Intro and question about cruise to Belize in Feb - NCL Jade or Carnival Miracle

douglanglois

Hi all, since this is my first post, I should introduce myself. I'm Doug, 40 years old, wife and two teenage kids (coming up on 13 and 18). I'm an Englishman, but currently live near Tampa, FL. I work in corporate for a large IT company. Our family took our first cruise last year on the Independence of the Seas - 14 days around the Mediterranean, as part of a longer 2 month trip of a lifetime around Europe. We have another cruise booked this coming summer - 14 days around the Caribbean on the MSC Seaside (I know, I know, I'm a little worried by the reviews coming out, but I remain optimistic.)

Anyway, on to the question. For our anniversary on Feb 10, I want to surprise my wife with a short cruise with an itinerary that includes Belize, since it's on her bucket list. There are only two that I've found fit the bill, and I can't decide. Both ships are older and smaller, and the reviews seem all over the place:

7 days on Carnival Miracle, leaving from Tampa
5 days on NCL Jade, leaving from Miami

The Miracle has a distinct home port advantage, vs. a four hour drive to Miami. But there's something to be said for the slightly shorter duration on the Jade, since this is the first time the kids will be fending for themselves for more than a day (though friends and family are nearby).

What's important to us: Good food, pleasant service, relaxation, comfort. We like theater, movies, and light music. Could probably be roped into a trivia quiz or two.
What's not important to us: Karaoke, partying, water slides, VR trampolines, ziplines, belly flop contests, etc...
What we absolutely don't want: Rowdy party ship, excessive formality (a formal night is fine, but ballgown and black tie every evening is too much).

Honestly, when we are traveling alone we probably best fit the 55+ cruising demographic.

Thoughts?

Just now, gymbomb said:

Does the NCL Jade cruise stop at Belize City or at Harvest Caye in Belize? If Belize is your reason for going, do NOT pick the Jade cruise if it goes to Harvest Caye. That's a private island, not really Belize.

Wow, this was easier than I expected. I guess the decision is Carnival!

Thanks Gymbomb, much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Just to encourage that decision, with the current propulsion problems on Jade, I would certainly pick Carnival!  EM

Yikes! Nothing would put a dampener on a vacation than having it cut short by engine failure. 

Though I guess it could be played in our favor...

"Sorry kids, your mom and I are stranded on a Caribbean island. It's hell. Could be days or even weeks before we can get home. Months even. But don't worry about us, we're keeping our spirits up. Yes, thanks Federico, just put the rum down here, next to the lounge chairs. And adjust the umbrella a little, there's a good chap.  What? Oh, sorry sweetheart, that was just the airline attendant, we're trying to book a flight home, gotta run lovetoyourbrotherbyeeee!"

Edited by douglanglois

Follow up question - 

I'm booking now, and I have the choice of an Ocean Suite or a Grand Suite for an extra $332 ea.

The Ocean Suite comes with an option for "Free upgrades" for an extra $200 per person. Putting aside for a minute that $200 each isn't free, what exactly does that mean? If I book this rate am I likely to be upgraded to a Vista or Grand Suite? Or could I find myself simply having paid an additional $200 for the same room? Or could it just be amenities like drink packages that I get. It's just undefined and confusing.

Not sure the grand suite is worth an extra $664, but I could be tempted at the $400 'free upgrade' rate.

55 minutes ago, douglanglois said:

Wow, this was easier than I expected. I guess the decision is Carnival!

Thanks Gymbomb, much appreciated.

Yeah, normally I'd recommend NCL over Carnival but in this particular situation the Carnival itinerary definitely wins out. Hope you have a wonderful trip 🙂

46 minutes ago, douglanglois said:

Follow up question - 

I'm booking now, and I have the choice of an Ocean Suite or a Grand Suite for an extra $332 ea.

The Ocean Suite comes with an option for "Free upgrades" for an extra $200 per person. Putting aside for a minute that $200 each isn't free, what exactly does that mean? If I book this rate am I likely to be upgraded to a Vista or Grand Suite? Or could I find myself simply having paid an additional $200 for the same room? Or could it just be amenities like drink packages that I get. It's just undefined and confusing.

Not sure the grand suite is worth an extra $664, but I could be tempted at the $400 'free upgrade' rate.

We've sailed in all three categories of suites on this class of ship (Ocean and Vista Suites were on Miracle). IMO, the $200 isn't worth the gamble of being upgraded - to me, the main difference between Ocean and Grand is a slightly larger balcony. Nice, but not worth $200 per person. The Vista Suites are the aft corner balcony cabins - they have large wrap-around balconies and, except for the deck 5 suites, have separate bedrooms and sitting areas. They book quickly and I would highly doubt an upgrade to one.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

We've sailed in all three categories of suites on this class of ship (Ocean and Vista Suites were on Miracle). IMO, the $200 isn't worth the gamble of being upgraded - to me, the main difference between Ocean and Grand is a slightly larger balcony. Nice, but not worth $200 per person. The Vista Suites are the aft corner balcony cabins - they have large wrap-around balconies and, except for the deck 5 suites, have separate bedrooms and sitting areas. They book quickly and I would highly doubt an upgrade to one.

Good information, thanks. I've gone ahead and booked an Ocean Suite at starboard, just at the corner with the aft of the ship. So hopefully a low traffic area.

5 hours ago, douglanglois said:

Good information, thanks. I've gone ahead and booked an Ocean Suite at starboard, just at the corner with the aft of the ship. So hopefully a low traffic area.

We had one of those cabins on Carniival Legend in 2013 and thought it was a very good location.

• Thanks 1