Boston to Montreal or Montreal to Boston

Andi Land

I apologize if this has been asked before. I did try the search feature with no luck. I’m planning a Canada/New England cruise with Holland America. Does it matter if we go Boston to Montreal or Montreal to Boston? Is one direction preferred to the other for any reason?  Thanks for the help. 

The itinerary is the same in either direction so it wouldn't make any difference.  Either way, you'll have a Canadian port and a US port at beginning or end.  We did a 2-week round-trip out of NYC (NJ actually) so air was easier.

Edited by BarbinMich

I sailed the Holland America Ms Maasdam from Boston to Montréal a few years ago and loved it!

My personal preference was to start in Boston and end in Montréal but that's because I live in Montréal... :)  First time I ended a cruise and rode the subway home lol!

But if you don't care which port you end in, I don't think it makes much of a difference which direction the cruise goes.  

A few minor advantages to finishing in Boston:

- Winds on the St-Lawrence are usually west to east... so less windy on deck while going down the seaway. 

- Finishing in a US city will make the flight home easier and likely cheaper if you're an american.

And finishing in Montréal:

- Sailing into sunsets, so a wicked sunset over Confederation Bridge as you leave PEI

- Cruise Port is right in the middle of everything you want to see in Montréal.

In the end I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

Pat

Thank you all for the replies. I have decided on Montreal to Boston. We live in Oregon so,the flight to Montreal will be the longest leg of the trip. We decided we’d like to get that part done before the cruise. The flight from Boston is non stop so, that should be easier after our cruise.