Kids using Royal app

amcb

Hello Everyone.

More questions on the Royal app.  My DD who is 10, was trying to sign up for the app but it said she had to be 13 to use it.  Is this correct?  Seems to limit the usefulness for the chat feature it keeps reminding me about if that is the case.

Thanks in advance,

amcb

16 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

That seems a little crazy.  Is there a way for her to tell it she is 13?  I don't encourage lying but I would want my 12 year old to have it if our ship had it.

Royal knows the dates of birth of everyone on board.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KatWoman92 said:

Not on a huge ship when you need to keep tabs on your kids.  I agree with the OP.

It is AMAZING that we traveled for all those years, with our kids from toddlers, through teens, and into adulthood and didn’t have the option of a cell phone (let alone an “app”) and we all survived! GASP

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is AMAZING that we traveled for all those years, with our kids from toddlers, through teens, and into adulthood and didn’t have the option of a cell phone (let alone an “app”) and we all survived! GASP

Congrats on that.  Folks survived quite well for many years without indoor plumbing, too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

So would not texting him.

Actually, no it wouldn't.  My 13 year old son has a lot more freedom to come & go as he pleases without checking in with us in person throughout the day.  It's a huge help & he loves being more independent.  

Geesh!  This conversation a great example of what makes me nuts about these forums.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KatWoman92 said:

This conversation a great example of what makes me nuts about these forums.  

You gotta have some real thick skin and treat CC (or any web forum for that matter) as much as entertainment as info gathering to enjoy it.

Edited by Biker19

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You gotta have some real thick skin and treat CC (or any web forum for that matter) as much as entertainment as info gathering to enjoy it.

Fair enough.  Not sure I understand how mocking folks is entertaining, but I will take your advice.  Wishing you all the best this holiday season.

• 3 months later...

Wow you got lit up by all the "we know everything crowd, how dare you...".  But, did you ever find a solution?  We have a couple of 9 year olds that we would like to be able to let them some freedom on the boat.  Since RC doesn't let us bring our helicopters, I wanted to use the app, so that on a friggin ginormous boat with 6000+people, we could easily let our kids know when it's time to come home, eat, take a bath, whatever.  

Since I didn't raise my kids in this mystical time when somehow on an 18 deck ship kids just showed up when you needed them, I'm curious how other solved this.  @biker19 please let us know how you managed to solve this problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 5Stripes said:

@biker19 please let us know how you managed to solve this problem.

Went old school and told the kids when/where to meet - though that was before apps and 9 year olds having cell phones. You either trust them or you don't.

32 minutes ago, 5Stripes said:

Wow you got lit up by all the "we know everything crowd, how dare you...".  But, did you ever find a solution?  We have a couple of 9 year olds that we would like to be able to let them some freedom on the boat.  Since RC doesn't let us bring our helicopters, I wanted to use the app, so that on a friggin ginormous boat with 6000+people, we could easily let our kids know when it's time to come home, eat, take a bath, whatever.  

Since I didn't raise my kids in this mystical time when somehow on an 18 deck ship kids just showed up when you needed them, I'm curious how other solved this.  @biker19 please let us know how you managed to solve this problem.

You can meet at specific times and places for lunch, dinner, etc.  

Are you planning to let them use Adventure Ocean?  You can arrange to meet after a session ends.  I believe you will have to sign permission to allow them sign out privileges at age 9.  

You can leave notes in your cabin, or on the cabin door.  

Keep in mind kids are busy - swimming, playing in the sports court, ice skating, not all things are conducive to carrying a phone. 

You said yourself that the ship has 6,000 people - not sure I would want to give 9-year-olds hours of freedom.  

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

We will be on Ovation next so we will just use the imessage glitch this trip. 

After that I figure we have two options until the youngest turns 13 Paying for Wifi (we will be getting an internet package either way, so it would be just adding a device) or signing the youngest in using my info on her phone and having her contact us on my husband's phone (or one of her siblings). 

We will also have meet up points/times. And she is only 9 so she wont be totally off on her own but I would like her to be able to contact me if needed. Especially if she needs to leave AO early or end an activity earlier than expected. She has pretty severe GERD and it sometimes comes on quite suddenly. She isn't likely to tell someone else that she isn't feeling well since she gets embarrassed with extra attention. If she signs herself out to go back to the room when she isn't I would rather know sooner rather than later so she doesn't have to sit alone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Every parent has their opinions, just ignore them. 

If you are worried about your child using the device for other things, you can easily restrict it to one app. Apple allows this using guided access mode (similar to how kiosks in mall, etc work). If you want to lock your kids phone to Royal app while onboard.

1. Make sure guided access mode is enabled. (Settings app -> General -> Accessibility -> Toggle Guided Access on under learning section at bottom.) Be sure to set special passcode here as well.

2. Open Royal app

3.  Triple click home button, and press start. If phone doesn’t have a home button, then triple click side button.

To stop guided access: Triple click home button again, enter special passcode, and click disable.

Cheers!

Thanks. She has a burner phone from when she flew alone to visit grand parents.  It is quite locked down.  I forgot about that tripple click on iOS.  I'll have to remind my iPhone friends of that.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:32 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

And I'm sure the boats back then didn't have the high passenger capacity that they do now, that alone the cases of sexually assault that occur, so no I wouldn't let any of my kids float around the ship without having the ability to contact us.  Having a meeting point means nothing if they are unable to get to it.  

Edited by Mr. Candyman
  • Like 1

I have read in other posts that you can bring the kid/phone to Guest Services and they can override the app account age restriction.

My daughter is 8 and we have The Key on our next cruise. I plan to be able to use regular iMessage as a result but if we can get in a smallish line at Guest Services I will ask anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

And I'm sure the boats back then didn't have the high passenger capacity that they do now, that alone the cases of sexually assault that occur, so no I wouldn't let any of my kids float around the ship without having the ability to contact us.  Having a meeting point means nothing if they are unable to get to it.  

Exactly.  Loved having the app for my 13 year old, & the rest of the family for that matter, on the Allure in December.  It was great!  He felt more comfortable, too. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, KatWoman92 said:

I hate to spoil the narrative, but being able to text my child on the ship would probably give him much more freedom on the trip. 

Yes, but the rest of us, don't want to babysit preteens for.  I think it's a great idea, to help limit the amount of freedom allowed.