New to Celebrity....thoughts on Summit

zdad59

Hi all.     We are typically Royal Caribbean cruisers.   We're a group of 8-10 that sail together every February.   Next trip is Feb 2019 on RCL Allure of the Seas.

Looking far out in advance to our 2020 group sailing, I went over to the Celebrity site today.   Looked at a sailing on Celebrity Summit in Feb 2020.    Out of San Juan to the ABCs.     The quote on line for Aqua Class balcony, 4 perks ($150pp OBC, unlimited internet for 2, pre pain tips for 2, Premium drink pkg for 2), access to Bu Specialty restaurant, unlimited access to Thermal Spa...………$3450 TOTAL !!!     I was so shcked, in a good way, that I had an on line chat with a Celebrity agent to confirm the price is right.     Also the $500 deposit it FULLY REFUNDABLE until Nov 19, 2019.

1,   Thoughts on Celebrity Summit.   Looks nice but older, and a little smaller.

2,  Thoughts on Aqua Class, particularly Deck 9

3,   Thoughts on Celebrity in general.  ( I know is a sister company to RCL, but as I said we have never sailed on Celebrity)

Thanks to all in advance.   Your opinions are why we love CC

Edited by zdad59

That's a great price for 4 perks.  If you booked and transferred to a travel agent, you could get an additional  $200-300 OBC from them.

We've sailed Summit several times, and once in Aqua Class.  You may see a bit of rust here & there, but inside, it's well kept.  It's a great ship.   We love the M-Class ships and the warm water Solarium.

Since you are looking at going on the Summit in 2020 be advised that it is getting a complete makeover early in 2019, all rooms are being redone and lots of changes made to public areas.  

We have done  AQ a number of times and Celebrity does not describe Blu real well.  Blu is your assigned dining room, you do not have a seat assigned to you in the MDR.  Also, only AQ patrons may eat in Blu although suites can eat there on a space availability basis.  No other cabin categories can eat in Blu even for a price and this is one rule Celebrity strictly enforces.   Blu is also open for Breakfast but not for lunch, it is anytime dining all the time.  Basically what I'm saying is if you want everyone to eat together they all must have AQ cabins or suites.  Also, in AQ you cannot have more than two people in your cabin. 

Food in Blu is excellent, totally different than the MDR, most on this board will tell you it is excellent  however some will also say they don't like it. 

Summit is not going to have rock climbing walls or water slides, we will be on it in June and anxious to see the major changes planned. 

Edited by dkjretired

49 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

Hi all.     We are typically Royal Caribbean cruisers.   We're a group of 8-10 that sail together every February.   Next trip is Feb 2019 on RCL Allure of the Seas.

Looking far out in advance to our 2020 group sailing, I went over to the Celebrity site today.   Looked at a sailing on Celebrity Summit in Feb 2020.    Out of San Juan to the ABCs.     The quote on line for Aqua Class balcony, 4 perks ($150pp OBC, unlimited internet for 2, pre pain tips for 2, Premium drink pkg for 2), access to Bu Specialty restaurant, unlimited access to Thermal Spa...………$3450 TOTAL !!!     I was so shcked, in a good way, that I had an on line chat with a Celebrity agent to confirm the price is right.     Also the $500 deposit it FULLY REFUNDABLE until Nov 19, 2019.

1,   Thoughts on Celebrity Summit.   Looks nice but older, and a little smaller.

2,  Thoughts on Aqua Class, particularly Deck 9

3,   Thoughts on Celebrity in general.  ( I know is a sister company to RCL, but as I said we have never sailed on Celebrity)

Thanks to all in advance.   Your opinions are why we love CC

If you haven't already, call the Captain's Club desk and provide them with your C&A numbers. 

Well....the core group of 6 pulled the trigger and booked Aqua lass cabins  9083-9086-9088.    We all actually like the idea of the overhang.    A little worried about the noise from the pool deck but the only time that will really matter is at night, and it shouldn't be an issue now.

We're typically simple ocean view Balcony folk.   We are very much looking forward to:

• The Summit refurb in March 2019
  • Dining in the Blu Restaurant
  • The Thermal Spa
  • No line at check in
  • The little cabin upgrades like towels and such
  • The top shelf liquor in the Premium Pkg
  • Having all $300 of the OBC available for excursions and other stuff.   No need to cover daily tips.

Looking forward to learning all about Celebrity and Summit here in the coming months.

8 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Well....the core group of 6 pulled the trigger and booked Aqua lass cabins  9083-9086-9088.    We all actually like the idea of the overhang.    A little worried about the noise from the pool deck but the only time that will really matter is at night, and it shouldn't be an issue now.

We're typically simple ocean view Balcony folk.   We are very much looking forward to:

• The Summit refurb in March 2019
  • Dining in the Blu Restaurant
  • The Thermal Spa
  • No line at check in
  • The little cabin upgrades like towels and such
  • The top shelf liquor in the Premium Pkg
  • Having all $300 of the OBC available for excursions and other stuff.   No need to cover daily tips.

Looking forward to learning all about Celebrity and Summit here in the coming months.

If you transfer your booking to a travel agent, you could even get an extra $300 OBC.  Treat yourself to a SPA day.

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

If you haven't already, call the Captain's Club desk and provide them with your C&A numbers. 

That's todays chore.   We are mere Platinum on RCL.   Any idea what that swaps us to in Captain's Club?    I imagine Aqua Class will cover most of the perks already.

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

If you transfer your booking to a travel agent, you could even get an extra $300 OBC.  Treat yourself to a SPA day.

Yepper.....gonna do that Monday when our regular agent is back in.    We always get an extra something from him.

Not knowing what you look for in a cruise it's hard to say if Celebrity is for you or not.  Be aware that it's a more laid back environment than RC with less "active" entertainment - no rock walls, flow riders, zip lines, water parks, etc.

20 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Not knowing what you look for in a cruise it's hard to say if Celebrity is for you or not.  Be aware that it's a more laid back environment than RC with less "active" entertainment - no rock walls, flow riders, zip lines, water parks, etc.

We're all pretty laid back.   Solarium and a good book, with a few trips to the bar on sea days.    A nice meal and a couple drinks in the evening.   Whatever show they have.   Then the men go "Solve the Worlds Problems" with a cognac and cigar to end the evening.  Here is an active day in Labadee, Haiti last year....

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting

• Haha 1

Great pic!  You will fit right in on Celebrity!  We mostly cruised Royal Caribbean and wanted to try Celebrity, as I had heard such good things about it.  LOVE Celebrity!  I feel like it's a step up from RCI in the service and the little things that do matter.  We've been on Reflection (beautiful and larger ship) and Constellation (sister to Summit, didn't think as pretty as Reflection but smaller & easier to navigate which we enjoyed).  Plenty of quieter places on both ships to relax and read, or have a drink, or visit with people.  Entertainment and other activities if you want.  I think you will enjoy your Celebrity cruise!

• 1 month later...

We'll be taking our first cruise on Celebrity in February 2020 as well, but a different itinerary. I love the Radiance Class ships on Royal, so Summit is the size we prefer. I can't wait to try out a new line! I'm platinum on Royal as well, so qualified for Select on Celebrity. Enjoy!

The biggest drawback to the Summit will be the addition of new Aqua Class cabins that could crowd Blu.

I still think one of the great bargains at sea is booking an M Class ship (like the Summit) with Aqua and Classic drinks package. Dinner in Blu can be relaxing and you don't even have to ask them for more wine.  It's free flowing with the drinks package.  They will come to you and ask you want more.    We have the Summit booked from Boston to San Juan to ABC to Key West to FLL in 10/2020.  We wanted to experience cruising out of our own city and we're really happy that Boston is getting the Summit in the Summer/Fall of 2020. Since our itinerary is 12 days, we took gratuities over the $300 OBC since gratuities for 12-days in Aqua is $360.  

12 nights, $2575 per person, Aqua Class, free gratuities, free classic drink package.  Cannot be beat.

Edited by hubofhockey

We sailed on Summit in Nov 2015 when Captain Kate was there (she is great), and since then its been updated.  We are Diamond on Royal so we transfer over to elite, its a bit slower and more relaxing cruise wise than Royal.  We enjoyed it mainly due to fact we enjoy most sailings out of San Juan because of the number of islands we visit.  I read that is going in for March 2019 updates, any actual notifications on what it will be.

One down side with Celebrity we found is that the food is a bit more gourmet than Royal, good but you might have to order 3 meals for 2 people to share.

We booked last night for 2 with Veranda, internet, drink package, free gratuities for both of us and $75 on board credit for less than $2500.

Hell of a deal and we hit 3 islands we have never been too.

Edited by josh.vincent.180