P&O trialling once a day room service.

grapau27

15 minutes ago, daiB said:

It is clear that the fountain only happened on a few occasions over the past 18 years and never on the cruises we were on. Which is why I don't consider it  as being something taken away from me as I never had it in the first place.

We have seen it a few times in the Atrium.

It looks spectacular but all the glasses were sticky because of the overflowing champagne.

53 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....we have been cruising since 2010 and have seen the champagne fountain in the atrium on a number of occasions but can't really say how long ago since we saw it but can't say I miss it.

Just watching a DVD of our sailway party on the pool deck on Ventura June 11th 2010.

Also at the beginning of this cruise everyone was buying champagne on deck listening to the brass band playing on the quayside at Southampton.

Happy days.

Edited by grapau27

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just watching a DVD of our sailway party on the pool deck on Ventura June 11th 2010.

Also at the beginning of this cruise everyone was buying champagne on deck listening to the brass band playing on the quayside at Southampton.

Happy days.

Hi....now that does sound more like it...I just found that " crowded " into the atrium just about getting a peek at the " champagne procedure" not very exciting....being on top deck....drinking the stuff and being serenaded with a brass band on the quayside ...much more my sort of thing :classic_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....now that does sound more like it...I just found that " crowded " into the atrium just about getting a peek at the " champagne procedure" not very exciting....being on top deck....drinking the stuff and being serenaded with a brass band on the quayside ...much more my sort of thing :classic_biggrin:

It makes me laugh that every time I mention the Champagne Fountain it causes 'an issue' and much debate. ha ha

I suppose we loved it as it was our first cruise, only 2nd formal night and the atrium (complete with streamers etc) was Oceana's. Now that is a special atrium to celebrate any occasion in when it is all so new and novel.

It was the only time we ever saw the band too, so just took it for granted Dai that it used to happen all of the time.

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

It makes me laugh that every time I mention the Champagne Fountain it causes 'an issue' and much debate. ha ha

I suppose we loved it as it was our first cruise, only 2nd formal night and the atrium (complete with streamers etc) was Oceana's. Now that is a special atrium to celebrate any occasion in when it is all so new and novel.

It was the only time we ever saw the band too, so just took it for granted Dai that it used to happen all of the time.

The fountain on formal night was always spectacular.

The band on Southampton quayside were always good and everyone had poppers and streamers which everyone threw overboard filling the dock when we sailed away.

They stopped it a few years ago unfortunately but understandable when you saw how much paper was left in the dock.

• Thanks 1

Not disputing that p&o isn’t a mid market cruise line...

But I do find it odd that the black tie nights are one of the things that are considered keeping up standards or upmarket as all the really upmarket cruise lines (and restaurants and hotels etc) have “country club” or “evening chic” dress codes. 

Same for the fixed dining times...really upmarket cruises are moving/already have club dining where you can dine any time don’t they? 

Dont get me wrong, I totally understand that some people love the black tie nights, but I’ve long thought it a bit strange that some of the mid markets lines insist on it when really posh places don’t. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

But I do find it odd that the black tie nights are one of the things that are considered keeping up standards or upmarket as all the really upmarket cruise lines (and restaurants and hotels etc) have “country club” or “evening chic” dress codes. 

Same for the fixed dining times...really upmarket cruises are moving/already have club dining where you can dine any time don’t they? 

Dont get me wrong, I totally understand that some people love the black tie nights, but I’ve long thought it a bit strange that some of the mid markets lines insist on it when really posh places don’t. 

Simple answer - it allows P&O to create a totally artificial air of grandeur and elegance at absolutely no cost to themselves.  That's why they do it, in an attempt to make the product look somehow posher than it actually is - and it works, up to a point.  That point is reached when all the finery has disappeared and people start looking at what they're actually getting, and more importantly, what's been cut out that they used to get.

So the charade only works partially.  As you say, the really upmarket places have dropped all the outdated penguin suits etc and moved with the times - if you walked into any Michelin-starred restaurant like that the clientele would laugh their socks off and wonder which century you'd arrived from.

P&O will drop it at some point, but probably not for 2 or 3 years, when the customers who demand it have ceased to cruise.  It's very much tied into age profiles, people wanting to cling on to the past, and people reading, mostly, one of two certain newspapers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

I think it is fantastic seeing everyone dressed up for formal night.

1 hour ago, docco said:

It's very much tied into age profiles, people wanting to cling on to the past, and people reading, mostly, one of two certain newspapers.

Ouch ---

Until we went on Oceana the only formal gear we had worn was a wedding dress for me and a suit for hubby. Went with the formal stuff for the cruise though and actually loved it as it made the evenings special.

We really don't fit the stereotype you are suggesting believe me - and from what I've seen on embarkation day neither do a lot of the other passengers who seem to enjoy the dressing up part of P&O

Had never sailed until 2009 (Ocean Village --- remember, the cruise line for those who wanted to be casual) and then went on Oceana as a one off. (So we thought).

Re the newspaper --- we read the Mail and the Mirror  ------ the truth is probably inbetween  !!!!

PS I don't see us stopping cruising in 2 / 3 yrs God willing. Not ready to quit yet

Edited by Presto2

1 minute ago, docco said:

No problems with the Mirror. The other one I had in mind was the Express!

Hi should have said that the truth was probably in between ;-)

Thinking about it, the truth is probably in neither

:-)