Rome hotels

Michael50

If you are flying home from Rome, I can recommend the Hilton at the Rome airport for several reasons.  Cruise ship transfers drop you at the airport and the hotel is just steps away.  Conversely, the airport is just steps from the hotel when flying home.  AND, the hotel operates a free shuttle into Rome with several stops.  When you are ready to return to the hotel, just wait at one of the shuttle stops at the appointed time.  

We've stayed at hotels in the city on several occasions and found that the Rome airport Hilton is the most convenient all things considered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael50 said:

Hi , we are booked on the iconic western Mediterranean in November 2019. The cruise ends in rome, we are looking for a moderate priced hotel for 2 nights, looking for any recommendations 

Thanks

Hi Michael,

If you are wanting a hotel in Rome, I have never considered any of them moderately priced.  At least not my "moderately".  But a hotel that has served us well, near the Spanish Steps, nice roof top bar, pretty place, is Hotel Valadier.  They have a decent website.  

J.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

If you are flying home from Rome, I can recommend the Hilton at the Rome airport for several reasons.  Cruise ship transfers drop you at the airport and the hotel is just steps away.  Conversely, the airport is just steps from the hotel when flying home.  AND, the hotel operates a free shuttle into Rome with several stops.  When you are ready to return to the hotel, just wait at one of the shuttle stops at the appointed time.  

We've stayed at hotels in the city on several occasions and found that the Rome airport Hilton is the most convenient all things considered.

I would like to second SargassoPirate's recommendation of the Hilton at the Rome Airport for all the reasons stated. We stayed there last year ahead of our Christmas/New Years cruise (the second leg of our cruise was Iconic Mediterranean; we did a round trip from Rome) we were a group of six and stayed 3 nights, we organised Viking transfers to and from the airport (quite easy but not necessarily the most cost effective option). Whilst you can walk to and from the terminals at the airport, the hotel does in fact have a shuttle to the terminals, which is great if you are overpackers like we are.  The only downside that we experienced was that whilst the majority of the drive into Rome is quite scenic there was a lot of traffic, which we were told was due mainly to it being Christmas week. 

• Like 1

I can recommend a beautiful place to stay, near the Port of Rome, right on the Med, at Santa Marinella. This is a small Family run Hotel,Villa Delle Palme, it is one of the most special experiences we have had in all our travels. The staff are amazing, friendly and kind. Very good restaurant,on site, sea side.You can walk for miles, so interesting and lovely.  walking distance from the train, and just one stop from the Port at Citivecchia, or easy to reach by car. You can visit Rome easily, should you wish, but so peaceful. We stayed 6 days, and would return in a minute. Reasonably priced, on of life's hidden treasures..

In October this year we stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo.  It had  a very good location, in walking distance to many of the major sites, but was on a very quiet side street, which we didn't feel to be at all touristy. The rooms were small , but had adequate storage. We had a classic room which had a small bathroom, but my daughter & her partner had  a superior room ,which whilst still small had a much superior bathroom. The Hotel was very clean & had be updated & there was a lift. There was a generous breakfast included in the tariff & complimentary afternoon tea between 3.30 & 4.30pm.( Nil tea or coffee making facilities in the bedroom) There was a pleasant roof terrace & bar .There were plenty of places to eat  in the area & I would heartily recommend "Emmas" just around the corner. It was 60 Euro by Rome cabs from the airport & I think about 130 Euro for a transfer for 2  to  to the port. For a 3 star hotel it was very good value & we would stay there again. I suggest you have a look at their web site

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 9:02 PM, Michael50 said:

Hi , we are booked on the iconic western Mediterranean in November 2019. The cruise ends in rome, we are looking for a moderate priced hotel for 2 nights, looking for any recommendations 

Thanks

We spent 4 nights in Rome a few years ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the hotel but we would suggest you do stay somewhere close to many of the main attractions.  Rome is beautiful at night and it is nice to be able to maybe come back to your hotel in the afternoon, rest a bit, and then go out and see some of the sites and squares after dark.   Much easier than shuttling back and forth to a hotel on the outskirts and, in our opinion, worth the extra you may pay, especially since you are only there 2 nights.  

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, SargassoPirate said:

In May we spent our last night in Italy at the Rome Airport Hilton. We were on a long Perillo Italy land tour and flew from Sicily our last stop to Rome to fly home the next day. We booked well in advance and for the one night with a full breakfast was only $220 for a king room. The free shuttle was perfect  as we went to DT Rome and had dinner at a great Rome restaurant. The next morning after breakfast we walked from the hotel right into the International Terminal for our flight back home.

• 2 months later...

Can any of you who have stayed at the Hilton Airport tell me how early the shuttle runs into the city?  We are looking at booking a tour on Monday 5/13 that has a 7:30 start time from The Vatican Museum enterance.  Just wondering if this is doable?  The Hilton sounds great as we have a 7am flight on 5/14.

Thanks for help/opinions/options! 

14 hours ago, Love2CruiseMore said:

Can any of you who have stayed at the Hilton Airport tell me how early the shuttle runs into the city?  We are looking at booking a tour on Monday 5/13 that has a 7:30 start time from The Vatican Museum enterance.  Just wondering if this is doable?  The Hilton sounds great as we have a 7am flight on 5/14.

I remember that the first shuttle is at 8am, but you should talk to the hotel directly. Keeping mind with traffic that time of day I'd could be an hour drive to Rome,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Love2CruiseMore said:

We stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport Hotel on the last night of an Italy road trip after returning a car to FCO about a year and a half ago. 

At that time, I believe that the shuttle departed every 2 hours beginning at 8 AM,

with the last return from Rome at 11 PM. The shuttle drop off/pick up point was near the Vittorio Emanuele Monument  

The trip took about 45 minutes. 

If you want to take an early tour of the Vatican, I would recommend staying near Vatican City and arranging taxi or car service transportation to FCO for early the next morning (easily done by your hotel) We have been to Rome many times, but have never stayed in that area, so I’m sorry I have no specific hotel recommendations. 

I think a good location would be near the Tevere which would also be closer to many other Rome sights. 

Also, is your Vatican tour the Scavi tour?

It was fascinating. 

Best of luck, and have a great trip

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, Michael50 said:

Thanks

Michael 50

With 2 nights, I would definitely recommend staying in Rome Centro. 

As far as recommendations, how are you planning on getting from Civitavecchia to Rome? When you depart Rome how are you planning on getting to FCO?

If you are using the train, a hotel convenient to the train station may be a good choice. 

There are so many hotels in Rome that I think that you should decide what specific area you want to be in or near (Colosseum ,Trevi, Spanish Steps, Trastevere, Navona, Vatican, etc.) 

So, I would recommend deciding what you really want to see and do in your short time visiting, and getting a hotel in an area close to those pursuits. we 

November is the shoulder season for hotels, and there will be many very reasonable lodgings, for Rome.