What is the one valuable lesson you learned on your first cruise 🚢

Mommawo

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

Oh my I would flip if I missed my ship!

It's always a 'roll of the dice' with regards to my wife. I must say that she is doing better the last few years. 

The first time it happened I almost flipped out too. I wanted to get off the ship and wait for her but Carnival recommended that I stay on-board with our stuff.  That was the right choice. My wife doesn't care, especially if the next day is a sea day. Her plan is to spend an extra day where she is (shopping) and meet the ship at the next port. If the next port is our home port then the plan is to meet at the airport.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve551 said:

Learned from my first cruise?  My motorhome is no longer my favorite vacation transportation.

Learned from several cruises:

Remember what my wife wears when we get off the ship (I take a photo now); make a note of where/when I last saw her; and when I get back to the ship after whatever we have planned (she always stays on shore to shop). I make sure that her overnight bag is packed, so that when the ships security calls asking:

(1)"IF" my wife is on-board.

(2) Where/when did I last see her?

(3) What was she wearing (I can email them the photo).

This usually ends with ship security coming to the cabin to get the bag I packed for her so that she'll have something to wear until she meets back up with me at our next port AND her passport, if she didn't take it with her, so that she can leave the country to meet up with me at the next port.

My wife is  legend on some cruise lines......

My mind is so blown right now. Missing the ship is probably my biggest fear when cruising. She regularly misses it on purpose? Isn't that more expensive than island hopping by plane?

• Like 1

To each his own....but I am also in the camp of "My butt will be back on the ship WELL before time to leave". I would definitely have a panic attack if i missed the ship.

However, I love that you guys have a plan in place for what to do when this happens. If it works for you and you both still enjoy your vacation, then more power to you 😀.

Incidentally, there are some videos on youtube (like a video review type thing) that this one couple did.....there was another couple on board their cruise that was late back to the ship at something like 5 out of 7 ports and missed the ship altogether at another port. They have John Heald on the PA system in the video....it's kinda funny. I will look for the link.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, emoorehead said:

To each his own....but I am also in the camp of "My butt will be back on the ship WELL before time to leave". I would definitely have a panic attack if i missed the ship.

However, I love that you guys have a plan in place for what to do when this happens. If it works for you and you both still enjoy your vacation, then more power to you 😀.

Incidentally, there are some videos on youtube (like a video review type thing) that this one couple did.....there was another couple on board their cruise that was late back to the ship at something like 5 out of 7 ports and missed the ship altogether at another port. They have John Heald on the PA system in the video....it's kinda funny. I will look for the link.

I've seen that video LOL  That wasn't my wife.

My wife has gotten better the past 2 or 3 years. Although she was almost left behind by a tour bus in Naples as recently as 2017. We were on a tour where we were using radios. We had a short lunch stop and the guide asked us to remain in the area. Of course my wife didn't listen, took her "ear thingy" out of her ear and went shopping. She didn't hear the guide's instructions to follow him to the bus, which was parked quite a distance from the entrance to Pompeii. He asked me if I had looked for her, I told him "no", just to leave her that she would be okay but he said that he would get fired if he did. To make a long story short the guide and I searched and found her.  Usually I stay with her to ensure that this doesn't happen. I don't remember how she got away from me this time.... it's happened before!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve551 said:

I've seen that video LOL  That wasn't my wife.

My wife has gotten better the past 2 or 3 years. Although she was almost left behind by a tour bus in Naples as recently as 2017. We were on a tour where we were using radios. We had a short lunch stop and the guide asked us to remain in the area. Of course my wife didn't listen, took her "ear thingy" out of her ear and went shopping. She didn't hear the guide's instructions to follow him to the bus, which was parked quite a distance from the entrance to Pompeii. He asked me if I had looked for her, I told him "no", just to leave her that she would be okay but he said that he would get fired if he did. To make a long story short the guide and I searched and found her.  Usually I stay with her to ensure that this doesn't happen. I don't remember how she got away from me this time.... it's happened before!

I would be beyond pissed at my husband lol however we are both very punctual people.  I would absolutely flip out if we missed the ship.  You are a very patient man.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

My mind is so blown right now. Missing the ship is probably my biggest fear when cruising. She regularly misses it on purpose? Isn't that more expensive than island hopping by plane?

It is never on purpose. She just gets 'out and about' looking for local artist and loses track of time. Yes, to arrange non-scheduled travel can be expensive, even last minute scheduled travel can be pricey. It hasn't happened too many times. Her being the last one on the ship has happened frequently but she usually makes it. Like I say, she is much better now. 10-15 years ago??? Watch out!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

I would be beyond pissed at my husband lol however we are both very punctual people.  I would absolutely flip out if we missed the ship.  You are a very patient man.  

Never pissed, I know that my wife is a very capable person (with a lot of life insurance) plus I have great stories to share with friends/family.... Any money she pisses away like that a matching amount goes into my WSOP poker tournament fund....

Let me add, no one in the family will shop with my wife! On shore or on a cruise....  We were taking son #3 and his lovely wife on a cruise. She told my son that she was afraid to go shopping with my wife because she didn't want to miss the ship  LOL.  Quite the reputation huh?

Edited by Steve551
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

DON'T RELY ON THE ATM!!! i was young and dumb and kinda broke on my first cruise. payday fell on a cruise day so i figured i'd just go to the atm on the ship and use that for the second half of the cruise (this was before debit cards). i hit the atm, which was early on day 2, and it was empty! literally. by day 5, i had to borrow from my friends and, because i had to conserve early on, i didn't get to buy stuff that i wanted (sniff, sniff). i didn't even think about them not loading it throughout the cruise.

1 minute ago, Steve551 said:

Never pissed, I know that my wife is a very capable person (with a lot of life insurance) plus I have great stories to share with friends/family.... Any money she pisses away like that a matching amount goes into my WSOP poker tournament fund....

Well it looks like you all have it figured out 😂.  We are a bit more uptight I suppose 😆.  Love it!

1 minute ago, Mommawo said:

Well it looks like you all have it figured out 😂.  We are a bit more uptight I suppose 😆.  Love it!

My wife is a 'free spirit' who lives the moment..... I guess that's how to describe her.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve551 said:

My wife is a 'free spirit' who lives the moment..... I guess that's how to describe her.

It’s really awesome you love that in her.   It’s good to see you love her for who she is 🙂.  Hubby and I are very structured lol we have a schedule and a calendar.   I feel like retire we can be more free     Maybe.......

34 minutes ago, MRSG29 said:

Also, Make sure you let your banks know that you are traveling and where. My first cruise, my cards got locked and I had no way to contact the banks to unlock them. smh

That's good advice.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, Mommawo said:

I’m not brave enough to cruise alone ! Gosh I don’t know that I could even go out to a restaurant alone 😂 maybe I should see a therapist lol

I have now done 2 cruises solo. You'd be amazed at the people you meet that might turn into life long friendships. 

In fact, my next cruise is already booked, and it's coordinated with new friends I met on my last cruise!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, crbnlvr said:

Don’t book a Disney Cruise as your first cruise ever. My face was an unsightly shade of green in every photo taken on Board.  #ExpensiveLessons

I would think after Disney it’s all down hill    I would assume it’s probably a notch above?

On 2/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, Mommawo said:

we are both very punctual people. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, Mommawo said:

Hubby and I are very structured lol we have a schedule and a calendar.   

This is totally me!! Not that I am inflexible or lack spontaneity, but being late makes me very anxious. 

15 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

This is totally me!! Not that I am inflexible or lack spontaneity, but being late makes me very anxious. 

Yup same here. We can go with the flow ish but being late just isn’t an option. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 5:07 PM, MRSG29 said:

Also, Make sure you let your banks know that you are traveling and where. My first cruise, my cards got locked and I had no way to contact the banks to unlock them. smh

This happened to my husband when traveling in China for business,  The credit card would not let me reopen it because my name was not on the account.  He almost missed the train back to the airport if not for a generous friend loaning him some cash.  

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, ARcruisin2 said:

When people say it's different in the Caribbean and  you will burn, they mean it! My mom, who was always tan in the summers, burned for the first time in her life on her first cruise...at the age of 65.

Definitely take sunscreen. I take 2 different SPFs -a higher one for the first couple of days, then step down to a lower SPF.

I will add to this to remember to re-apply! I found out the hard way at the first port of a cruise. I spent the rest of the cruise in pain and somewhat miserable (I was on vacation so that helped). When I returned home to northern PA I blistered like I've never seen before. My back was solid blisters from neck to waist...ouch hurts just remembering it.