Advice please on Beverage Packages

matchagirl

Need the wisdom of Royal Caribbean experts, please. We are sailing on Symphony in January. Have cruised a few times, but the last time we were on RC was over 20 years ago. 

I see that most folks are buying beverage packages. We will have 6 in our group - my elderly mom, 3 kids (17-21 yrs), husband and I. None of us drink alcohol. Three of us drink coffee in the mornings, all drink water through the day, and the kids will probably drink an occasional soda, juice, milkshake or whatever. Would a beverage package save us money? If so, which package should we get? Does anyone know the going prices of drinks ala carte?

The refreshment package might be it - is there a limit on how many drinks a day?

Also, I remember in previous cruises on other lines, we'd go to breakfast and drink coffee there. Beverages are included with meals, right? 

Apologies for the basic questions. I don't remember buying so many pre-cruise packages before. (And on one cruise, we had a balcony suite, so there were extra perks like the captain's lounge where we could pick up bottled water or snacks. This time we have a regular room.) 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by matchagirl
added a question

6 minutes ago, matchagirl said:

Thanks, Clarea. I've heard the water tastes chlorinated...in which case I think we'd stick to bottled water.

You are allowed to bring 12 containers (each no larger than 500ml) of non-alcoholic beverages per stateroom.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, matchagirl said:

I see that most folks are buying beverage packages. We will have 6 in our group - my elderly mom, 3 kids (17-21 yrs), husband and I. None of us drink alcohol. Three of us drink coffee in the mornings, all drink water through the day, and the kids will probably drink an occasional soda, juice, milkshake or whatever. Would a beverage package save us money? If so, which package should we get? Does anyone know the going prices of drinks ala carte?

You can get coffee at breakfast, and if the only other thing 3 of you are drinking is some bottled water, you're probably better off just buying them a la carte.   As for the kids, they can get juice at breakfast and milkshakes at Johnny Rockets won't be included in any package anyway so they'll pay a la carte for those regardless.  Look at the price of the soda package, figure out how many sodas they'll drink each day and then decide if it's worth getting them a soda package. 

• Like 1

Regular coffees, iced teas, some flavored waters and juces from dispensing machines in the buffet are available without extra charge. Water by glass in any bar or from water dispenser in the buffet is also free of charge and tastes the same ( to me) as a bottled water. I have not tried tap water ( psychological barrier, I guess), but it is possible water I am referring to above was in fact tap water. The complimentary coffee are available in multiple venues throughout the ship. They are served in all food venues (buffet, restaurants, caffes that are right next to specialty coffee venues). There is specialty coffees for purchase and RCI currently selling $31 coffee card good for 15 specialty coffee drinks. Card is not per person but for number of drinks, so all can share one card. If you drink lattes and cappuccinos that card would make sense, as capuchino is $4-$5 while regular coffee from specialty coffee venue is $2-$3. I believe that soda package comes with special large and cumbersome cup that is to be used in special dispensers located throughout the ship and there are only few of them around and it's a big ship. It's extremely inconvenient to carry those cups around. They are unsightly too. Ofcourse, you probably can order sodas in various venues without a cup,  but check on that. From what you are describing you don't need any packages at all, probably not even a coffee card either. I read somewhere on these boards that can of soda is about $2.50 and bottle of water $3-$4 ( they add 18% Gratuities to all drinks). There is a water package available for under $40 if I am not mistaken. If you absolutely must drink bottled water that maybe the only package that makes sense for you. Like the person above stated, you can bring a case of water and sodas on board .

Edited by olya1972
Spelling
  • Like 1

If the only thing you need is bottled water and Th  12 bottles per cabin aren’t enough,  it would be less expensive to bring empty water bottles and by a case of Evian onboard. The prices are 12 liters for $39, 24 liters for $69. 

• Like 1

Our 20YO gets the refreshment package as she likes specialty coffee, smoothies & such. (BTW I find the ships coffee undrinkable; but the tap water typically is fine. Yes, the water at the buffets, etc. is the same as in your stateroom faucet..)

Our 18YO doesn't drink coffee so he just gets a soda package. 

Honestly when I haven't gotten a deluxe package, I just get a coffee card & drink free drinks or tap water. 

• Like 1

As most say, if your needs are basically bottled water and the occasional coffee only the water package seems to be of value for you, and perhaps a coffee card if all of you reach 15 coffee drinks. For the occasional remaining items you'll be absolutely better a la carte!...

Well: To each his own really, but I'm on the likes of the ones whom will only drink bottled water aboard. I know: Drinks, speciality coffees and the likes do use ship water, but I also hope that those machines to have a filter at least... To drink direct tap water from the ship... That is a no-no!... Psychological barrier? Maybe, but no thanks! Nor even from the bar!..

Have a nice day!... 🙂

• Like 1

Only you can decide what is best for your family group. To simplify, included with your cruise fare:  coffee (not specialty), water (not bottled), hot and iced tea, white and chocolate milk, hot chocolate, juice at breakfast (not fresh squeezed orange juice), lemonade and usually some type of fruit punch or flavored water in the buffet. 

Soda to purchase is $4.13 a can, which includes the automatic gratuity. 

A glass of iced water is available at no charge at any bar or food location. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, matchagirl said:

Thanks, Clarea. I've heard the water tastes chlorinated...in which case I think we'd stick to bottled water.

Just got of the 12 night Symphony and drank plenty of tap water, no smell or odd chlorinated taste. We had the Evian package that my wife prefers but I thought the cabin tap water was better.  The beverage package seems like total overkill.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, olya1972 said:

I believe that soda package comes with special large and cumbersome cup that is to be used in special dispensers located throughout the ship and there are only few of them around and it's a big ship. It's extremely inconvenient to carry those cups around. They are unsightly too. Ofcourse, you probably can order sodas in various venues without a cup,  but check on that.

When you purchase the soda package (or any "big" package that includes free soda) you do get the large travel mug with a chip in the bottom that you can use with the serve-yourself soda dispensers.  BUT you also get a sticker on your card saying you have that package and can get a soda in a regular glass pretty much anywhere on the ship that serves soda.  You don't have to carry the special mug around the ship with you if you don't want to.

Edited by waterbug123
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

As most say, if your needs are basically bottled water and the occasional coffee only the water package seems to be of value for you, and perhaps a coffee card if all of you reach 15 coffee drinks. For the occasional remaining items you'll be absolutely better a la carte!...

Well: To each his own really, but I'm on the likes of the ones whom will only drink bottled water aboard. I know: Drinks, speciality coffees and the likes do use ship water, but I also hope that those machines to have a filter at least... To drink direct tap water from the ship... That is a no-no!... Psychological barrier? Maybe, but no thanks! Nor even from the bar!..

Have a nice day!... 🙂

Do you get ice in your drinks at the bar?

• Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 9:14 PM, Host Clarea said:

If you are OK with drinking the ship's tap water, no beverage package is necessary.

If people are apprehensive about the ship's tap water,  maybe they can bring along a small inexpensive filter.  Something that can filter particles and has a charcoal filter to remove any objectionable taste.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Have a nice day!... 🙂

All cruise ship have their own water filtration/purification systems

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, for all the great insights and tips! You have reassured me that we won't go thirsty on our cruise. Broke maybe, but not thirsty! 😄

Couple more questions: 

Where is the buffet located?
Do any of the specialty coffee places serve matcha drinks? 
(see my username LOL)

Edited by matchagirl