First time using Carnival / Cozumel

mickeychicky

Been to Cozumel multiple times but never on Carnival.  I know Carnival's pier is the furthest south.  We are scheduled to arrive at 10am and have to meet our Bar Hop party between 10:15 - 10:30 all the way downtown at Punta Langosta at the Senor Frogs.  We've always just walked across the street since that is where NCL docks.  I am more concerned getting a cab QUICKLY and getting out of port to meet on time.  The taxi fare that is posted is $8 (1-4 people), how concerned should I be that they will try to collect more than this?  And how close are the cabs when we get our of port?  We can't afford for any mishaps with a tight meeting time for our hop.  Does Carnival ever get in earlier than scheduled?  Even getting off 15 minutes earlier will help.  Thanks!

There are tons of taxis and you'll be fine. Just a few minute drive. We always do the Bar Hop sailing either Royal or Carnival and have never had an issue. Fun times. 

And remember, if you are running late you can always email Tom and he'll respond very quickly. I doubt you will be though. 

Edited by dwayneb236

3rd hop for me. 1st my sister.  Unfortunately I have no cell phone service out of the US so I can't contact anyone.  Tom did say Carnival usually gets in a 9:30 when they have a 10am scheduled arrival time but having to wait to get cleared might still put us at 10am getting off.  I know the hop host usually will wait around a few extra minutes from past experience.  I'm sure it'll work out.  

Did the bar hop in January, from the same pier. No problems. The taxis are quick and reputable. The drive is relatively short, and the tour people well versed on the ships' comings and goings. We ended up standing around waiting on others for a bit before our tour started. If you don't want to be those people, just be sure to get off the ship ASAP and make your way up to Senior Frogs without delay.

2 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I just love Cozumel.  My favorite port.  However now that I am east coast it just isn't on our itineraries 😞

I'm in FL and we have western Caribbean itineraries out of Tampa and Miami, and you can always do NCL or RCCL.  But I see by your signature, you are loyal to Carnival.  

Just now, mickeychicky said:

I'm in FL and we have western Caribbean itineraries out of Tampa and Miami, and you can always do NCL or RCCL.  But I see by your signature, you are loyal to Carnival.  

and am way farther up the east coast 🙂  My closest departure ports are NYC, Bayonne, and Baltimore.

21 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

Port Canaveral also has Carnival ships with Cozumel as a port. I suspect that Fort Lauderdale does too.

Edited by tandemcruzr

I usually use PC for our Eastern Caribbean cruises and quick Bahamas cruises and Tampa for my "in-between mega ship cruises".  Only doing Tampa/Carnival this time around because I just got off NCL and need a break from them and December 2019 is RCCL Harmony.  Needed a filler cruise to hold me over.  Maybe a Bahamas jaunt in May or June.

Don't bar hop but will answer question on taxis.  There are PLENTY! You pay by the taxi not pax. So 1-4 pax taxi is $8 if there are 1 or 4 pax it is $8.  BUT if the taxi holds 5, then the fare is $12 and if the taxi holds more than it is $16.  What happens is you just need a taxi for 4 people, you can squeeze in a 1-4 person taxi and it will be $8, BUT if the next taxi in line is either a 5pax or 6-8pax taxi and it just you 4, it will be either $12 or$16. 

What they did to us was the taxi was 6-8, we were a group of 4 and they wouldn't let the taxi leave until it was full. More annoying than anything was we were all going one place and the other folks who got squeezed into our taxi someplace else, so we rode around to drop them off first and of course, addresses, directions can be problematic.  So if you are in that situation, will not make your meet-up time.  You could always walk out a bit and grab one.

There is only the two of us and I've only allowed $8 that is posted as the rate for 1-4 people.  Unless we can find 2 more people to ride with.  But I definitely won't play that game where they want to charge me $12-$16 for 2 people just because a cab holds more than 4.   

3 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

I just verify when I'm getting in the taxi.. I'll say 8 dollars and wait for the driver to confirm. I know the rates are posted on a sign right there. 

Good idea to always verify the rate before you get in. That way no problems.

That reminds me of the time we were in Cozumel and went to the beach.  When we decided to go back to the ship, we went to where the cabs were and told them we wanted to go back to the ship.  There were six of us in our party.  The next cab in line was a Renault Dauphine which holds 3  passengers plus the driver.  He was adamant  that all six of us could fit in it.  We declined, then stepped back and had to wait for the next cab in the lineup that would hold all six of us.  That's the one downfall of their system.  Next in line instead of just being able to go pick out one and get in.

I did the bar hop last year and they loaded the taxi with 6 people who were also going downtown and he tried to charge each of us $8, I resisted and he came down but evidently some try to take advantage of the system.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:53 PM, Cruiserbarbie said:

Don't bar hop but will answer question on taxis.  There are PLENTY! You pay by the taxi not pax. So 1-4 pax taxi is $8 if there are 1 or 4 pax it is $8.  BUT if the taxi holds 5, then the fare is $12 and if the taxi holds more than it is $16.  What happens is you just need a taxi for 4 people, you can squeeze in a 1-4 person taxi and it will be $8, BUT if the next taxi in line is either a 5pax or 6-8pax taxi and it just you 4, it will be either $12 or$16. 

What they did to us was the taxi was 6-8, we were a group of 4 and they wouldn't let the taxi leave until it was full. More annoying than anything was we were all going one place and the other folks who got squeezed into our taxi someplace else, so we rode around to drop them off first and of course, addresses, directions can be problematic.  So if you are in that situation, will not make your meet-up time.  You could always walk out a bit and grab one.

If you are taking a taxi from dispatch and the next taxi is bigger than your group you should be charged the rate for your group ie 4 person rate for two of you, NOT rate for the vehicle size. You should confirm rate when you enter as suggested. If they dont agree, or try to wait for more,  get out and take next taxi in line.

IF you STOP a taxi on the street that is bigger, you pay rate for the vehicle, haggle or wait a minute for the next one.