Day-by-day Journal of Nov. 4th Viking Rhine River Cruise

BikeTreker

My wife, two friends and I just returned from our November 4, 2018 Viking Rhine River Cruise.  The trip was very nice; even swapping boats was not a problem.  We traveled from Amsterdam to Basel and every stop was great.  For those of you who are interested, I am posting on my blog a day-by-day journal.  You can find it at http://www.travelswithcappy.com.  Let me know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How timely you should post this! To make a long story short, my cousin and her daughter recently lost their husband/father, so have booked a trip to Amsterdam for Christmas/New Year's, as somewhere that holds no family memories for them, so as to mark a starting point in their new lives. 

I was there a generation ago, so can't be of much help to them directly for ideas of what to see and do. 

Thanks Geezer.  I hope your family enjoys Amsterdam as much as we did.  It's a great city and certain to take their minds off their recent loss.

Also, thanks to Sawtooth for your reply.  

I will be posting more or less daily as I finish and edit my photos and words.  I just posted Cologne.  Next up is Marksburg's Castle.

• Like 2

I just posted "Viking River Boats, Hlin and Kara, and swapping on the Rhine."  Take a look for photos of the two boats and for my description of our boat swap.  Swapping is far preferable to the alternative and the swap was accomplished with a minimum of disruption.  The blog is located at www.travelswithcappy.com.

Edited by BikeTreker
To include link
  • Like 2

Hi Everyone,  I posted Colmar yesterday only to find out that there was a "glitch" and apparently my post disappeared.  Sorry!  I repaired the problem and it should be working now.  Let me know what you think.

I am now working on Basel and Lucerne and hope to have them up soon. 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:17 PM, BikeTreker said:

Continuing, I just posted Colmar and Breisach, November 10, 2018.  You can find it at www.travelswithcappy.com.  I hope you find it interesting.  Let me know.

Those are wonderful pictures, especially of Colmar, a lovely town which I know well having lived not far from there for three years. Alsace is one of my favourite regions of France.

It’s too bad you didn’t have a chance to see the magnificent Retable d’Issenheim at the Unterlinden Museum there.  It’s one of the glories of mediaeval art and many people travel to Colmar principally to see it.  Perhaps you will have an opportunity another time. For those who are reading this and will be visiting Colmar in the future, they should certainly try to fit in a visit to the Underlinden to see it.

I’m quite enjoying your blog as your narrative and photos back fond memories of the many places you stopped along the Rhine.

For those of you who have been following our Rhine River journey, I have posted my last entry.  I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog as much as I enjoyed writing it.  While I do this for my friends, family and me, I also do it for those of you who are interested in travel and find the experiences of others interesting.  Let me know what you think; constructive criticism is always welcome.  You can find my blog at travelswithcappy.com.  Our next trip is in January to the Caribbean and April 2019 will find us in Japan.  Happy Holidays!