Cruise Art experiences

havanadaydreaming

Anyone have a story about cruise art/auctions they'd like to share?  Or artists that they really like?

I watched those darn artist profiles every day on the cabin tv on my recent cruise.  I have no idea why I find them fascinating, but I can watch them repeatedly.  Earlier this year I "found" Chris DeRubeis, the guy who lights his artwork on fire and grinds the metal "canvas" with tools, etc.  We actually wound up buying a small piece of his (for much, much less than the ridiculous retail price). We were at a bit of a disadvantage not having wifi on that ship to determine fair market value for such an item.   My wife and I agreed since each piece was unique and hand signed that we would be happy, even if we overpaid a bit, at the price point that Park West accepted.   

this past cruise she was kinda taken by a few Patrick Guyton's pieces, but we didn't go home with anything.  

Quite a few other people were purchasing multiple pieces, another fascinating aspect of the "auctions" to me.  One individual bid $20k for an original (not a print) piece, I think by Peter Max. 

We have bought several pieces on cruises.  When we were newbies, we bought too much on one cruise.  My husband doesn't handle champagne well and went a little over board. 

We did end up with a Peter Max original at a really good price for our anniversary present.  I did look it up before we bought it and we just liked it so we got it.  And it was not 20K.  The most interesting part of getting the Peter Max turned out to be that about 6 months after the cruise we were invited to a local winery who had Peter Max, Linda Kniff (sp?) and the new artist Autumn there for the weekend.  If you had bought a Peter Max in the past, which we had, you were invited to the event, all expenses paid.  We got to meet each artist, hear their biographies, and view their latest work.  I also got my photo taken with Peter Max - again husband had too much champagne and didn't make it to the photo session.  So now, my photo with him is framed beside our original Peter Max.  Which is pretty cool to me.

We have some Guyton's which I love.  They are the metal etchings.  They are hanging above my home office desk.

Admittedly we have bought pieces we shouldn't have...thinking Thomas Kincaids, but they are pretty and work with our decor.

Now, we might go to an auction but lately it has been just for entertainment purposes - especially if the weather is bad outside.

If I really see something I like that is different and unique then I will inquire about it.  But, I never bid at the auction.  I will go back to the cabin, look it up, check out website etc...if I still want it then I will go to the gallery and talk with them.

After 17 cruises we have learned to take the art auctions for what they are: sales seminars.  We too have seen many, many people get caught up in the "action", we did in the beginning and now just enjoy the show.  But honestly, until we started cruising, my walls were bear.  Now they have pretty pictures that I really enjoy hanging on them, not worth much, but we enjoy them.

Happy cruising

1 hour ago, kskelley40 said:

We have bought several pieces on cruises.  When we were newbies, we bought too much on one cruise.  My husband doesn't handle champagne well and went a little over board. 

We did end up with a Peter Max original at a really good price for our anniversary present.  I did look it up before we bought it and we just liked it so we got it.  And it was not 20K.  The most interesting part of getting the Peter Max turned out to be that about 6 months after the cruise we were invited to a local winery who had Peter Max, Linda Kniff (sp?) and the new artist Autumn there for the weekend.  If you had bought a Peter Max in the past, which we had, you were invited to the event, all expenses paid.  We got to meet each artist, hear their biographies, and view their latest work.  I also got my photo taken with Peter Max - again husband had too much champagne and didn't make it to the photo session.  So now, my photo with him is framed beside our original Peter Max.  Which is pretty cool to me.

We have some Guyton's which I love.  They are the metal etchings.  They are hanging above my home office desk.

Admittedly we have bought pieces we shouldn't have...thinking Thomas Kincaids, but they are pretty and work with our decor.

Now, we might go to an auction but lately it has been just for entertainment purposes - especially if the weather is bad outside.

If I really see something I like that is different and unique then I will inquire about it.  But, I never bid at the auction.  I will go back to the cabin, look it up, check out website etc...if I still want it then I will go to the gallery and talk with them.

After 17 cruises we have learned to take the art auctions for what they are: sales seminars.  We too have seen many, many people get caught up in the "action", we did in the beginning and now just enjoy the show.  But honestly, until we started cruising, my walls were bear.  Now they have pretty pictures that I really enjoy hanging on them, not worth much, but we enjoy them.

Happy cruising

You went to Chateau Elan!  I got invited to a similar weekend with August, Duaiv and a brand new artist Matt Beyrer.  At this point, I've collected two Peter Max, a Ilyayev and a bronze sculpture from Nano Lopez.  I've got some others as well.  I think if you know what you're getting and you understand what you're bidding on (whether it's a print, one of a kind, artist signed or signature in plate, etc.), then enjoy and bid on artwork you love.  Don't bid jut to bid...  Buy what you love and will actually enjoy hanging in your home.

Don't win a raffle!!!!!

We did and they attempted to SELL later in the evening rather than providing the raffle prize!!!   When we got them "on track" they were unable to provide the prize, we had to pay about USD70 to have it shipped to NZ from Miami.

I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of their "raffle" and where to put their prize.  Then I complained to the cruise line and the art company head office.

In New Zealand you get the raffle prize immediately after the draw.

10 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

You went to Chateau Elan!  I got invited to a similar weekend with August, Duaiv and a brand new artist Matt Beyrer.  At this point, I've collected two Peter Max, a Ilyayev and a bronze sculpture from Nano Lopez.  I've got some others as well.  I think if you know what you're getting and you understand what you're bidding on (whether it's a print, one of a kind, artist signed or signature in plate, etc.), then enjoy and bid on artwork you love.  Don't bid jut to bid...  Buy what you love and will actually enjoy hanging in your home.

Yes, it was Chateau Elan!  A couple of years ago.  Beautiful place.  Even though we live about 20 miles from there, had never been there before.  It was an interesting weekend.  Went mainly to meet Peter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

Don't win a raffle!!!!!

We did and they attempted to SELL later in the evening rather than providing the raffle prize!!!   When we got them "on track" they were unable to provide the prize, we had to pay about USD70 to have it shipped to NZ from Miami.

I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of their "raffle" and where to put their prize.  Then I complained to the cruise line and the art company head office.

In New Zealand you get the raffle prize immediately after the draw.

I totally agree.  Unless the raffle prize is a bottle of champagne or other swag, don't accept the prize.  Shipping for a "free"  print is not worth it.  Granted we have won some pieces and did accept them but the shipping was included with our other bought pieces.  Just took the free one home, framed it (cheaply) and we still have it hanging in my office.

I think as long as you go into the auctions with the knowledge of what is going on they can be amusing.  I would say though, going to our first auctions, years ago, did open our eyes to art work.  Not necessarily what is offered on ships but in general.  We have recently switched from hanging art to collecting pottery.  

• Like 1

We like going because we find them fun and there is no obligation to buy anything.  Over the years we have collected some fun pieces from multiple different artists - some unique some not.  My favorite is still our first - the 4 seasons tree by Najar.  We are on the Sun right now and their first auction was really disorganized, so we left and probably won’t go to any on this ship.  If you have an hour or two with nothing else going on, it could be fun to attend.

Edited by Stealthdog
Typo

4 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

We like going because we find them fun and there is no obligation to buy anything.  Over the years we have collected some fun pieces from multiple different artists - some unique some not.  My favorite is still our first - the 4 seasons tree by Najar.  We are on the Sun right now and their first auction was really disorganized, so we left and probably won’t go to any on this ship.  If you have an hour or two with nothing else going on, it could be fun to attend.

My very first purchase was one of Najar’s four seasons. It hangs in my dining room still. 

On a Royal Caribbean cruise bought a piece for $60 + $35 shipping.  The Good news was we won 4 other free ones and did not have to pay any additional shipping, all 5 showed up at our house about a month later.  I have a friend who will frame them for us at cost of materials plus a dinner.  Park West tried to sell me their "professional" framing for over $200/each.  I did learn some things, saw a Salvador Dali/Walt Disney Movie and some nice works from Florida by a cousin of Dan Lebatard.  I don't drink champagne, but I do find their talks amusing and informative.  Cannot imagine buying anything from them in the future.

I like the talks too...as long as the speaker is engaging.  Have learned a lot on the ships about the art world.

It can be fascinating.  We always check out the first auction if we think about it and see if we are going to engage further or not.

I would enjoy them more if they weren't right in the middle of the day, usually 1pm - 4pm.  Maybe some night ones on longer cruises.

We are leaving for a 14-day one in January so will be interesting to see what they offer.

2 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I have looked at that same painting on our last 3 cruises.  Just don't have much wall space now so I am getting really picky.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kskelley40 said:

I like the talks too...as long as the speaker is engaging.  Have learned a lot on the ships about the art world.

It can be fascinating.  We always check out the first auction if we think about it and see if we are going to engage further or not.

I would enjoy them more if they weren't right in the middle of the day, usually 1pm - 4pm.  Maybe some night ones on longer cruises.

We are leaving for a 14-day one in January so will be interesting to see what they offer.

1-4 is almost always the time they do them and typically always on sea days.  It's something to fill time at sea for people...  Occasionally you'll see "art talks" in the evenings or earlier in the mornings sometimes but the actual auctions are almost exclusively 1-4ish on every cruise we've been on.

I'm curious about our upcoming cruise in January that is 10 days...  With only 2 sea days...  I wonder if there will only be two auctions or if they will break the mold and have auctions on port days as well.

24 minutes ago, kskelley40 said:

I have looked at that same painting on our last 3 cruises.  Just don't have much wall space now so I am getting really picky.

I love the Four Seasons by Najar.  I've got one of the first ones he did I think around 2011/12.  There have been several variations of that type painting/print now over the years.  I actually turn it upside down depending on the season so that whatever the current season is... Is on the top of the work.  LOL.

I enjoy the auctions.  Honestly....anything they sell there I can find for less money locally (Agam, for instance....I can buy direct from his studio at a fraction of their prices).

I also "won" the raffle once and now I don't even pay attention to the winning numbers.  "Raffles" is just marketing, to get people to stay.

However, my "never buying anything" changed on our "Guy Harvey" Oct cruise.  He was just a wonderful person, always out and about and talking to everyone.  I bought one of his paintings for my son's apt.  We were going to buy a larger painting, but when I saw the size in the frame it would have just been too large and overpowering, so we got a smaller, similar one.  His prices were very reasonable and a nice souvenir of that trip (He also sign a bag that I purchased in the gift shop).

If you like it and can afford it buy it. However in the Art world Park West is really a joke. Many of their prints are "Giclee", just a fancy word for a digital print. They could have made 5 prints or 50,000. Their are plenty of artist out there that do beautiful work at the fraction of the price you'll pay on the ship.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/park-west-gallery-southfield

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rtkenmore said:

I love the Four Seasons by Najar.  I've got one of the first ones he did I think around 2011/12.  There have been several variations of that type painting/print now over the years.  I actually turn it upside down depending on the season so that whatever the current season is... Is on the top of the work.  LOL.

You might like my fathers work....  https://www.laszlobagi.com

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WyomingGuys said:

The "art" is junk. Run! Try to take anything from Park West to a legitimate auction house and they will laugh you out the door.   

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-14/ever-bought-artwork-on-a-cruise-prepare-to-be-seasick

I have the same feelings about the art and the jewelry on board (I'm a jewelry person):

If you see something you like....and the price is "pocket change" to you....go for it.  It will make a nice souvenir, but it's not an investment and highly unlikely to be a good deal.