26 days on the Oosterdam-Venice to Fort Lauderdale-Report

Sonora5

A couple of years ago we did a tour to Valldemossa. Beautiful little town in the mountains. Frederic Chopin spent some time there and we were treated to a short recital of his music. His time there is considered one of the most productive periods in his life. He stayed in the Carthusian Monastery. When he left Mallorca he had trouble at customs forcing him to sell his treasured Pleyel piano. It is still at the monastery. His bronze bust in the garden shows a well polished nose from visitors rubbing it. It's a practice that is frowned upon today.

PB048278.JPG

PB048237.JPG

PB048232.JPG

PB048190.JPG

PB048191.JPG

We got in to Cartagena at about 8 am and it was a beautiful, sunny day. Much better than the gray skies of Barcelona and Mallorca.

We had booked a segway tour with Anne and Eugene. We are experienced segway riders but it was their first time. We met the segway guide right at the pier, and we proceeded to do our "training" right there on a wide, flat plaza. I went first to show Anne that even a klutz could master a segway, and soon all four of us were swooping around with ease. I think our guide's name was Sergio, and there was also a second person from Cartagena segway to help. Cartagena has a lot of history as  a port that changed hands many times, and also was (and is) a center for shipbuilding. Early submarines were built there in the 1880s.

We swooped by the Maritime Museum (closed on Mondays) and learned about the ship names in the sidewalk bricks. We went to the Calle Major-lovely, filled with shops and cafes, and with a very photogenic City Hall. Then down the malecon to another interesting site, and up the small mountain to a scenic overlook. There was a castle, and we were also treated to a sweeping view of Cartagena, including Roman ruins and a soccer stadium.

All too soon we were returning our segways. Mr S and I decided to revisit the Calle Major on foot. We wondered around, bought some lottery tickets and magnets, and stopped at a cafe to have a snack. The croquettes were so-so, but the pour on the gin and tonic was very generous.

We tipped accordingly and headed back to the ship. Trivia and Happy Hour.

Next: Gibraltar

Edited by Sonora5
forgot something

On 12/3/2018 at 7:35 PM, Sonora5 said:

Such a great bunch of cruisers! Please everyone book the Rotterdam for Oct 3, 2020 TA. I will have some great tours for you! I already got some cool ideas from a friend who has done some of those French ports.

Already heard for KPitch (Kathy), she told her she booked this cruise, we are seriously going to consider it for 2020 as we had so much fun, love you guys......... you certainly made our cruise so enjoyable........

Diane

12 hours ago, xjust4fun said:

Already heard for KPitch (Kathy), she told her she booked this cruise, we are seriously going to consider it for 2020 as we had so much fun, love you guys......... you certainly made our cruise so enjoyable........

Diane

We love you too, get on board the Rotterdam with us!

13 hours ago, ZN1300 said:

Morning in Cartagena looking at another one of our yachts.

PA292335.JPG

I saw this, I mean your, "Sailing Yacht A" in Corfu in September. It's owned by a Russian oligarch and supposedly cost a half billion dollars!!! 

Edited by Chickens!
price correction

On 12/3/2018 at 5:35 PM, Sonora5 said:

Such a great bunch of cruisers! Please everyone book the Rotterdam for Oct 3, 2020 TA. I will have some great tours for you! I already got some cool ideas from a friend who has done some of those French ports.

Already booked. Need to get Anne and Eugene to sign up .

Gibraltar

We had always wanted to call in Gibraltar. We have sailed by it many times at night and could  only see the outline of the large rock. So we were really pleased to have this port this time.

We did a 3.5 hour tour with Inside Out Gibraltar tours that we booked with three other couples. Our guide, Dennis, was wonderful. He met us promptly at the pier, which was a relief because it was a cold and windy tour, raining off and on.

We got a great overview of the island with Dennis. He was very knowledgeable and fun, and promised not to let the monkeys jump on me. We saw the cave-big and spooky, and you can go down I don't know how far. Light up with blue and green lighting. There is a souvenir shop just outside.

We also visited where the macaques are fed, and then went on to the tunnel. This had the option of going in pretty far. We didn't go too far. There is a great place with an expansive view just outside the tunnel, and we got some cute pictures of a mother and baby monkey.

We also visited the moorish castle, interesting, and some big gun-100 ton? We went down by the sea, and then drove across the runway.

Dennis offered us the option of being dropped off in town but we all decided just to go back to the ship. For a rainy, windy day I think we did rather well.

Of course, since we were in a small van rather than a giant bus, we were able to drive right up to all the attractions.

Next: LIsbon