Regal Princess - Change of Ocean Medallion Status

Grego

3 hours ago, metairiegal said:

Thanks for that info!  I just checked and it says OM Preview.  We sail tomorrow! 

We were on the Caribbean Princess last month and it was in full OM mode.  I really don't see anything in it, except for opening the door.  I also don't like wearing the lanyard, but it still worked if it was in my purse or pocket.

Bon Voyage!

Medallion update from the Regal.  I am on the ship right now and can reconfirm, everyone gets a medallion.  It doesn't matter if you downloaded the Ocean Ready app before your cruise or not.  Each passenger has a medallion waiting for them in the cruise ship terminal when they check in.  You get a medallion that coincides with the color of your captain's circle membership.  The actual medallion has your name, the ship name, and the date of your sailing.

Some observations from using my medallion so far.  When boarding the ship for the first time, the security personal scan your medallion and if you have taken your security photo ahead of time they check and see if it is really you and then let you board.  If you did not take your security photo ahead of time, they do at the entrance to the ship, like before.

Another thing I noticed as I approach my cabin, I need to wait about 2 or 3 seconds in front of my cabin door before my cabin door unlocks.  This is with my medallion around my neck or in my pocket.  It appears that if you now lose your medallion, the fear of someone finding it and walking up and down the halls to find where your cabin is located is now much harder to do.  That person would theoretically have to wait in from of each cabin for a couple seconds before the correct door unlocks.

The locator part of the medallion came into play yesterday and here is how.  I am traveling with my wife and son and after we boarded we decided to meet a a certain place on the ship at 2pm.  Well I was in the "correct" location, but my family was not.  Come to find out they were at the "wrong" location and decided to use the locator feature on one of the kiosks around the ship to locate me.  This worked and they proceeded to make their way to the "correct" meeting location.

Ok, I can confirm that not all of the medallion features work yet.  If you downloaded the Ocean Now app, this is supposed to work on the ship and let you order food and beverages from anywhere on the ship as well as request someone to come to you and help you with a question you might have.  This is not working.  This is a big part of the medallion experience that when implemented should be a huge plus.  I will update if this becomes available later on my cruise but I am not counting on that happening.

That's all for now.  If anyone has any questions, feel free and I will do the best I can to answer.  If you would like to follow this cruise, there is a great live thread going on by another cruiser on board.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrBill64 said:

It appears that if you now lose your medallion, the fear of someone finding it and walking up and down the halls to find where your cabin is located is now much harder to do.  That person would theoretically have to wait in from of each cabin for a couple seconds before the correct door unlocks.

Not if you first go to the board & check to see the cabin's location. You can then go to that cabin & get instant access.

Don't lose your Medallion. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:39 PM, TracieABD said:

I am with the others on the thread... This just seems like one more potential headache. Of course, I have used it yet- but honestly, I am skeptical. 

Just like those who were skeptical when the key cards were introduced? :classic_biggrin: Time and technology moves on, either we get on board or be left behind grumbling about the good old days.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:06 AM, MrBill64 said:

Medallion update from the Regal.  I am on the ship right now and can reconfirm, everyone gets a medallion.  It doesn't matter if you downloaded the Ocean Ready app before your cruise or not.  Each passenger has a medallion waiting for them in the cruise ship terminal when they check in.  You get a medallion that coincides with the color of your captain's circle membership.  The actual medallion has your name, the ship name, and the date of your sailing.

Some observations from using my medallion so far.  When boarding the ship for the first time, the security personal scan your medallion and if you have taken your security photo ahead of time they check and see if it is really you and then let you board.  If you did not take your security photo ahead of time, they do at the entrance to the ship, like before.

Another thing I noticed as I approach my cabin, I need to wait about 2 or 3 seconds in front of my cabin door before my cabin door unlocks.  This is with my medallion around my neck or in my pocket.  It appears that if you now lose your medallion, the fear of someone finding it and walking up and down the halls to find where your cabin is located is now much harder to do.  That person would theoretically have to wait in from of each cabin for a couple seconds before the correct door unlocks.

The locator part of the medallion came into play yesterday and here is how.  I am traveling with my wife and son and after we boarded we decided to meet a a certain place on the ship at 2pm.  Well I was in the "correct" location, but my family was not.  Come to find out they were at the "wrong" location and decided to use the locator feature on one of the kiosks around the ship to locate me.  This worked and they proceeded to make their way to the "correct" meeting location.

Ok, I can confirm that not all of the medallion features work yet.  If you downloaded the Ocean Now app, this is supposed to work on the ship and let you order food and beverages from anywhere on the ship as well as request someone to come to you and help you with a question you might have.  This is not working.  This is a big part of the medallion experience that when implemented should be a huge plus.  I will update if this becomes available later on my cruise but I am not counting on that happening.

That's all for now.  If anyone has any questions, feel free and I will do the best I can to answer.  If you would like to follow this cruise, there is a great live thread going on by another cruiser on board.

Bill

Bill, thanks for this information.  We board the ship on Sunday and are happy to see that the medallion would be provided.  This has been a big confusion for over the past month.  Originally, this voyage and the future voyages through February were listed as "Medallion Preview" on the website and it was changed to "Vacation" meaning the medallion was now ship-wide.  We checked with our corporate rep and she said that this wasn't the case and we weren't included in the "Vacation" cabin location and wondered why the website said the ship was "Vacation".  Then, the website changed to "Preview" and we were back to square one.  Now your posting shows that it is ship-wide and the beat goes on.

We look forward to whatever status we might have and will be happy to provide our observations.

• 3 weeks later...

We have returned from our two-week voyage on the Regal and we did have the opportunity to use the medallion the entire time.  It worked flawlessly at the cabin door, the security boarding and leaving the ship and in the boutiques.  The bar staff still relied on using the cruise card number on the card. 

The use of the medallion at the various kiosks was fun and entertaining.  It provided information as to where you are and how to get to the various venues.  It could also highlight where your cabin mates were.

The internet worked very well and the Concierge app was very helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2018 at 9:06 AM, MrBill64 said:

If anyone has any questions, feel free and I will do the best I can to answer. 

We're wondering if you know if the Medallion thing interacts with, or interrupts, the Cellular At Sea for cell texting and calling.

Mother is 95; two nieces have health issues. We have texted to/from home on other cruises, and hope cellular still "works" to stay in touch.  Thanks!

Have a great trip. We just returned from Panama Canal on Island Princess, which is not on Medallion yet.

4 hours ago, ecs66 said:

We're wondering if you know if the Medallion thing interacts with, or interrupts, the Cellular At Sea for cell texting and calling.

The Medallion in this case functions just like a cruise card and has no interaction in any way with Cellular at Sea.

Your phone can use Cellular At Sea the same as in the past.