Checking in luggage

noramp

We locked ours and never had problems. The only thing that we did different was on our flight we used twist ties and not locks. Some of our bags were opened (that way the locks were not broken) but the airport put another twist tie and a note inside the bag. When we got to our hotel room we then put on the locks before they were transferred to the ship.

If you are talking about the airlines, they will break your locks. If you are talking about the cruise lines, I am not sure, but I believe they won't break them off, but will get you if they need to check on something (such as dive knives).

We use cable ties so that they can easily be taken off if needed, and help to keep the honest people honest.

Not sure about all cruiselines, but Carnival says to LOCK your luggage before handing it over to the porters at the dock. They are not Carnival employees, but work for the port authority.

I use the locks that came with my luggage. A lot of folks use the cable ties, seems to be the 'lock of choice' these days.

About the TSA locks - I've heard many say they will be cut off quite often because there are lazy airline workers who are in too much a hurry, and don't take the time to go 'find the TSA key'...and just cut them off.:o

Carnival will call you to come down to the loading x-ray area if they see something suspicious and ask you to unlock your luggage.

I have had the TSA lock cut off at the airport - actually they cut the loop that lock fits in so now I have to get a new pull as I am unable to secure my luggage even with cable ties.

As far as the cruise - Celebrity recommends locking your luggage for transfer aboard and off the ship.

Only the aircarriers going to/from U.S. require you leave your baggage unlocked. after you get it at the airport put your locks on before handing it over to the cruiselines.

We used the plastic small cable ties. Just remember to pack nail clippers or scissors in and outside pocket in your CHECKED luggage!:)

We do pretty much the same thing.We use twist ties when flying.

Make sure you lock up your luggage at embarkation and debarkation (if your not using self-assist). You then must remove the locks before handing luggage over at the airport.

About the TSA locks - I've heard many say they will be cut off quite often because there are lazy airline workers who are in too much a hurry, and don't take the time to go 'find the TSA key'...and just cut them off.:o

Yes that has happend to me but TSA/Fed Gov't reimbursed me for my missing (TSA approved) lock. Submitted claim thru TSA and received a check about 6 weeks later.

If you use the cable ties, be sure not to pull it all the way. It's very hard to cut it off. We had that happen one time when the airport put one on after searching our luggage. We take the small clippers, but it was impossible to clip the tie when it was pulled tight. We were able to get in the other luggage where I had a small pair of scissors that worked.

Gail

Archived