Azamara vs Oceania

ricki

3 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

There seems to be a huge difference in customer service between Azamara corp. and their ships.  We booked a second Azamara cruise because they offered 50% off shore excursions.  When we were about 8 months from sailing date, they announced they were discontinuing that benefit effective at some point before our sail date.  They refused to grandfather in those of us who were fully paid.  I got into it with the CEO online and he told me to read the contract which stated they could make any changes they wished.  When I cancelled due to what I deemed was unethical behavior, they charged a cancellation fee.  I will never sail with them until they have a change in leadership.

With that kind of attitude and claim ("we can make any changes we wish" and no fare adjustment, no waiving of cancel penalty), they could also claim "we changed the 14 day cruise to 5 days, and also cancelled all port stops, so we'll just sail around in circles for less than half the time (or, heck, just anchor slightly off shore and save fuel!).

How is this written in Azamara's contract?  (And for any/all cruise lines, is it *this* open ended for "any changes we wish"?)

???

GC

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

With that kind of attitude and claim ("we can make any changes we wish" and no fare adjustment, no waiving of cancel penalty), they could also claim "we changed the 14 day cruise to 5 days, and also cancelled all port stops, so we'll just sail around in circles for less than half the time (or, heck, just anchor slightly off shore and save fuel!).

How is this written in Azamara's contract?  (And for any/all cruise lines, is it *this* open ended for "any changes we wish"?)

???

GC

I didn't keep the contract, but essentially, you're correct: cruise lines can cancel ports, sea days, even entire cruises without an obligation to compensate beyond what they're contractually obligated to do.  Cruises, for example, have been cancelled if a company wishes to charter the ship for it's own use.  The cruise line will give you a refund for the cruise, but they're not obligated to refund airfare if the air wasn't done by them.  By way of contrast: we booked a cruise on Viking Ocean which marketed it as having 2 days in London and 2 days in Paris.  When I received the final itinerary, I saw that day two in each of those ports had departure times of 9:00 AM.  I contracted Viking and explained that the change was so significant, I no longer wished to take the cruise.  They called me several days later and said they wer

e offering all passengers the option to either cancel for a full refund, or take the cruise and accept a 25% discount from them on a future cruise.  I accepted the latter offer....what a difference in customer service between them and Azamara.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:08 PM, tgg said:

I cruise on both Oceania and Azamara.  The big difference, for me, is the way each responds to difficult situations.  Azamara goes the extra mile to make things right. 

On an Azamara cruise, we had flown in a day early but my luggage had been sent to the wrong city. It still had not arrived the next day when we left the hotel and headed for the port.  After learning about the situation, Azamara sent someone to the airport to straighten things out and pick up the missing bag.  We had gotten conflicting information about where the bag was.  The Azamara person spoke the local language and cut through the confusion.  Azamara cared, and I was grateful. 

There seems to be a huge difference in customer service between Azamara corp. and their ships.  We booked a second Azamara cruise because they offered 50% off shore excursions.  When we were about 8 months from sailing date, they announced they were discontinuing that benefit effective at some point before our sail date.  They refused to grandfather in those of us who were fully paid.  I got into it with the CEO online and he told me to read the contract which stated they could make any changes they wished.  When I cancelled due to what I deemed was unethical behavior, they charged a cancellation fee.  I will never sail with them until they have a change in leadership.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, java spot said:

I've been on an Oceania 'r" ship once and Azamara about 7 times. One thing I prefer on Azamara is greater attention to outdoor spaces. On Oceania, the promenade decks rarely had loungers on them, and  never had towels or attention from crew.  On Azamara they are always stocked with towels and kept clean and cared for.  Also on Azamara there are wonderful seating and sunbathing areas on Deck 11 -also missing on Oceania.  If spending time outdoors in a variety of settings other than the cabin balcony is important to you, Azamara is the winner. 

Interesting observation.  In my experience I haven't found that to be true. I've been on Oceania Regatta twice and there were plenty of loungers, sunbathing areas, clean towels and attention from the crew. I haven't been on Azamara so cannot comment on them. 

• Like 1

I like both Azamara and Oceania.  Cabins on Oceania's larger ships are like suites on most lines. Oceania's R ships are the same as Azamara's ships. Both do a nice cruise.  You cannot beat the Amazing evening events, white night parties, and fun on Azamara.  Azamara has good food.  Oceania has good food most of the time.  Oceania's specialty restaurants are excellent and have no extra fee. Azamara specialty restaurants charge extra unless you are in a suite.  Azamara officiers are visible and helpful. They mingle with guests and are truly interested in providing a amazing cruise. Not so on Oceania.  I travel on both lines.  The destination and dates along with price dictate when I travel.