Earliest Flight Home?

LarryCruiser

I'm on a Royal Caribbean cruise next year that arrives back in Ft. Lauderdale at 5:30am (Adventure of the Seas, 8-day Eastern Caribbean).  We're booking flights ourselves and wanted to know what time disembarkation is and whether we could make a 10:15 flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale airport without rushing.  Thank you!

Day of week? Time of year? Domestic flight? Which airline?

If a weekend during the peak season Adventure will likely be at Terminal 29. No way I would book a flight before 11:30 were this the case.

But if the ship is turning around on a weekday with no Oasis-class ship in port you could be at Terminal 18. At which self-carry disembarkation usually starts before 6:30 so you have a decent chance.

"Without rushing" is in the eye of the beholder. If you cannot do self-carry disembarkation and have to collect your bags in the terminal you will be doing some serious rushing to get to FLL before 8:45. And bag check and security lines will be a white-knuckle experience by that hour. Only you can say how much of a worrier you would be during your cruise knowing you are cutting it so close when disembarking.

If you were on one of the RCI Mega Ships I would say you will be fine as they have an amazing disembarkation process.

In this case I would want to know more information.

Specifically what is your date of disembarkation?  Also do you have TSA pre check?

Keith

For a 10:15 flight you need to be at FLL by 8:45 (earlier is better - TSA lines are bad on busy days).  The airport is only a 10-15 minute cab ride from the port, so that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:00.  Sounds like a VERY low number or carrying your own bags off might work.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :classic_unsure:  I would relax and book a flight leaving about noon or later, but it is your call.

OP , I guess it boils down to how you cope with stress and what your backup plan/cost would be should you miss the flight.

Yes it is possible to make that flight. One little hiccup and you might not.

I have made it to FLL from POM by 9:15 a.m. once, but still wouldn't chance a morning flight.

Cruise lines suggest noon or later flights for a reason.