What is the one valuable lesson you learned on your first cruise 🚢

Mommawo

On 2/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, browneyedangel74 said:

This is actually something I want to do! I have cruised several times with the, at the time, teen kids and the hubby but, I would LOVE to do a cruise allllllllll by myself!

I have cruised once by myself and surprisingly lived it.  I vowed to do it once a year but haven't been able to and usually end up with my family or friends.  You must try it.  I got to do everything I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  Also unlike on land vacations you are never really alone.  It was great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

I have cruised once by myself and surprisingly lived it.  I vowed to do it once a year but haven't been able to and usually end up with my family or friends.  You must try it.  I got to do everything I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  Also unlike on land vacations you are never really alone.  It was great.

I have thought about it and I definitely want to try it. The only thing holding me back is the cost. Seems a little much for just 1 person.

22 hours ago, Mommawo said:

Thanks so much for the warning!!!!! I will remember this.  I always take the stairs as well so ima eat some of the god stuff but be careful as well.  I don’t have cheers package so will not be drinking as much. I would absolutely be at the coffee shop constantly with that package plus the alcohol lol yeah I would be sick if I bought the cheers trying to get moneys worth especially since I’m now a light weight.  Hubby and I are i our 40’s and I swear we are such early  to bed early yo rise people we will struggle staying up later 😂. We are gonna try but I bet we are still in bed by 10 and that is late for us lol we have turned into old people.  We have to get up early for work so it’s just our schedule 

Yes it's hard when you are used to going to bed early to get up early-especially when the funniest comedy shows are the late ones!  I didn't try to get my money's worth with the package just decided we would drink what we wanted without having to worry about it so we could see if the package was worth it(our first cruise).  I decided that we prob wouldn't get the package again cause I would try not to indulge as much next time.  Did we hit the cost?  Prob pretty close.  I counted how many times they swiped our card(your final bill won't show amounts if you have the package, just the location that charged the card)and it was 92 for both of us for 7 day cruise.  This included coffee, pop, and perrier.  I def didn't need to get perrier-just really enjoyed it-and I would bring my own creamers, etc. to make the regular coffee more palatable.  I also didn't need to tip for every drink but I did so we spent more that way than necessary.  I would next time also order inexpensive beer buckets, etc. rather than top-notch alcohol so that would lower our overall cost to drink.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

the

19 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Yes it's hard when you are used to going to bed early to get up early-especially when the funniest comedy shows are the late ones!  I didn't try to get my money's worth with the package just decided we would drink what we wanted without having to worry about it so we could see if the package was worth it(our first cruise).  I decided that we prob wouldn't get the package again cause I would try not to indulge as much next time.  Did we hit the cost?  Prob pretty close.  I counted how many times they swiped our card(your final bill won't show amounts if you have the package, just the location that charged the card)and it was 92 for both of us for 7 day cruise.  This included coffee, pop, and perrier.  I def didn't need to get perrier-just really enjoyed it-and I would bring my own creamers, etc. to make the regular coffee more palatable.  I also didn't need to tip for every drink but I did so we spent more that way than necessary.  I would next time also order inexpensive beer buckets, etc. rather than top-notch alcohol so that would lower our overall cost to drink.  

Yes I really want to try to make it late enough for the later comedy shows !!! Ugh getting old is hard. Lol.  Out adult kids give us a hard time about it.  However they have jobs where they get the whole sleep thing also now. Lol we considered the drink package but last time I had free unlimited drinks at a concert I puked my guts out sooooo there is that lol

Edited by Mommawo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, emoorehead said:

I have thought about it and I definitely want to try it. The only thing holding me back is the cost. Seems a little much for just 1 person.

I’m not brave enough to cruise alone ! Gosh I don’t know that I could even go out to a restaurant alone 😂 maybe I should see a therapist lol

20 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

I’m not brave enough to cruise alone ! Gosh I don’t know that I could even go out to a restaurant alone 😂 maybe I should see a therapist lol

I do a lot of things alone. Movies, restaurants, shopping, etc. Not so much by choice, just my schedule and tastes are a little different than those in my circle. Plus my son spends half his time with his dad, so I am used to flying solo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

last time I had free unlimited drinks at a concert I puked my guts out sooooo there is that lol

-you didnt mention the band so it could have been the music vs the booze?

I would almost rather go to a movie alone. Watch what you want in peace. 

I think I would enjoy a land vacation alone -- like taking a month to explore Costa Rica at my pace.

3 minutes ago, robertlanajean said:

-you didnt mention the band so it could have been the music vs the booze?

I would almost rather go to a movie alone. Watch what you want in peace. 

I think I would enjoy a land vacation alone -- like taking a month to explore Costa Rica at my pace.

Journey and  def Leppard  Lol from what I remember 

• Like 1

Although someone above mentioned not doing this, one thing we learned is to bring a wide array of over-the-counter meds. If you need something, the ship may not have it. I usually pack everything in a "free" Clinique bag (I take certain things out of boxes and put them in small Ziploc bags to save space). 

Ziploc bags (a variety of sizes) are another thing that can come in handy. 

3 hours ago, Mommawo said:

I'm right there with you...plus i like having someone to share the moments and memories with from the cruise.

Eating out... i have learned to just do it, with so much work travel the last few years.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 8:55 AM, Mommawo said:

Lol um yeah I can see that is a big piece of advice there. I have a feeling there is a huge story here 😂.  I will be going w my hubby. On our honeymoon/28 year anniversary and my birthday celebration cruise 😂.   First trip we have ever been able to take just the two of us in all theses years.  

Congrats on your anniversary and have an awesome birthday!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Mommawo said:

I will be hitting the treadmill several times also. Lol 

OH - That reminds me... one of my favorite things to do is jog on the outside track with the ocean as my view and breathing the fresh sea air!  Skip the treadmill...you can run on one of those at home 😏

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

OH - That reminds me... one of my favorite things to do is jog on the outside track with the ocean as my view and breathing the fresh sea air!  Skip the treadmill...you can run on one of those at home 😏

Would rather run outside any day as the treadmill anyway.  So there is a place I can run????!!!!!!! It’s ok and people won’t get all huffy? Lol

35 minutes ago, mickiemac said:

We learned to slow down. First cruise we thought we had to do/see everything available. Since the we  may or may not book excursions. A lazy day on an almost empty ship is great!!

I booked 2 excursions out of 4 stops.  2 of the stops are bucket list for me.  The others not as much.  Gonna play those by ear so that makes me feel better about that decision now.  Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

Would rather run outside any day as the treadmill anyway.  So there is a place I can run????!!!!!!! It’s ok and people won’t get all huffy? Lol

Our ship(and as far as I know all the others)had a track on the top that folks used for everything from running to walking.  Just have to go around those that aren't as fast as you.  I did find, however, that as much as I enjoyed that sea air, I had to use my inhaler for my asthma a couple of times and I haven't had to drag that out in years.  Glad I packed it. If you suffer from the same, you may need it.  As I said before, just avoid that track when docking.  The exhaust fumes will knock you over!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Our ship(and as far as I know all the others)had a track on the top that folks used for everything from running to walking.  Just have to go around those that aren't as fast as you.  I did find, however, that as much as I enjoyed that sea air, I had to use my inhaler for my asthma a couple of times and I haven't had to drag that out in years.  Glad I packed it. If you suffer from the same, you may need it.  As I said before, just avoid that track when docking.  The exhaust fumes will knock you over!

Thanks for the advice. Will take hubbys enhaler as well. He rarely needs it but I would have not even thought about packing if you had not posted. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

YES!!  it will be on the Sports Deck.

Obviously there are folks faster and slower, you stay to the right or pass as needed. (new to me, as I usually jog outside on the road)

Note that on embarkation day it is full of people wandering around in all directions, strollers, people just finding their way around that first day.  (I also tried to use a treadmill one time on embarkation day and the gym/spa staff ran me off 😡 )

But when you are at sea...running on the open deck - that is AWESOME!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mommawo said:

I thought the same thing.  I never go to the movies or to dinner by myself.  The only thing I generally do alone is shop.  To me shopping does not require a group effort.  At any event, I saw a great price on a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach a couple of years ago.  I am not lying when I say it was $80 pp. (before port charges and taxes) even if you were purchasing the single rate.  I did it all.  I even purchased an excursion in Ensenada which was great (included a trip to winery with free tasting).  Didn't feel lonely because it was at least 40 of us on the bus tour.  I purchased the Lobster/Steak dinner one evening, did all the shows I wanted to without having to check with DH or DS.  Slept late, stayed up late.  I chose the Anytime dining and got a table for 1, but I met people each evening in the adjoining tables and had lovely conversations.  Their were many solo travelers.  I fit right in and never felt alone or scared.  It was the cheapest vacation I have ever had and I had so much fun.  If you travel in the off seasons you will find great deals as low as $129 PP for 4 days/3 nights and if you have to pay the upcharge, its not so bad.  I just found a 5 day cruise for $278 and Carnival is requiring the additional $278 for single occupancy, but you only need to pay 1 port charge.  Not bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kermarkim said:

I thought the same thing.  I never go to the movies or to dinner by myself.  The only thing I generally do alone is shop.  To me shopping does not require a group effort.  At any event, I saw a great price on a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach a couple of years ago.  I am not lying when I say it was $80 pp. (before port charges and taxes) even if you were purchasing the single rate.  I did it all.  I even purchased an excursion in Ensenada which was great (included a trip to winery with free tasting).  Didn't feel lonely because it was at least 40 of us on the bus tour.  I purchased the Lobster/Steak dinner one evening, did all the shows I wanted to without having to check with DH or DS.  Slept late, stayed up late.  I chose the Anytime dining and got a table for 1, but I met people each evening in the adjoining tables and had lovely conversations.  Their were many solo travelers.  I fit right in and never felt alone or scared.  It was the cheapest vacation I have ever had and I had so much fun.  If you travel in the off seasons you will find great deals as low as $129 PP for 4 days/3 nights and if you have to pay the upcharge, its not so bad.  I just found a 5 day cruise for $278 and Carnival is requiring the additional $278 for single occupancy, but you only need to pay 1 port charge.  Not bad.

Wow that is awesome. So when is off season?  Yeah shopping alone is ok but I rarely even do that lol.  I have adult daughters that are around a lot and then the 14 year old daughter that is always up for shopping then dh who is always wanting to go alone everywhere we go.  He is a great chauffeur and carrier of bags. Lol wow that is a great price on a cruise you got !!