Advice for Royal after Cruising with Carnival

After cruising 10 times with Carnival my first Royal ship was Oasis of the Seas.  I chose Oasis because I wanted to try what was at the time one of two of the largest cruise ships in the world.  This was before Harmony or Symphony.

I did my research, as every one should for any ship and from that I knew to book entertainment as soon as possible.  At first that felt weird, but at the same time in hindsight it provided some structure for the cruise.  On the largest three classes of Royal ships entertainment should not be missed.

Beyond the main shows, both lines change pub musicians, guest bands and comedians frequently so comparing those is meaningless.

My first experience in the Windjammer (like the Lido buffet) felt weird.  While on Carnival where there were long lines for all food stations, the Windjammer was more of people zipping in and out to different food stations.  That felt a little chaotic at first but I've grown to prefer it, it's much more efficient.  

Roughly half-way through my first Royal cruise I stopped saying "this isn't how Carnival does it" and I opened my mind and started looking at things from the perspective "this isn't what I'm used to but maybe it's better so let's find out".

Like you can't judge Carnival or NCL from just one cruise, you shouldn't judge Royal from just one cruise.  Each line has small, older ships and new, larger ships.  Comparing NCL Sky to Carnival Horizon just wouldn't be fair.  Neither would it be comparing any Oasis class ship to something else.  They are in a league of their own and I love them all, having sailed all Oasis class ships now.  They are not perfect and there are some things that I prefer on different classes of Royal ships over Oasis class but because they are so unique I think everyone should try one at some point in their cruising career.  

I often cruise without speciality dining.  There are some great dining options but some just don't strike a chord with me.  Dining is personal so follow your gut when it comes to specialty dining.  

In my opinion, Royal's loyalty program is better but that isn't very apparent until you reach Diamond.  That is roughly the same as reaching Platinum on Carnival and let's face it, until Platinum the VIFP program stinks.   Diamond on Royal in my opinion is superior to Platinum on Carnival.  

After my experience on Oasis I knew not to judge Royal just by that one experience so I tried Grandeur of the Seas having also sailed Carnival ships like Imagination to better compare apples to apples.  

At the end of the day only you know what is best for you.  Royal does tend to be a little more expensive than Carnival and for some people cheap is best.  That's okay, to each their own.  We are all fortunate there are many lines and ships to choose from.  That wasn't the case 20 years ago.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, OKLandShark said:

What are the things with Royal that are "must see"  or "must do" as far as ships, amenities and/or restaurants and dining options, etc.  What are you recommendations for the ships?

You're a veteran cruise so the one thing that is a must do is sail an Oasis Class ship. You may not like it in the end but you must try it. They are ships like no others. That's all I got. The rest of the ships probably won't surprise you with anything you haven't seen before.

• Like 1

I think your kids will enjoy Adventure Ocean. Sign up when you first board. Both parents should go so they each have sign-in and sign-out privileges. There is no extra charge for this, but the counselors appreciate tips -- -- -- maybe $10 to $20 on the last full day. You might even give the money to the kids and have them give it to one of the staff (with you watching of course).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruises-for-kids-and-teens

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

Liberty of the Seas kids pool and aqua park...

Edited by Jimnbigd
  • Like 1

I'm in Oklahoma, too (Tulsa area) and the drive to Galveston isn't too bad at all.  I've also done two cruises out of New Orleans, but those are smaller ships and New Orleans isn't the best place to take such young kids before a cruise.

Liberty is a great ship (she sails out of Galveston year round).  She's not quite the same as the Oasis class, but there's definitely a ton of things to do for both the adults and the kids (and you can drive there).  I've never cruised with such young ones, but the Adventure Ocean facilities seem amazing from everything I've seen about them.  Liberty has a great kids' pool, too (I wanted to play in it but didn't have a kid with me so didn't have an excuse).

I never posted my Harmony of the Seas review, but I'm just gonna say that it was an amazing ship that felt just a bit too big.  You go for the ship, not any of the ports.  I didn't mind having to make reservations, but it was a bit inconvenient because you couldn't easily change you mind at the last minute.  Especially for the comedy show.  But you have small children so aren't going to the comedy show anyway.  But the aqua show is something everyone should see at least once.  It was incredible.  One of the best shows I've seen anywhere.  Food and drink were great.  It was a fabulous ship for all the young 20 somethings in our party (and they did party).  But I missed the pool in the Solarium and hated the crowded Windjammer.  Jaime's Italian was incredible and our Central Park Balcony rooms were gorgeous and peaceful.  So, pros and cons.

That's why I suggested Liberty.  It's got water slides, rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating, a character parade (and maybe breakfast?), and enough variety to keep you and your kids busy.  It doesn't have the aqua show or zip line, but it's far easier to get to for you than FLL or MIA.

I took my elderly parents in 2016 and it was, honestly, even too big for them.  But they don't do all those activities.  They prefer seeing the sea, dining, listening to good music.  Relaxing.  So the radiance class is a better fit for them.  Which makes sense, right?  Every class has a different vibe to it and the larger ships seem to be more about the ship than the sea, imho.  That's not a criticism.  I'm looking forward to be able to take my kids (those 20 somethings) on the Liberty at some point. Just, different strokes for different folks.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure someone on this board will have an answer!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone! All the  info has been and will be hugely helpful!  Very informative!  You guys are awesome!  

I think when we get it decided, it will be either the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston or try out one of the Oasis class.  Just not sure yet!

Thanks again!

Edited by OKLandShark

21 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I'm in Oklahoma, too (Tulsa area) and the drive to Galveston isn't too bad at all.  I've also done two cruises out of New Orleans, but those are smaller ships and New Orleans isn't the best place to take such young kids before a cruise.

Liberty is a great ship (she sails out of Galveston year round).  She's not quite the same as the Oasis class, but there's definitely a ton of things to do for both the adults and the kids (and you can drive there).  I've never cruised with such young ones, but the Adventure Ocean facilities seem amazing from everything I've seen about them.  Liberty has a great kids' pool, too (I wanted to play in it but didn't have a kid with me so didn't have an excuse).

I never posted my Harmony of the Seas review, but I'm just gonna say that it was an amazing ship that felt just a bit too big.  You go for the ship, not any of the ports.  I didn't mind having to make reservations, but it was a bit inconvenient because you couldn't easily change you mind at the last minute.  Especially for the comedy show.  But you have small children so aren't going to the comedy show anyway.  But the aqua show is something everyone should see at least once.  It was incredible.  One of the best shows I've seen anywhere.  Food and drink were great.  It was a fabulous ship for all the young 20 somethings in our party (and they did party).  But I missed the pool in the Solarium and hated the crowded Windjammer.  Jaime's Italian was incredible and our Central Park Balcony rooms were gorgeous and peaceful.  So, pros and cons.

That's why I suggested Liberty.  It's got water slides, rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating, a character parade (and maybe breakfast?), and enough variety to keep you and your kids busy.  It doesn't have the aqua show or zip line, but it's far easier to get to for you than FLL or MIA.

I took my elderly parents in 2016 and it was, honestly, even too big for them.  But they don't do all those activities.  They prefer seeing the sea, dining, listening to good music.  Relaxing.  So the radiance class is a better fit for them.  Which makes sense, right?  Every class has a different vibe to it and the larger ships seem to be more about the ship than the sea, imho.  That's not a criticism.  I'm looking forward to be able to take my kids (those 20 somethings) on the Liberty at some point. Just, different strokes for different folks.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure someone on this board will have an answer!

Cool Thanks for all the info!  We are in Broken Arrow!  You are right, the drive to Galveston is a pretty easy and simple drive for being 9 or so hours!

1 hour ago, OKLandShark said:

Thanks to everyone! All the  info has been and will be hugely helpful!  Very informative!  You guys are awesome!  

I think when we get it decided, it will be either the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston or try out one of the Oasis class.  Just not sure yet!

Thanks again!

Let us know after you decided or after your cruise. We'd be interested on your thoughts, expectations and comparisons.

• Like 1

The question is very broad. Too many years and ships to comment on.

I always said my favorite ships are the Allure and Oasis. 

A lot of ships have the same things and then you hit on ones that are extra special and that is what I found in those two ships. 

But ask yourselves what you are wanting out of a cruise to help figure it out.

• Like 1