Venice port to St Marks to Jewish Ghetto...

TSUmom

I am looking for thoughts, ideas or advice.....Our ship arrives at 12:00, we have a Food Tour in the Jewish Ghetto at 5.  Would it be possible to walk to St Marks from the port and then to the food tour?  Maybe it would be better to take transportation to St Marks and then walk to the food tour? I am just not sure how long traveling will take and need input from any and all of you!!  Also the food tour ends at 9 so the best way back to the ship would be...?  

First you need to know which dock you are at. If it’s a small ship you are on, it could be San Basilio, otherwise it will be Maritima.

You can walk anywhere in Venice (main island) but it’s a good walk from Maritima to St Marks, then back to the Jewish Ghetto. You could get the Vaporretto (water bus) from Maritima or San Basilio to St Marks, then walk back to the Jewish Ghetto. You need a good map.

if you use the Vaporretto you have to buy your ticket before boarding. Here’s a link to a site with good information https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

Thank your for your response.  We are leaning toward buying the 2 day vaporetto pass since the ship overnights.  I know it is a pricey option but we figure we would use it to St Marks and walk toward the Jewish ghetto.  If we get lost or run short on time we can take a vaporetto to where we need to go and to get us back near the port after our food tour which ends at 9 pm.  

I am directionally challenged and my biggest fear is getting lost on side streets LOL 

12 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Thank your for your response.  We are leaning toward buying the 2 day vaporetto pass since the ship overnights.  I know it is a pricey option but we figure we would use it to St Marks and walk toward the Jewish ghetto.  If we get lost or run short on time we can take a vaporetto to where we need to go and to get us back near the port after our food tour which ends at 9 pm.  

I am directionally challenged and my biggest fear is getting lost on side streets LOL 

That sounds like a good plan. One thing that’s well worth it is just staying on a Route 1 or 2 boat as they go the full length of the grand canal.

You seem to know a lot about Venice!  Please tell me how we get a gondola ride - one that goes down side canals not the Grand Canal, maybe near the Jewish Ghetto since our plans are: Day one getting off ship as soon as possible (we arrive at noon) taking a vaporetto to the Rialto bridge staying around that area and then walking toward the Jewish ghetto.  Day 2 taking a morning vaporetto to St Marks and then taking everything in before heading back to ship walking and if needed another vaporetto.  

Is it easy to find a gondola ride?  

We’ve never taken a gondola ride, so not the best person to ask. The nearest thing we have done is a Traghetto ride across the grand canal. That’s a large gondola that acts as a ferry to get across the grand canal in between the bridges. If you look on Venice threads people seem to suggest it’s better to ride a gondola in one of the ride canals rather than on the grand canal. Here’s a link to a good website about gondola rides https://www.tripsavvy.com/gondola-rides-in-venice-1548042

Another tip is to do a Secret Itinerary tour of the Doges Palace, it’s really interesting - you get to go behind the scenes, including seeing the cell that Casanova was held in. You have to book online beforehand. Here’s a link to the Palace website. http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/the-museum/layout-and-collections/secret-itineraries/

Go https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/ You will find all you need to know.   

For example, the public Vaporetto system has no direct connection betwen Marittima and St. Marks.   The private Alilaguna water buses do have that connection. If you are on a mega ship there is likely to be a line.

I would find 4 others and take a water taxi to St. Marks.

From St Marks to the Ghetto, take the number 1 and disembark at  S. Marcuola .

From the Ghetto to your ship, walk 15 minutes to Piazzal Roma and then take the people mover tram (5minutes) back to the port. 

Edited by Earl Rosebery

2 minutes ago, Earl Rosebery said:

Go to europeforvisitors.com/venice.  You will find all you need to know.

For example, the public Vaporetto system has no direct connection betwen Marittima and St. Marks.   The private Alilaguna water buses do have that connection. If you are on a mega ship there is likely to be a line.

I would find 4 others and take a water taxi to St. Marks.

From St Marks to the Ghetto, take the number 1 and disembark at S Marcuola.

From the Ghetto to your ship, walk 15 minutes to Piazzal Roma and then take the people mover tram (5minutes) back to the port.  

Thank you!  I am so thankful I found cruise critic years ago!!!

Are the Alilaguna water buses included in the tourist travel passes I have read about?  

Also thank you for the info of taking #1 and disembarking at S Marcuola.  I would never have known where to hop off.

Will the walk from the Ghetto to Piazzal Roma be safe?  

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

Are the Alilaguna water buses included in the tourist travel passes I have read about? 

Will the walk from the Ghetto to Piazzal Roma be safe?

The Alilaguna system is separate from the Vaparetto system. As for safety, Venice is probably the safest city in Italy, day or night, in terms of violent street crime.

Edited by Langoustine

If you visit google maps or google earth, you can see every aspect of your routes. Venice has been mapped on foot and on the water.  Venice is probably safer than anywhere you can imagine. major crime consists of items being stolen by baggage handlers at the airport

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you...You have all been such a big help I am sharing my plans and hoping you will give your opinions.

We arrive in port at noon.  We will head to the people mover and then buy vaporetto tickets (48 hour)  Hop on a vaporetto and head to the Rialto bridge and wander around some back roads along with taking in the sights around the canal.  We will then walk to the Jewish Ghetto for our food tour and take the vaporetto back toward the port.

Day two again we will use the vaporetto and head to St Marks Square and once again just wandering - since we have vaporetto tickets if we run short on time we can take one back to port.  How does this sound?  Will it work?

Just now, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just make sure you get to St Marks as early as possible on day 2.

I have been looking at buying the skip the line tickets....They are only sold thru Nov. 1st (the day we will be there)  The site says they are not necessary in November as the crowds are smaller.  I am a bit disappointed that the Bell Tower is only available thru Oct 31st…..How much time is usually needed for St Marks?  My DH wants to take pictures, are they allowed?

We were looking at ships tours but I just think it is all doable on our own, it will just take a bit more planning

2 hours ago, TSUmom said:

I have been looking at buying the skip the line tickets....They are only sold thru Nov. 1st (the day we will be there)  The site says they are not necessary in November as the crowds are smaller.  I am a bit disappointed that the Bell Tower is only available thru Oct 31st…..How much time is usually needed for St Marks?  My DH wants to take pictures, are they allowed?

We were looking at ships tours but I just think it is all doable on our own, it will just take a bit more planning

As far as St Marks, it depends what you want to do there. You only need tickets if you intend to go into the Doge’s Palace and/or into the Basilica. Both are worth doing. Personally I loved the Secret Itinerary tour we did of the Doge’s Palace. I would recommend buying tickets if you want to do that, as they only offer it in English every so often. I think it took us a couple of hours. If you just want tickets to go into either/both of these, you can spend as long or as little time as you like there.

don’t forget, once you’ve bought your Vaporretto tickets, you have to validate them in a machine every time before you get on the vaporretto.

40 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

As far as St Marks, it depends what you want to do there. You only need tickets if you intend to go into the Doge’s Palace and/or into the Basilica. Both are worth doing. Personally I loved the Secret Itinerary tour we did of the Doge’s Palace. I would recommend buying tickets if you want to do that, as they only offer it in English every so often. I think it took us a couple of hours. If you just want tickets to go into either/both of these, you can spend as long or as little time as you like there.

don’t forget, once you’ve bought your Vaporretto tickets, you have to validate them in a machine every time before you get on the vaporretto.

We will probably just buy tickets and not a tour....so much to see and do in such little time.  Thank you for the tip on validating the vaporetto for each ride.

Vaporettos are scattered around Venice in their special docking areas.    While some tourists will ask a gondolier to take them on the Grand Canal, we think this is the worst place for gondolas because of all the other powered water traffic.  Gliding through the smaller inland canals is much more quiet and romantic.  But, While the gondoliers are supposed to adhere to a price schedule (the price varies depending on time of the day), like many things in Italy you can certainly try to negotiate :).  If they will not budge in price you can try to get some extra time :).   No guarantee, but it does not hurt to ask.  When we want to take a Gondola ride (and they are expensive...costing up to 100€) we will often stop somewhere to buy a bottle of wine and have the cork pulled.  Most places that sell wine will also have plastic wine glasses.  While we are riding in our Gondola we are also enjoying wine :).  It is a good combination.

Hank

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Vaporettos are scattered around Venice in their special docking areas.    While some tourists will ask a gondolier to take them on the Grand Canal, we think this is the worst place for gondolas because of all the other powered water traffic.  Gliding through the smaller inland canals is much more quiet and romantic.  But, While the gondoliers are supposed to adhere to a price schedule (the price varies depending on time of the day), like many things in Italy you can certainly try to negotiate :).  If they will not budge in price you can try to get some extra time :).   No guarantee, but it does not hurt to ask.  When we want to take a Gondola ride (and they are expensive...costing up to 100€) we will often stop somewhere to buy a bottle of wine and have the cork pulled.  Most places that sell wine will also have plastic wine glasses.  While we are riding in our Gondola we are also enjoying wine :).  It is a good combination.

Hank

Sounds fabulous!!!

On 11/12/2018 at 6:14 AM, TSUmom said:

We arrive in port at noon.  We will head to the people mover and then buy vaporetto tickets (48 hour)  Hop on a vaporetto and head to the Rialto bridge and wander around some back roads along with taking in the sights around the canal.  We will then walk to the Jewish Ghetto for our food tour and take the vaporetto back toward the port.

Day two again we will use the vaporetto and head to St Marks Square and once again just wandering - since we have vaporetto tickets if we run short on time we can take one back to port.  How does this sound?  Will it work?

Not the best plan.  If you want to use the vaporetto, best to take it from St. Mark’s to the Ghetto stop.   Rick Steves does a vaporetto tour in his Venice book.

The vaporetto doesn’t go to the port.  The ghetto is a brief walk to P. Roma where you get the tram back to the port 

Edited by Earl Rosebery

17 hours ago, Earl Rosebery said:

Not the best plan.  If you want to use the vaporetto, best to take it from St. Mark’s to the Ghetto stop.   Rick Steves does a vaporetto tour in his Venice book.

The vaporetto doesn’t go to the port.  The ghetto is a brief walk to P. Roma where you get the tram back to the port 

We plan on spending our second day taking the vaporetto to St Marks and just walking and enjoying that area.  Since on day one we will be in the Rialto Area and have seen it, we could walk from St Marks to Rialto and catch the vaporetto back towards port.

I like the idea of wandering and not being rushed - that is why I broke it up into two days.

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

But they don’t have to be in the Jewish Ghetto until 5 for the tour they’ve booked, so if they want to see the Rialto as well, then they have to go there first. As long as they don’t mind a walk, their plan will be fine.

Thank you - I was starting to second guess my plans.  I know it may be quite a walk but that way we can take in as much as possible and not feel rushed.