Allure of the Seas W. Caribbean Nov 25 to Dec 2: Mobility issues but having fun

Neeny12

Just a quick live review. Double knee replacement in the near future.

Went through security at the port of Miami and they told me I had to scan my cane but unlike airport security they did not provide a wooden one. The security person had to hold my hand to  walk through the scanner. This was fine but was worried about walking unassisted.

Muster: I was told I had to walk down the stairs as the elevators weren’t working. I said well everyone will be late because I’m very slow on stairs.  The next floors’ attendants offered the elevators  but I told them I was told they were not working. I walked down from 10 to 6 where the staff told me to use the elevator because it was just a drill and the elevators are working. My muster was on 4 in Studio B. Now I know for mext time.

Kindness: People have been very kind and move out of the path when they see me coming through with a cane - even on the elevators.

11 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I sailed shortly after meniscus surgery. Did not have to use stairs for muster drill. I checked with guest services and they told me to let staff know and I was allowed to ride elevator. Also did muster drill in a separate area with wheelchair passengers , people on crutches, etc. 

Duly noted.

Did the 7am stretch class (no fee). I had to do some modifications due to my knees but it was good. Going to try the TRX class at 8:30 ($20). I do TRX with my trainer at home so I will modify anything here that doesn’t agree with my range of motion. I’ll try to get in a quick workout before class. DH is running this morning. I love the encouragement signs on that track. There’s a great view from the back of the ship too. The gym is busy but lots of equipment is still available. I have an OA brace on one leg but wish I had brought my cane for my other one. I won’t be doing any stairs without it. Between the stairs and lots of walking yesterday, the one knee kept me awake a number of times last night. 

We always check the time for muster, and make sure we are on the floor well before that time.  Sometimes being disabled, requires some planning, like avoiding the "rushes" that occur at certain times or events on the ship. 

There is always a special place to go for muster, after you check into your station. 

Not all airports are that friendly and they do not always have proper canes ready for your use.  Most do.  Many ports, that have security scans, also are a hit or miss with having the proper equipment, but we always find that they are helpful, and caring (mostly).

4 hours ago, Neeny12 said:

Did the 7am stretch class (no fee). I had to do some modifications due to my knees but it was good. Going to try the TRX class at 8:30 ($20). I do TRX with my trainer at home so I will modify anything here that doesn’t agree with my range of motion. I’ll try to get in a quick workout before class. DH is running this morning. I love the encouragement signs on that track. There’s a great view from the back of the ship too. The gym is busy but lots of equipment is still available. I have an OA brace on one leg but wish I had brought my cane for my other one. I won’t be doing any stairs without it. Between the stairs and lots of walking yesterday, the one knee kept me awake a number of times last night. 

If you think icing down at night would help (I had to do 2-3 times daily after my meniscus surgery), ask your room steward for a big bucket of ice and plastic bags - explain what you need it for so they understand. My steward brought a bucket similar to the ones you see staff taking to bars/food service and lots of towels and plastic bags. I sat outside and iced my knee frequently. Just thought that might help before bed. 

4 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

If you think icing down at night would help (I had to do 2-3 times daily after my meniscus surgery), ask your room steward for a big bucket of ice and plastic bags - explain what you need it for so they understand. My steward brought a bucket similar to the ones you see staff taking to bars/food service and lots of towels and plastic bags. I sat outside and iced my knee frequently. Just thought that might help before bed. 

Thanks I will definitely order ice.

I hope your cruise is going wonderful. Wife and I will be on the allure in just a few weeks. I was wondering if you have a chance if you could take pictures of the MDR menus. Also any idea what the movies that are playing at the pool each night are? 

Thank You

I don’t have pics of the menus but if you download the app. I think they were posted at least a few weeks before the cruise. Not sure if the movies are posted there early. The movies are Black Panther, Jurassic Park, Mission Impossible: Fallout,  Three Strangers, Solo a Star Wars Story, Won’t you be My Neighbor and some unnamed Autism Friendly movies and some unnamed Family Friendly movies. 

The movies play in the Amber Theatre, the Aqua Theatre and the Adventure Ocean Theatre. I don’t see anything listed by the pools. Not sure if they do that on this ship/line.

I ordered the ice and it helped with the pain during the night. 

I tried the TRX class yesterday and it was great. I was doing a few of the exercises with my trainer and learned a few new exercises on it yesterday. My goal is to be as strong as possible going into surgery so that recovery goes a bit better this time.

Now the trick is to keep the food and drinking under control. I am now veering away from those wonderful frozen sugary fruity drinks to simple classics with low cal or no mixes. 🍸 Dinner portions have been huge and I am eating half of what they give me. We eat in the MDR with My Time Dining. I know food is subjective hearing some criticism on these boards, but we always eat there and have not been disappointed yet - this is our 6th cruise. I also have a severe lactose intolerance and the MDR is very accommodating. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few more comments.

🙄 The Elevator Incident:

I was getting off at 3rd deck to go to dinner. It wasn’t crowded but two women tried to get on before I got off. One pushed past me before I or anyone else got off. I was ticked off because she made enough physical contact to throw me off balance. She and her friend were very very large so anyone pushing back would have had extreme difficulty so I didn’t. I said could you please let me off first? She said “Well get off!” The kicker is she said that before anyone got off and she was on.😡

😉 The Unexpected passengers without sea pass cards:

I went down a ramp on the starboard side beside the FlowRider. The rope should have been my first clue...

My knees were aching so I decided to lift  the rope and go through instead of going to port side. I didn’t see the maintenance staff at first but then I saw him waiving wildly then running (yes running on deck) towards me from behind the sports court yelling “It’s closed! It’s closed” I thought it was closed for Paint...

BUT the next thing I heard him yell (he’s still about 30 feet away from me) was...

”BEES!”

I turned and saw on the starboard rail, just past the ramp from FlowRider, the largest swarm of bees 🐝 I have ever seen (I’ve never seen one before). I was only 3 feet away. I backed up slowly and made the trek over to port side.🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

The Survey:

I continued to the part where they ask you to rate your ports and was perplexed about this one referring to your Sea days. I made the logical selection:

C1622E39-A770-40B0-BE33-9366F7FD225B.png

My husband had an accident and had his quad tendon surgically reattached one week before this sailing.  We went after Dr cleared us,  and had no issues even though he was extremely limited and on crutches.   We used the elevator in the new terminal A upon arrival.   Daily our room steward filled our ice bucket twice so he could ice. He even managed to hot tub without getting his knee wet! We didn't think we could get off the ship in Costa Maya-  but they had a trolley from ship to port which was so helpful!  We also got off in Roatan, as that port was very close to ship.

We were unsure if we should go after his accident but so glad we did!! We had an excellent cruise. :))