Venice port to St Marks to Jewish Ghetto...

TSUmom

Just a personal observation.  Many folks visit Venice, get a multi-day vaporetto pass (a good idea for most) and make liberal use of the vaporettos to get just about everywhere.  While this is fun and a reasonable strategy it really limits what many folks see in Venice.  For those of us who like to walk you can go just about anywhere in Venice on your feet? It does take more time,  can mean a lot of walking, but it is the only way to truly see much of Venice that is not close to a vaporetto stop :).  Walking also gets you into parts of the city that are not quite as touristy as the usual haunts (Rialto, St Marks Sq, etc).  Over the years DW and I have managed to walk just about everywhere within Venice and Burano (our favorite lagoon island) and it has been rewarding.  We had actually grown tired of "touristy Venice" until we started exploring on foot.

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a personal observation.  Many folks visit Venice, get a multi-day vaporetto pass (a good idea for most) and make liberal use of the vaporettos to get just about everywhere.  While this is fun and a reasonable strategy it really limits what many folks see in Venice.  For those of us who like to walk you can go just about anywhere in Venice on your feet? It does take more time,  can mean a lot of walking, but it is the only way to truly see much of Venice that is not close to a vaporetto stop :).  Walking also gets you into parts of the city that are not quite as touristy as the usual haunts (Rialto, St Marks Sq, etc).  Over the years DW and I have managed to walk just about everywhere within Venice and Burano (our favorite lagoon island) and it has been rewarding.  We had actually grown tired of "touristy Venice" until we started exploring on foot.

Hank

A friend of mine has been twice and she said the first time they stayed around the tourist areas the whole time.  Her second visit they rented an apartment and stayed for a week and never once visited the tourist areas.  She said it was great to wander streets, stop at cafes, buy groceries and cook at "home".  I guess this time I will be the tourist and then I will have to go back and take in the real Venice.  Gives me an excuse to go back.  

I was not going to get vaporetto passes but I like the "comfort" of knowing if I run out of time while enjoying the wandering I can at least have a form of transport to get me where I need to be faster then walking.