Duty payment in Norway

ropomo

I will be flying into Bergen Norway and due to the Norwegian duty free limits on cigars (cigars are classified as "loose tobacco" and limited to 250 grams per person duty free) I will most likely exceed this limit.  I am curious if: Norway customs officials will most likely wave me through for a small overage for personal use and leaving on a cruise ship; or if I do have to pay duty (likely about $25 US), what form of payment is accepted (do they take credit cards) as I won't have any Norwegian currency until reaching an ATM after customs?  I have been unable to find this info on any Norwegian Duty or other websites.

Norway is pretty strict about import duties, especially for alcohol and tobacco. If you are over the limit, you should declare it. If you fail to declare it and are caught (there are periodic spot checks, because given the high taxes, Norwegians bring on a LOT of duty free alcohol and tobacco) you will likely have to surrender all of it and possibly pay a fine.

Are you flying directly to Bergen from another country? If not, and you have a connecting flight in Norway (e.g. through Oslo), be aware that you will need to go through customs control at your first point of entry into Norway.

You can pay duty using a bank card. I don’t know about Bergen, but Oslo has a few self-service kiosks where you can calculate and pay the duty yourself.