MedallionNet finally available on Ruby!

Cyn874

I've been checking the internet packages for my trip on Ruby Princess in April at least once a week, hoping to see some sort of MedallionNet package offered instead of the Minutes packages, since she was just in Drydock. Finally spotted what I was looking for just now- 

5066a2c3a9222e28420c2bbd39d1bc84.png

Considering they still have the Minutes listed just under that and 240 minutes is still listed at the exact same price as the Voyage package, I'm pretty excited. My Dad booked this cruise and I haven't linked my own credit card yet. Do I need to call Princess to set that up? I'm listed as one of the passengers but they don't have any payment info for me yet. Or can I do that all Online? I want to make sure the original booking stays linked to him, but I want to put the internet package and a coffee card on my own credit card.

Keep checking- I've been checking it obsessively. I also noticed sometimes the website will change when I'm on it. When I first went to the homepage a little bit ago, the background was completely black and it said Black Friday Sale- All cruises on sale. (I was logged out.) So I looked up my cruise and it was all still the same price. Went back to the home page and the Black Friday stuff was gone and it just showed the normal homepage. 

Definitely check the website on Friday. Not just for the internet, but log all the way out of the site and look up the pricing on your cruise. If they really are on sale, we might be able to cancel and refare - although I'd do that on the phone and not online, of course.

Our cruise is for April 8th, 2019, by the way, if anyone is curious which month I'm seeing MedallionNet available.

Edited by Cyn874

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

I've been checking the internet packages for my trip on Ruby Princess in April at least once a week, hoping to see some sort of MedallionNet package offered instead of the Minutes packages, since she was just in Drydock. Finally spotted what I was looking for just now- 

5066a2c3a9222e28420c2bbd39d1bc84.png

Considering they still have the Minutes listed just under that and 240 minutes is still listed at the exact same price as the Voyage package, I'm pretty excited. My Dad booked this cruise and I haven't linked my own credit card yet. Do I need to call Princess to set that up? I'm listed as one of the passengers but they don't have any payment info for me yet. Or can I do that all Online? I want to make sure the original booking stays linked to him, but I want to put the internet package and a coffee card on my own credit card.

For an upcoming cruise on the Emerald, the pricing and description are quite different. Instead of a single "MedallionNet Voyage package" they have three "PrincessCONNECT" packages with pre-cruise pricing. Note that this is for a 15 night voyage.

Social package - $99.99

Surf package -  $139.99

Premium package - $199.99

They also do not call it the "best WI-FI at sea." So I suspect they are offering these packages based on the pre-Medallion net technology.

Just because it says available to purchase is a long way from getting onboard and having it operable.

There have been quite a few posts in the last couple of weeks from returning Ruby cruisers that give a troubling story of actual operation and connectivity issues.   

Even on the CB that was operating flawlessly at high speed in August for our cruise is now having more issues.

Then the Regal is another story as well.  

I would strongly suggest getting the unlimited option so that you are not fighting to get the minutes you purchased restored everyday when the system has a glitch or 2. That way you can stay logged on 24/7 and not worry about it.

I hope they get it all working good in the near future.

10 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

My Dad booked this cruise and I haven't linked my own credit card yet. Do I need to call Princess to set that up? I'm listed as one of the passengers but they don't have any payment info for me yet. Or can I do that all Online? I want to make sure the original booking stays linked to him, but I want to put the internet package and a coffee card on my own credit card.

Add the package to your 'cart'. then do the same with the coffee card. When you go to pay for it they will ask for credit card information, you can do it at that point without removing your wonderful dad's information.

Enjoy your cruise,

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

For an upcoming cruise on the Emerald, the pricing and description are quite different. Instead of a single "MedallionNet Voyage package" they have three "PrincessCONNECT" packages with pre-cruise pricing. Note that this is for a 15 night voyage.

Social package - $99.99

Surf package -  $139.99

Premium package - $199.99

They also do not call it the "best WI-FI at sea." So I suspect they are offering these packages based on the pre-Medallion net technology.

Yes, I was very surprised to not see the Social/Surf/Premium package listed. But I think it might be because this *is* the Premium package. It says 50% off and the description includes streaming, so that sounds about right. I work 2 jobs from home online so internet is pretty critical for me. I was counting on having to wait til I get to the Hawaii ports and trying to find some wifi then, but this would be fantastic. I'm going to get it today! 

The slow internet is exactly why I refuse to pay for any of the 'minutes' packages, so I was really crossing my fingers that the Social/Surf/Premium packages would be available by the time I sail. 

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would strongly suggest getting the unlimited option so that you are not fighting to get the minutes you purchased restored everyday when the system has a glitch or 2. That way you can stay logged on 24/7 and not worry about it.

I hope they get it all working good in the near future.

The question I have been trying to get an authoritative answer to is if you have the platinum/elite free minutes and when first signing is are offered a chance to switch to an unlimited package for $xx amount, is that amount the same, less than or more than the pre-cruise price which is available to everyone, not just platinum/elite passengers?

If it is not at a discount to the pre-cruise pricing, then the platinum/elite benefit is basically worthless as you would give up the free minutes and pay more for the unlimited option than everyone could have paid pre-cruise.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:45 AM, puggleperson said:

May I ask what this is? Is it internet minutes? I'm a little confused..regardless I doubt I would buy it for $99 bucks unless it was something really special. I'm going on the Ruby Saturday. Thanks 

Yes, internet. Expensive and (usually) slower than molasses.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:45 AM, puggleperson said:

May I ask what this is? Is it internet minutes? I'm a little confused..regardless I doubt I would buy it for $99 bucks unless it was something really special. I'm going on the Ruby Saturday. Thanks 

It is for an unlimited number of Internet minutes.

6 hours ago, DShock said:

Is this available on Emerald?  Wonder how it compares to RCCL's VOOM, which is very fast.

See post #4 above about the Emerald.

Those who have experienced  MedallionNET on the Regal have reported that it can be very fast. 

12 hours ago, caribill said:

It is for an unlimited number of Internet minutes.

oh okay thanks. I have zero desire to go on the internet when I'm on vacation so that wouldn't apply to me. I think I get a certain amount of internet minutes being platinum on Princess but never used them. If I did happen to use them It would be to get my candy crush rewards lol....  It's only 7 day though, I can live without the internet.. That's cool for people who like to use the internet to contact family and stuff .. 🙂

Disembarked the Ruby this morning. The Medallion is not available and in speaking to the officers, there’s no ETA. 

There are digital signs all over the ship and there are touch pads to open your cabin door. Cruise card appears to be exactly the same as usual. You hold the bar code up to the touch pad to unlock the door. Large TVs on the wall opposite the bed with on-demand movies. 

Saw nothing else that looked like the ship is being prepared for the Medallion. 

No Internet the entire week and most of the time, you couldn’t even access Princess@Sea. Had to go to the Passenger Services Desk a couple of times to get folio printouts. While it was nice to be unplugged for the week, it was also annoying that neither the Intranet nor Internet was working. Was able to use Princess@Sea only sporadically whether I was in the Internet Cafe, outside or in my cabin.

A1D3DB6D-065A-4C84-AE0F-113722D8E462.jpeg

59E33B54-3CD3-43F2-B76F-A6855FC8641E.jpeg

58CA29BA-169A-422F-A87A-D3D1E73F6AD9.jpeg

799BD40F-3BB8-4268-B536-935C6F08B94B.jpeg

22 hours ago, DShock said:

Is this available on Emerald?  Wonder how it compares to RCCL's VOOM, which is very fast.

Yes, fast, streaming, internet is available on Emerald, but in 3 "tiers" of bandwidth priority.

It's the same satellites as RCI's VOOM, with the same vulnerabilities to latitudes north of about Seattle and

Southampton -- which bothers Princess a lot more than RCI because RCI stays mostly in the ...Caribbean.

Edited by Haboob
DShock's "this" wasn't clear without the prior post.