Anyone over 6 in Cabin must buy Voom?

DebJ14

I logged on to see if there were any Black Friday specials on Voom packages.  Imagine my surprise to find that anyone over 6 in the cabin had to buy the package. I was able to just buy one package for one device when we sailed 6 months ago.   Neither of my grandchildren, both over 6  will be bringing any devices (they don't have any)  nor will my husband.  He had to turn in his iphone when he got laid off and just bought a cheap phone without internet access. so he no longer needs a package.  His only other device is a desktop computer, which is definitely not coming with us.  We wanted to be able to stay in touch with the grandchildren's parents, but not at a cost of $279.72.  

We have decided it will be cheaper to use the phone in the room to call home on the sea days and in Belize and Roatan.  I will be able to use my phone the 2 days we are in Mexico as if I were home with no additional fees.  

Honestly, if we did not have a fare with a non-refundable deposit we would be canceling the RCCL cruise for May, even though it is for a special occasion.

I promptly went over to check on our upcoming Carnival cruise and I was able to buy a package for one person for one device, so at least I was able to accomplish something yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

I logged on to see if there were any Black Friday specials on Voom packages.  Imagine my surprise to find that anyone over 6 in the cabin had to buy the package. I was able to just buy one package for one device when we sailed 6 months ago.   Neither of my grandchildren, both over 6  will be bringing any devices (they don't have any)  nor will my husband.  He had to turn in his iphone when he got laid off and just bought a cheap phone without internet access. so he no longer needs a package.  His only other device is a desktop computer, which is definitely not coming with us.  We wanted to be able to stay in touch with the grandchildren's parents, but not at a cost of $279.72.  

We have decided it will be cheaper to use the phone in the room to call home on the sea days and in Belize and Roatan.  I will be able to use my phone the 2 days we are in Mexico as if I were home with no additional fees.  

Honestly, if we did not have a fare with a non-refundable deposit we would be canceling the RCCL cruise for May, even though it is for a special occasion.

I promptly went over to check on our upcoming Carnival cruise and I was able to buy a package for one person for one device, so at least I was able to accomplish something yesterday. 

They do want to prevent you from charing!:classic_biggrin:

28 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Either you are reading it wrong or there is a typo on the website. There is not nor ever has been a requirement on internet package purchases. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Either you are reading it wrong or there is a typo on the website. There is not nor ever has been a requirement on internet package purchases. 

I got the same msg when ordering the drink pkg. It said all passengers over the age of 6 needed to purchase the pkg.

Sorry, but I just tried it again and you have to everyone over 6 in the same cabin purchase the Voom package.   Maybe they are doing it on the Black Friday specials and once the sale is over I will be able to pay full price for just 1 person.

57 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Sorry, but I just tried it again and you have to everyone over 6 in the same cabin purchase the Voom package.   Maybe they are doing it on the Black Friday specials and once the sale is over I will be able to pay full price for just 1 person.

If you are getting a good price in this sale I would call, and not wait. I just checked and despite seeing this verbiage in the description, I was able to add the package to only one person in a cabin and continue with the checkout. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 hour ago, DebJ14 said:

No, it's just poor programming by their IT team - you can call and buy a single VOOM package.

5 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

Did you actually TRY it, or just see the verbiage on the Cruise Planner?

Select a one-device plan, then go check out, then only check-mark your name for the product, then pay.