VAT stamp

isabellalu

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Like to know if anyone have the same experience like me that I missed to stamp on VAT forms on my purchase when leaving the French Polynesia. Is there any way to make up for it? Otherwise the store there will charge me the tax they are currently withholding.

Thanks,

Isabella

The shop typically holds the VAT, as they have to pay the VAT on all sales.  But they may need to give you a special receipt for VAT refund purposes, the standard receipt is typically not enough.

When you get the stamp, you can submit paperwork to the country to refund part or all of the VAT for purchases made that immediately leave their country.

But in most cases, you are supposed show the items, along with the receipts, as you leave (airport or port), and the officer stamps/signs the paperwork.  You then submit it for refund.

If you left the country without doing so, you are usually out of luck on VAT refund.

BTW, due to actually checking the items are leave, if flying, you may need to have any VAT refund items in your carry on bags, as the office may be inside the security area.

7 hours ago, SRF said:

The shop typically holds the VAT, as they have to pay the VAT on all sales.  But they may need to give you a special receipt for VAT refund purposes, the standard receipt is typically not enough.

When you get the stamp, you can submit paperwork to the country to refund part or all of the VAT for purchases made that immediately leave their country.

But in most cases, you are supposed show the items, along with the receipts, as you leave (airport or port), and the officer stamps/signs the paperwork.  You then submit it for refund.

If you left the country without doing so, you are usually out of luck on VAT refund.

BTW, due to actually checking the items are leave, if flying, you may need to have any VAT refund items in your carry on bags, as the office may be inside the security area.

Usually the customs office has a window to the unsecured area where you can get your exit stamp. Just remember to get your stamp before check in so you can keep your merchandise in your checked luggage

On 11/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, isabellalu said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I just missed the custom window to put the stamps on VAT Forms. The store has not charged me yet, they are waiting for the stamped Forms.

I have never heard of this.  VAT is typically charged on ALL purchases.  It is up to those who qualify, to submit documents to receive a refund.

Exceptions are in some countries, if you are VAT exempt for hotel, and submit documentation, they will not charge the VAT.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, SRF said:

I have never heard of this.  VAT is typically charged on ALL purchases.  It is up to those who qualify, to submit documents to receive a refund.

Exceptions are in some countries, if you are VAT exempt for hotel, and submit documentation, they will not charge the VAT.

We have experienced this a few times in UK and Southern Ireland. Some shops will not charge VAT when you provide a passport, but reserve the right to charge you the tax at a later date, if receipts & forms not submitted upon departure.

Last time we experienced this was a 2014 cruise calling at Cobh & Dublin.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

Interesting.

I have never seen this in my times in UK or Scotland.

I have had things shipped home, as shipping was less than the VAT. 😄

Likewise, we have never had this option in Scotland, which is where we spend most of our time in UK. Can't remember where in England, or the store, but suspect it was a high tourist area. It was also a few years ago, as last year we had to submit all VAT receipts at the airport.

We also did the shipping last year from Buckingham Palace, as the shipping was also less than the VAT and we didn't have luggage space.

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Likewise, we have never had this option in Scotland, which is where we spend most of our time in UK. Can't remember where in England, or the store, but suspect it was a high tourist area. It was also a few years ago, as last year we had to submit all VAT receipts at the airport.

We also did the shipping last year from Buckingham Palace, as the shipping was also less than the VAT and we didn't have luggage space.

Also, I found out the hard way in London, there are different refund processors.  And each store is signed up for one of them.  But if you have paperwork for one, you cannot submit to another one.

So I had all the stuff, including the envelope from one purchase.  Declined all that at a different store, then learned this when I was putting it together to to submit. 😞