Voyager Interrupted Itinerary- Regent Crew shines.

Skysurfr

On our Voyager cruise from Rome to Monaco our voyage was interrupted several times. 

On Day 1 we were met with 80 knots of wind in the port. An Azamara ship broke free of the upwind dock and Capt Stan advised us to prepare to be 

struck by the drifting ship. Luckily the tugs arrived to prevent a collision.  With seas rolling with swells of 25 feet, we cancelled our departure for Livorno and remained another day in Rome. 

Day 3 we went to Livorno rather the La Spezia, missing the Chinque Terra stop.

Finally got back on the itinerary but in Palma we had to delay departure several hours as the doctor had left the ship and we were waiting for another. That delayed our arrival in Barcelona. 

We ended up disembarking in Marseille and not sailing to Monaco due to damage in the port. 

That was quite a bit of deviation for a 7 day cruise. As unfortunate as it was, the crew handled it with true professionalism.  I've never

seen the Destination Services / Tour desk so busy. They scheduled, re-scheduled, re-scheduled again and in the end bussed anyone who wanted to go to Nice or Monaco. 

Kudos to the crew who handled it all as best they could and kudos to our fellow passengers who realize that sometime sh## happens.  :-)

PS- Lucca by bike was cancelled so I walked around Livorno. It has a great little shopping district and a fantastic market area! Who knew? The people were very

friendly and I had a mini feast for a handful of euros.  This city gets skipped all the time as we rush off to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  Save time for Livorno! :-P

• Like 2

It’s great to hear the Regent staff did everything possible to make amends for all the unexpected adversities. And what a wonderful attitude you have. Many people would be razing hell and making all kind of demands. Travelers need to have a boatload of patience and flexibility. I’ll be on the Voyager in Feb. If there are problems I’m going to try to have your attitude!

• Like 2

Wow - you went through a lot.  It was fortunate that th tug boats avoided a collision between an Azamara ship and the Voyager.  The poor Voyager - she already has one bash (if it hasn’t been fixed yet) and another would have been terrible.

So glad that you enjoyed cruise in spite of everything.

You had the misfortune to be on the Italian coast during one of the biggest storms ever in that area.  It "spilled over" even to this side of the Alps.   I read in our local paper here in Switzerland that there was a BILLION euros of damage in Italy due to that storm - or really series of storms.  Flooding just about everywhere in Northern Italy.  Lago Maggiore was 1 m. higher than usual which is a lot for a lake.   So good to read that the Regent staff handled things so well.

Next time you sail in the Mediterranean - come and visit Switzerland!   We have direct (no change) trains that run from Geneva and from Zürich to Venice daily making it very easy to stop in the Alps before sailing.  And the highspeed trains Rome/Milan only take under 3 hours now - Milan to where I live is about 2 1/2 hrs so an easy day's train ride.