Hubbard vs. Tracy Arm?

39august

Which of these is more spectacular? I've only done Tracy Arm with Sawyer glacier, and it was the highlight of my Alaska cruise. Some friends want me to recommend a ship for Alaska and I want them to have the very best sight-seeing for their very first cruise.

I have done both and by far Hubbard Glacier is the more spectacular in my opinion. Also do not forget Glacier Bay and College Fiord another place for glaciers. But since you asked by Tracy Arm and Hubbard, Hubbard is the place to go.NNot all ships go to Glacier Bay or College Fiord.

Marilyn

Hubbard and Tracy Arm are so different it's hard to even compare them - they are both incredible for different reasons. However, the calving ice from the Sawyer glaciers often blocks access to much of Tracy Arm, so I wouldn't consider a cruise on which Tracy Arm was the only glacier-viewing opportunity.

Murray

Be careful in recommending itineraries. We are booked on the Vision w/ RCCL for 7/21/06 and they have dropped Tracy Arm for the entire season this year. I know that the Serenade has also made changes to its itin.

I have never been to Alaska before and was so looking forward to seeing Tracy Arm but because we are going at peak time, it is too late to change ships without paying alot more $$$ for comparable cabins. We too searched the message boards prior to booking and it seems to me that there are so many different opinions as to which glacier is best, it's all subjective. Our decision was based on going out of Seattle for cheaper airfare and spending more time in the ports. (Besides we had balcony cabins on the back of the ship which we thought would give a great panoramic view of Tracy Arm) Instead we are getting into Juneau earlier and they will bus us to Mendenhall glacier. Somehow I don't think that's a fair trade off. Good luck with your decision, and happy cruising!!

I give an edge to viewing Tracy Arm from a noncruise ship and sailing all day there. :) But definately Hubbard is just wonderful to see and usually is a very active calving glacier. I've sailed all the glacier areas of cruise ships and Glacier Bay is still my favorite. :) But they all will take your breath away!!! Enjoy the unique views.

Archived