Sharing Panama Sunfarer Review- Zuiderdam December 2018

aotmc

This was my third HAL cruise in the past 3 years. Overall, I enjoyed it. There were some serious flaws, and some expected impressive wins. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. 

SHIP- This is an older vessel, I was surprised by how some things were quite shabby especially since it was in dry dock recently. The wooden railings were very worn, the carpets were tattered and showing wear in the hallways especially. While onboard they seemed to be replacing all the stairs carpeting, and would do it at odd times. For example during dinner service one night they were replacing carpet between floors leading to the MDR floors, forcing everyone to take the elevator for the final flight(s) down? Strange. The furnishings were all nice and up-to-date. I especially liked the chairs and high tops in the Gallery Bar. 

CABIN- Had a veranda, aft. It had a very deep balcony, nice sized. New flat screen wall mounted TV, bathroom not updated. Beds are wonderful as ever, as they have been on HAL cruises in the past. Room was very clean and of course well kept by attendant. 

DINING- Main Dining Room was run very smooth, better than other cruises I've been on recently. We had any time dining, and never waited for a table regardless of size requested. The breakfast and lunch food was noticeably better than the dinner in regards to timing, temperature of food, and presentation. The lack of vegetarian main menu items was glaring. They offered only one entrée a night that was veg on main menu and it was either a pasta or a grain/veg combo every single night all 11 days. That was annoying. The Canaletto had great food, worth the upcharge. The Dive-In was my favorite and the Asia distant lands counter in the Lido was my 2nd favorite for casual dining. In room dining was hit or miss with the food quality, but it was always on time and we had no temperature problems. Wrote in things on breakfast card, and all but once we got what we asked for. 

ENTERTAINMENT- Only went to Mainstage a few times, it was better than years past but we went only on nights they had special performers. Don't care for the ships singers/dancers. Lincoln Center Stage was top-notch, each performance was only a half hour. America's Test Kitchen was good when the menu was strong. One class was tomato soup and grilled cheese; I don't need to hear how to make that or improve it. Very few O magazine events. Many sales pitches were listed as activities-- no thanks. Don't put in a event for me to attend and find out they are just trying to get me to go to the spa or pay for a trainer, or buy some jewelry or buy some art. Annoying and beneath HAL. 

SERVICE- Best we have had. 

PORTS- Great. Enjoyed each stop. EXC staff was dismal and some ports seriously lacked any good options so we went with private tours for one port. I prefer to book through ship. 

CHILDREN- very very few on ship. Probably less than 10. 

CROWDS- Ship felt overly crowded on sea days. Port days it felt especially empty and lacked things to do. 

Thank you for your review.

We have experienced changing of carpet on the stairs done at weird times on some ships as well.  It is strange.

Many ships we have been on have had only 1 vegetarian offering for dinner.  That is why people who want vegetarian choices call HAL before the cruise and arrange for special menus be brought to them the night before so that they can select what they want for the dinner the following evening.

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

That is why people who want vegetarian choices call HAL before the cruise and arrange for special menus be brought to them the night before so that they can select what they want for the dinner the following evening.

Yes, I have done this before when I had set-dining, but I didn't want to this cruise for a few reasons. Some of our stops went until 11pm and I didn't know if I would even be on-board for dinner and didn't want to order only to not show. I also knew there would be nights where I'd end up in the Lido if I was too tired or wanted a quick dinner, but I wouldn't know that the day beforehand. Beyond that, I havnen't found the special vegetarian menu to focus on fresh food and vegetables, but offers more meals that are able to be stored long term in freezer I suspect (veggie patty burger comes to mind). On previous sailings the standard MDR menus have had more varied options. The food I did have in MDR was good, but it was repetitive.