Help with Picking a Ship

Hi All! 

First of all, thanks to everyone in advance for their feedback and advice! 

Now, onto the question! 

The BF and I are looking into a Norwegian Fjord or Arctic Circle cruise next year and the ships in question are: 

• Explorer of the Seas
  • Serenade of the Seas 

I've only ever sailed with Norwegian - and the Allure on Royal Caribbean. Besides the Explorer being double the size of the Serenade and more Allure-like, as I think it has a Royal Promenade, are there any major differences that would deter me from picking based on itinerary rather than ship? 

Thanks!! 

I would personally pick based on itinerary as I would gladly sail either ship. 

With that said, Serenade is better suited for cold weather scenic cruising. She has a pool with a glass roof, as opposed to Explorer, which doesn't have an indoor pool. Serenade also has large glass windows in almost all public areas. Explorer has windows in many areas as well, but she doesn't feel as 'open' to me. 

Serenade has more windows so you can view the beautiful scenery from almost anywhere in the ship.  You will want to enjoy the scenery while the ship is moving.  If you get a balcony cabin you can also view it on the Explorer.  I'd go with Serenade if both itineraries are fine with you.  It's more a cold weather ship than Explorer.