Transportation for Galveston port

familycruise41

Our family of 5 will be flying into Houston 2 nights before boarding the Vista in Galveston. We will be spending the day before in downtown Houston with friends and at NASA. What is the best bet (economically, but also practically) for getting from Houston to the ship and then back for our return flight? We would normally Uber but that seems to add up for 5 ppl, especially adding in trips within Houston prior to the cruise. My husband is telling me it's cheaper to rent a car for the duration, pay to park it at the port for the cruise, and have it to drive back than it is to deal with one-way rentals or some combo of Uber. Any thoughts?

SOME OPTIONS: 

Galveston Express 

Galveston Limo. 

Super Shuttle.

Action Limo. 

Galveston Cruise Transfers Co. 

Uber. 

Cabs. 

Lyft.

Cruise lines provide transfers between Airports and Terminals 

only on the same days of cruises lines having ships in port 

In town Galveston  service with Cabs, Uber, Lyft, hotel in-house transfers , and Galveston Trolleys 

Rent a car at airport for entire time 

Friends pick you up at airport and decisions from their home 

1 hour ago, familycruise41 said:

Thanks, I will go to the ports board. We are just meeting the friends for dinner -- doing most of the Houston touristy stuff on our own. They are a childless couple and I don't think can fit all 5 of us and our luggage in their vehicle, so no rides from them.

The Houston area is HUGE (I've lived here all my life). I think renting a car is a good idea. You can usually rent one at the airport and return it there as a reasonable option. Look at all the rental companies as different ones have different deals from time to time. It will cost around $75 to park it at the port for a week. Look at all the options there as the same applies to deals. 

2 hours ago, familycruise41 said:

Thanks, I will go to the ports board. We are just meeting the friends for dinner -- doing most of the Houston touristy stuff on our own. They are a childless couple and I don't think can fit all 5 of us and our luggage in their vehicle, so no rides from them.

Galveston versus Houston 

Houston has the Museum district . 

Royal Caribbean is posturing for the next 60 years in the expansive and untapped market place of the Cruising Industry.

Galveston is not about the past or present experiences. Royal Caribbean is looking forward to the future . Galveston is at the doorstep of the entire midwest corridor of US. Houston soon, if not now, is the 3rd largest city in the US.  Five of the fifteen  fastest growing cities in the US are in TEXAS. Natural Southern migration is a happening occurance. People want to be near the water.   

Galveston has 32 miles of beach on Gulf of Mexico, and has  two first class convention centers. Harborside projects have begun with beautification improvements and new ingress/egress and rerouting with terminals. A new multi-story parking garage is being built for terminals #1 & #2. Terminal # 3 is underway with new parking ground and elevated garages. The Highway system between Houston and Galveston is under massive expansion and partially completed. . Cruise passenger transfers between Houston and Galveston have greatly improved with better cruise line's transfers and with other private shuttle companies. Houston has two international airports with major hubs, and with short distances to Galveston Island.. The movement of ships issue during fog is somewhat resolved now from litigation between the Cruise Lines and the Pilots.  Galveston Island is already a major tourist destination with ample tourist infrastructure support. 

Galveston is known for its rich vibrant history as well as its strong commitment to building a better future. The Island hosts over 7 million visitors a year who are attracted to the same features,  that brought visitors over a 100 years ago – the Island’s natural beauty, nature tourism activities, Victorian Homes, cultural history,  many large festivals, first-class hotels and restaurants, arts & cultural activities, historical museums and fantastic recreational and outdoor attractions. NASA and Kemah ste half way to Galveston from Houston. 

There is MORE to do on Galveston Island right now presently than most cruise destinations,

Royal recognizes the future potential of partnering with Galveston in the Great State of Texas and beyond. Galveston's has strategic geographic location and directly on Gulf of Mexico, aggressive new management at City, Park Board, Wharves Board,   and recent hire Roger Rees from Port Canaveral leading the charge. Royal was instrumental in Roger being at the helm in Galveston . It's happening folks. Other cruise lines, and couple of more terminals, and more port destinations and possible future port of call for Galveston proper. Time is on our side . The Future ! Thinking is big and in process.    

Edited by ssb

• 1 month later...

What is the cost from the Airport to Galveston? I am trying to determine if I will pay more $ just getting to and from the Houston airports and the departure point vs a more expensive cruise that is cheaper to access the port from FL destination departure ports!

4 minutes ago, alise007 said:

What is the cost from the Airport to Galveston? I am trying to determine if I will pay more $ just getting to and from the Houston airports and the departure point vs a more expensive cruise that is cheaper to access the port from FL destination departure ports!

Hobby Airport HOU (mostly Southwest Airline) is 40 miles from Galveston. Bush Airport IAH (the big airport) is 70 miles from Galveston.

We're doing the Valor, so 5 nights instead of 7... but I found some good deals actually renting a car from Avis at IAH for 7 days and paying for parking.  By my estimates it was only about $50 more than transportation options, and we have a car for the day before and day after (due to a great deal on flights, we're flying in late two nights before, and flying out very early two days after).

Might be worth the effort to look into a rental and parking... of course the economics of it change with a 7 night cruise.