HAL Amsterdam in 2020

Cruise NH

10 hours ago, AndreaB said:

I actually disembarked in Buenos Aires last week so have not been able to get further information.  I think HAL is supposed to be announcing the specifics of the Grand Africa soon though. 

Andrea

The specifics of both the 2018 Grand Asia were announced in late June or early July of 2017, so I would guess that it would be around the same time frame for the Grand Africa.

Andrea - was there any further confirmation re a possible 2021 Grand Asia?

I was able to make a future cruise deposit for Grand Asia 2021, but without any specifics or confirmation that it will in fact happen. My understanding is that HAL may announce 2020 Grand Africa sooner, because Sheryll (future cruise consultant) was hoping she might be able to share details with me even before I disembarked last week. There was quite a bit of interest in this cruise and already several reservations made. 

If and and when I hear anything further, I will certainly share details. 

Andrea

2 hours ago, AndreaB said:

I was able to make a future cruise deposit for Grand Asia 2021, but without any specifics or confirmation that it will in fact happen. My understanding is that HAL may announce 2020 Grand Africa sooner, because Sheryll (future cruise consultant) was hoping she might be able to share details with me even before I disembarked last week. There was quite a bit of interest in this cruise and already several reservations made. 

If and and when I hear anything further, I will certainly share details. 

Andrea

Thanks, Andrea.  I appreciate any further you might get on the Grand Asia.

Virginia

22 hours ago, AndreaB said:

I actually disembarked in Buenos Aires last week so have not been able to get further information.  I think HAL is supposed to be announcing the specifics of the Grand Africa soon though. 

Andrea

Thank you for your response!  I am looking forward to finding out more about the Grand Asia and Grand Africa.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, Cactuskey said:

Two different cruises.The2020 WC has stops in Africa in April but a Grand Africa cruise would be a separate cruise which may happen later in the Fall. I think they last did a Grand Africa in 2014, and also in 2008,there may have been others. Hope it happens. I'm lucky enough to have gotten confirmed on the Singapore to Cape Town segment for the 2020 WC.  Would love a Grand Africa cruise also because you cant do all the things you want to see and do in Africa on a few port stops.

How did you get a confirmed segment Singapore to Cape Town. I’m wait listed Hal says that segments are not released yet

On 1/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, OlsSalt said:

Amsterdam 2020 - Indian Ocean/ Africa portion - Singapore to FLL

Wednesday, March 25  Singapore 9:00am   

Thursday, March 26  Singapore   5:00pm 

Friday, March 27  Strait of Malacca (Cruising)    

Saturday, March 28  At Sea    

Sunday, March 29  At Sea    

Monday, March 30  Colombo, Sri Lanka 8:00am  11:00pm 

Tuesday, March 31  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 1  Male, Maldives 8:00am  6:00pm 

Thursday, April 2  At Sea    

Friday, April 3  At Sea    

Saturday, April 4  Victoria, Seychelles Noon   

Sunday, April 5  Victoria, Seychelles   5:00pm 

Monday, April 6  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 7  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 8  Mombasa, Kenya 8:00am   

Thursday, April 9  Mombasa, Kenya   5:00pm 

Friday, April 10  Zanzibar, Tanzania 8:00am  5:00pm 

Saturday, April 11  At Sea    

Sunday, April 12  Mayotte, Comoro Islands 8:00am  5:00pm 

Monday, April 13  Nosy Be, Madagascar 8:00am  4:00pm 

Tuesday, April 14  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 15  At Sea    

Thursday, April 16  Maputo, Mozambique 8:00am  5:00pm 

Friday, April 17  Richards Bay, South Africa 8:00am  11:00pm 

Saturday, April 18  Durban, South Africa 8:00am  11:00pm 

Sunday, April 19  At Sea    

Monday, April 20  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 21  Cape Town, South Africa 8:00am   

Wednesday, April 22  Cape Town, South Africa   11:00pm 

Thursday, April 23  At Sea    

Friday, April 24  Luderitz, Namibia 8:00am  5:00pm 

Saturday, April 25  Walvis Bay, Namibia 8:00am  4:00pm 

Sunday, April 26  At Sea    

Monday, April 27  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 28  St. Helena, UK Territory 10:00am  6:00pm 

Wednesday, April 29  At Sea    

Thursday, April 30  Ascension Island, U.K. Territory 10:00am  6:00pm 

Friday, May 1  At Sea    

Saturday, May 2  At Sea    

Sunday, May 3  At Sea    

Monday, May 4  At Sea    

Tuesday, May 5  At Sea    

Wednesday, May 6  At Sea    

Thursday, May 7  Barbados 8:00am  6:00pm 

Friday, May 8  Guadeloupe 9:00am  3:00pm 

Saturday, May 9  San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00am  11:00pm 

Sunday, May 10  At Sea    

Monday, May 11  At Sea    

Tuesday, May 12  Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wait listed for this segment 

no idea, just got lucky. We did a futuredam deposit in April, then they asked for a bigger deposit in June, then the end of Nov got notification and confirmation along with cabin assignment. Our PCC was as surprised as we were. The FCC on a recent cruise insisted we couldnt possibly have gotten a segment but we finally convinced her. For whatever reason everything lined up for us!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have friends who are President's Club members who are currently aboard the Amsterdam on the World Cruise.  They recently gave me the telephone number of their contact at the Grand and World Cruises desk at HAL, so I called earlier today and spoke to their contact.  She told me the Grand Africa will be available to book anytime between May 1 and July 31, but her best guess is that the itinerary and booking information will be on the HAL website by the end of June.  She offered to email me the particulars as soon as they are available, and I thanked her.

Thought I would share this with all of you because I realize I am not the only one here who is eagerly awaiting this information.

Dee

Ms Amsterdam will be cruising New England in September 2020.  I have been going to the HAL website and previously her last cruise was Sept. 19 ending in Boston but now I see they have added two more cruises and she is ending Boston on Oct. 3.   I would presume that the Grand Africa will begin on Oct. 3 out of Boston and maybe cruising down to Ft. Lauderdale and then over  to Africa.  Who knows but it is fun to keep track and we are all anxiously waiting!!  That is just my guess.  

Another thought:  she has go get back to Ft. Lauderdale for the 2021 World Cruise which begins the first week of January.  There are some people that were on the 2018 Grand Asia cruise and stayed on for the 2019 World Cruise.  Fun to dream!!

Makes sense. What I was told when I was on the Prinsendam last month is that it will be an 80 day cruise if leaving from Boston or a little less if you booked it as a round trip Ft. Lauderdale  and that it would end before Christmas. Looking forward to finding out itinerary. 

Andrea

We contacted them and were able to place a refundable deposit ($100 pp). 

No additional information about itineraries or dates, yet. But it does guarantee you 

will have the initial distribution of a cabin in the category you specify. You can accept/reject it or tweak it once details are available. All before reservations are open to the general public. Now, we just have to wait! Hoping those aboard this year’s GWV will get an advance sneak peek and share it with us!

Wondering if one could embark on the Grand Africa cruise in either Boston on October 3 following the September 26 cruise or several days later in Fort Lauderdale, but the end of the Grand Africa cruise would be in Fort Lauderdale because it doesn't make sense to me that the Amsterdam would sail from Fort Lauderdale to Boston in December.  What are your thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Grand Africa 2020 cruise is 79 days, October 3 embarkation in Boston and December 21 disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale.

Itinerary includes:

Portugal

Morocco

Spain

Tunisia

Malta

Suez Canal

Jordan

Oman

Seychelles

Kenya

Tanzania

Mayotte

Madagascar

Mozambique

South Africa

Namibia

Angola

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Gambia

Senegal

Cape Verde

Puerto Rico

with 2 days in Aqaba (Petra)

"   "    "       "  Mombasa     and

"   3 days in Cape Town.

I believe, but am not certain, guest may embark either in Boston or Fort Lauderdale.  Perhaps someone reading this will know.

The voyage is not yet appearing on HAL's website, but then the HAL website is problematical in my experience.

Have not checked for a roll call, but will do so over the coming weekend.

Cheers,

Dee

cruznragtop@gmail.com

I believe you will be able to embark from Boston on October 3rd, New York on October 5th or Ft. Lauderdale on October 8th. HAL is targeting the end of May to release the official itinerary and pricing. A proposed itinerary was given to those of us on the Prinsendam and Amsterdam. Looks very interesting.

Andrea

WOW!!   This is getting more exciting as we learn little bits along the way.  Cruznragtop, thanks for sharing that with us.  I am going to print it out and carry it with me.  I am hoping we have some of our 2018 Grand Asia friends with us on this sailing.

I am sure the CC Africa Port of Call board will light up as we learn more about where we are going.   I have been doing some research on Cape Town as our thing will be to see the penguins. 

Happy sailing to all that are cruising this summer.

16 hours ago, AndreaB said:

I believe you will be able to embark from Boston on October 3rd, New York on October 5th or Ft. Lauderdale on October 8th. HAL is targeting the end of May to release the official itinerary and pricing. A proposed itinerary was given to those of us on the Prinsendam and Amsterdam. Looks very interesting.

Andrea

You are right. The 79 night Grand Africa Voyage starts in Boston Oct.3, etc. (Note to S&B - I'll be seeing you!)

The 2021 Grand World Voyage is 128 days, Jan. 4 to May 13, 2021, interesting itinerary.

Your travel agent can get you the itinerary for each but pricing has not yet been announced.

Supposedly the Grand Asia will not reappear until 2021. 

I've got deposits on the Grand 2020 and Grand 2021, just waiting for pricing.  

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday afternoon HAL may not need to post this voyage on their website because of the number of "Future Dam Booking Fall Grand Africa" reservations they already have.  The representative to whom I spoke informed me this reservation list numbers "in the hundreds."  Contact will be made via email with the guest or his or her travel agent "at the end of May."

When buying a Future Dam Booking Grand Africa reservation, the representative told me the guest should specify the stateroom category and three preferred stateroom numbers.

If anyone wants or needs a complete list of the ports of call, please let me know.