Doctor visit on the Queen Mary 2

Jeffrey1950

3 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Can someone give me an idea what the cost involved is to see the Doctor on board and  have a prescription filled...just wondering. Hoping I will not need to do this but just in case.

Two years ago my husband had an access tooth and one side of his face was all swollen.  The visit to medical and the prescription was $93.  

2 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Did you have to pay up front and get reimbursed? It would just be a refill for an antibiotic if I needed it.

Thank you for your reply !!

They don't have every med on board.  One year, my husband was short on one medication and they didn't have it.  I had to call our pharmacy and they were able to refill it at CVS in San Juan.  This year, we aren't stopping in San Juan and I'm not sure how easy it is to have prescriptions filled on some of the other islands.  I would be sure to take an ample supply or get it refilled, if possible, before you leave.

It is wise to have more than the minimum of any prescribed medicine with you that will get you to the cruise, during the cruise and until you get back home again. The medical center is not a full service pharmacy . I have a Medicare Advantage plan and I have never had any problem getting the next prescription filled even with ample left on the current one. I tell them I will be out of the country for an extended period of time. One word of caution some medications have a set number of re-fills, but may require a Dr. visit for an new prescription when the refills have been exhausted. Check with your pharmacy and your doctor.

15 minutes ago, Ubarrow said:

Anyone know what the helicopter costs? I bet that makes a dent in the insurance excess!

2 years ago my wife had to be airlifted back to the UK from St Martin via new York   from the Q.V COST $156,000

As to refilling an Rx early by reason of upcoming travel, different insurers (including Medicare Advantage and Part D) have different policies.  Some grant waivers easily, some only if you persist, and some not at all. If you plan ahead, you can game the system by starting to refill at the earliest allowable date a couple of refills before your planned departure.