Breakaway in Miami - earliest flight

psubill78

If you carry your own bags off and are first group, and don’t plan on using a shared ride shuttle you can make it. We did off Getaway a few years ago. We took a cab and were checked in and at the gate before 9. 

That being said you have to hope there are no issues with anyone else at customs or the ship getting in late. You have to be willing to pay flight change fees if something doesn’t go your way.  

18 hours ago, psubill78 said:

I am looking at some flights leaving MIA at 1030a.  Breakaway claims to disembark at 7a. Is this cutting it too close?  I'm TSA-Pre and priority for the airlines. 

Nope. Plan to carry your own luggage off the ship. We have booked 10 am flights with no problems. On our most recent Getaway cruise there were delays in Customs. Even with the delays, we were at MIA by 9:00. 

That's tight, but do-able. As others have said: Be in the first, walk off group with your luggage. Don't use a shared ride - get a taxi or whatever straight to the airport. Assuming the ship docks on time, assuming there's no delays with starting disembarkation, and assuming that the MIA check in counters and security aren't too bad (it's an awful airport for that, most days), you should make it.

That being said - why stress yourself like this at the end of a nice vacation? If you have a choice for a flight around noon, I'd go for that. Biggest issue is: If you miss your 10:30 flight you'll be on standby all day, hoping for some empty seats on flights that are always flying full these days.

I used to think that was doable. With the mess I saw in Miami this morning with 9 ships in port there is no way I would consider it. People were lined up deep waiting on transport when we arrived at the pier at 10:15. 

These always make me chuckle. Heck just saw a post on first page someone has a 9:00 a.m. and wondering what time disembarkation will be on Bliss in Feb.

And can they make "that" flight. Guessing that is really slim.

Can morning flights be made, sure they CAN. However there is a reason cruiselines suggest noon. Makes the probability MUCH better.

I guess it's more how people deal  with stress. Certainly don't want to spend last night of cruise worrying about getting to airport, getting up at 5:00 a.m. Just to get in line by 6:00 to be first off to enhance your chances.

I had no problem making a 10:00 flight - here is a link to my report so you can see what our experience was:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598910-trip-report-re-1000-am-flight-out-of-miami-700-docking/

Please bear in mind that I was on a smaller ship (Jade), so it will be even more important for you to get up early enough to be close to the head of the line.  But a 10:30 flight should be very do-able, barring any unusual circumstances.

Edited by jazzydiver