Options after final payment

marcruiserswe

Hi all (again),

We are a few days away from final payment, unfortunately my mother in law is very ill again and we are a bit hesitant now how to proceed. Right now we can cancel everything with no cost, including the flights. However, what are the options if we do final payment? I know we can cancel according to the cancellation policy, but that will be quite costly, however can we also switch the cruise to a later cruise, even a 2020 cruise, if required without penalties?

The cruise is still 3 months away and hopefully everything works out, if we can rebook it (not cancel it) after final payment, then that would be an option to keep our cabin for February without exposing us to significant cancellation fees.

Thanks in advance!

So, a few details might help.

is your mother in law taking the cruise, or are you concerned about leaving her if she is ill?

Do you have any trip insurance?

Plan A would be to cancel, wait until closer and rebook if all is well.

Plan B would be to take your chances (at least BUY a trip insurance policy)

even though her already being ill might not be covered, might be a good time to talk to the trip insurance store........

1 hour ago, marcruiserswe said:

Hi all (again),

We are a few days away from final payment, unfortunately my mother in law is very ill again and we are a bit hesitant now how to proceed. Right now we can cancel everything with no cost, including the flights. However, what are the options if we do final payment? I know we can cancel according to the cancellation policy, but that will be quite costly, however can we also switch the cruise to a later cruise, even a 2020 cruise, if required without penalties?

The cruise is still 3 months away and hopefully everything works out, if we can rebook it (not cancel it) after final payment, then that would be an option to keep our cabin for February without exposing us to significant cancellation fees.

Thanks in advance!

Prior to Final Payment cancellation is not a problem.

After FP, you would need to have trip insurance to protect you.   Some people buy the Celebrity insurance as well as the insurance from the airlines.  Others purchase their own.  I had trip insurance for a cruise in 2010 and had to cancel due to my Mom's cancer and her passing away.  The insurance covered the cruise completely.  I had not purchased flight insurance for cancellation and that was lost.

At one time Celebrity would give you a partial credit to use on another cruise, something like 3/4 of what you paid.  Not sure they still do that.   That would be your only recourse if you had no insurance.  Also, if you have insurance, read the policy.  Was your Mother in Law booked for the cruise?   I recommend making a decision prior to FP.  Don't go past it unless you are absolutely sure your insurance will cover your cancellation.

Thanks everyone. We are just concerned to be “stuck” on a ship if it would get worse when we’re away, with limited options to get back home quickly. (mother in law is not traveling with us)

It sounds like cancellation is the best approach.

Edited by marcruiserswe