to say for late September there were more kids and babies than normal. I usually cr5uise in September always Carnival and there were less kids. These days, its like schools out forever. On smaller/older ships the muster drill will be outside. If it's hot it can be uncomfortable. But, I wouldn't let that deter me from say the Sunshine. Just arrive right as the drill starts. Lots of little things have been eliminated from at  least the Horizon. Network TV, The comfort food table on Lido, punch bowl type things for water in spa with orange and lemons. Otherwise I recommend whichever ship. Curracel, and Aruba were fantastic. La Romana is a no go and, I always love chilling at Grand Turk. Hope this helps.

I have been on the Breeze several times & she's still my favorite.  I was on the Sunshine - there were things I liked about it & didn't feel it was that crowded inside - long lines at peak times, but that's with all ships.  I really liked the Havana bar area - especially on the first couple of days before the crowds figured out where it was.

Having said that - I don't know if you are into being out on decks on sea days or not.  I have to tell you, I've been on many ships, and I've never seen anything like the crowds on deck during sea days on the Sunshine.  We didn't get off in every port (been to many of them numerous times) and really enjoyed the Serenity area on those 2 days, but couldn't get near the place by 8:30 a.m. on the two sea days we had. 

We did get two chairs kind of near the waterworks area - but not having children with us, that wasn't ideal for us.

I would sail on the Sunshine again, but I did find it crowded.

3 hours ago, MidWestChill said:

We are booked on the Sunshine this winter.   I choose it for 2 reasons, the itinerary and the waterworks.  It's an 8 day cruise.  

My husband is NOT a cruise guy.  He really dislikes crowds as well.  We were on the Breeze 2  years ago and after researching, didn't realize how nice it was that the boat was not congested.   In fact, it appears the Sunshine could be just the opposite.  I am pretty worried at this point and contemplating changing or even canceling, but would like some input first.  

What we liked on the Breeze....there was not long lines for food.  We could find seating by the waterworks.  The only area I recall being congested was the shops after dinner.  Muster was smooth and inside.  Everything just felt well organized and not a cluster****.    The crowds were never annoying or stressful.  This will all affect my husbands enjoyment, perhaps more then it would others.  

Any other ship recs based off my criteria.  Looking for waterslides for my teens and an itinerary outside of the standard Jamaica, Bahamas, Cozumel, Cayman Islands.  

Are you sure that you and I are not married to the same guy?  LOL.  My hubby does not like cruising much at all.  I cruise with my sisters so it saves him.  He has to have something to do at all times. He feels that a cruise ship is just a floating hotel.   I have talked him into Southern Caribbean, which is very port intensive and I have already given him notice that he must find a book and read during Sea Days.  That might help.  

i have been on Magic(Breeze) Vista and Sunshine. Each has its own features that make them appealing.

I really enjoyed the sunshine even though it is the oldest of those three.

Southern Itinerary is fantastic.

The reality with any cruise is "timing". If you go to eat during peak times you will have crowds on EVERY ship. I am an early riser and have ZERO lines at breakfast or omelet station. I enjoy my breakfast then watch the lines wrap around the buffet as I am leaving. 

There is some strategy around avoiding crowds, but sea days you will experience extra lines. 

Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MidWestChill said:

I have sailed the Sunshine twice and the only area that gets tight is in Lido deck going from guys burgers to the buffet area on both sides of the ship.  The Lido pool area is always packed on any ship.  Other than that I found it to be easy to navigate and not too crowded. The Havana Bar in the back of Lido is nice and we could usually get a table there.  I sailed once on October and once during Christmas. We enjoyed the water slides and the ropes course and we are in our 50’s. 

My last sailing was on the Horizon. I could not believe how many areas there were to escape the crowds if you wanted.  

I hope you and your family have a great cruise.  Come back and let us know which ship you chose and whether you all had a great time.  

Edited by Cruzlover7