Has anyone gotten the Cellar Master Package?

faerievert

I'm tempted by the Cellar Master Package. We are only 2-star mariners, so we don't get the beverage discount. On a 17-night cruise, the SBP isn't worth it. Some days it would be, but we, and especially I, won't consistently drink enough to be worth $100/day. I was originally planning to get the 6 or 8 bottle Cellar #1 package, and we would have purchased at least one pinnacle dinner. This will be for our upcoming 17-night Hawaii Feb 3.

Cellar Master Package current description says:

A premium wine tasting experience is available throughout the length of your cruise with the Cellar Master Package. Two wine tasting events conducted by our Cellar Master, two evenings of fine dining in the Pinnacle Grill, six bottles from the sommelier cellar, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift are included for on board enjoyment. Pricing based on double occupancy, 11+ day voyages. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item.

1. Has anyone gotten the Cellar Master Package? Do you regret it?
  2. Can anyone tell me about the "wine tasting events"? What are they? Could we still do them without the package? How much would they cost? We love wine tastings. But don't remember doing any on past cruises.
  3. What are the "Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift "? Is that a 7th bottle of wine?
  4. Which cellar # package do you choose your wines from? I read one comment that said #1, but haven't found any corroboration. 

6 minutes ago, faerievert said:

I'm tempted by the Cellar Master Package. We are only 2-star mariners, so we don't get the beverage discount. On a 17-night cruise, the SBP isn't worth it. Some days it would be, but we, and especially I, won't consistently drink enough to be worth $100/day. I was originally planning to get the 6 or 8 bottle Cellar #1 package, and we would have purchased at least one pinnacle dinner. This will be for our upcoming 17-night Hawaii Feb 3.

Cellar Master Package current description says:

A premium wine tasting experience is available throughout the length of your cruise with the Cellar Master Package. Two wine tasting events conducted by our Cellar Master, two evenings of fine dining in the Pinnacle Grill, six bottles from the sommelier cellar, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift are included for on board enjoyment. Pricing based on double occupancy, 11+ day voyages. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item.

1. Has anyone gotten the Cellar Master Package? Do you regret it?
  2. Can anyone tell me about the "wine tasting events"? What are they? Could we still do them without the package? How much would they cost? We love wine tastings. But don't remember doing any on past cruises.
  3. What are the "Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift "? Is that a 7th bottle of wine?
  4. Which cellar # package do you choose your wines from? I read one comment that said #1, but haven't found any corroboration. 

1. Got it once.  Didn't regret it but had a couple of issues - but they were rectified well.

2.  Wine tasting events are the regular wine tasting events.  One is the regular and the other is the premium.  My memory is short so I hope someone will confirm.  IIRC, the regular one (which used to be Navigator pack) is $15.  The other one which is the premium was $25/$35.  You can definitely go to them without the package.

3.  The wine gift can be coasters, wine glass markers, that type of thing.  The commemorative bottle of wine back when we did was a Chef Rudi bottle of wine.

4.  When we did it the cellar # package was #1.

It's worth it to do the math.  Add up the costs and see if you are saving $.  And take a look at the wine packages (although they may be changing).  If the wines you prefer are in #2 or #3 then you might want to just purchase all the different things on your own.

We got the package a few years ago.

I think it was on a 12 day cruise.  We ended up going to 3 wine tastings - they were great.   If purchased separately, one tasting cost $15 per person, one was $25 per person and the third was $35 per person.  The more expensive wine tastings were the best, lots of really good wine and nibblies.

Our free gift was wine glass markers - no big deal.

And, of course, dinner in the Pinnacle was very good.

We don't regret buying the package.  We were happy with the choice of wines available. 

I don't like buying ahead unless I have to. Can I get the cellar master package once we get on the boat?

I heard the bev packages are supposed to be changing (upgrading?) so there's a gamble that this one won't exist or will be more expensive by February. 

4 minutes ago, faerievert said:

I don't like buying ahead unless I have to. Can I get the cellar master package once we get on the boat?

I heard the bev packages are supposed to be changing (upgrading?) so there's a gamble that this one won't exist or will be more expensive by February. 

Back when I did it, it had to be bought in advance.

I have never seen it offered on board or mentioned.

we bought the cellar master package #3 last year and found one white and a red we really liked. With 4* discount it came ot about $24 a bottle. Plan to do it again when we sail in Feb. We will now be 5*. The white was Drylands SB   from NZ and the red was a pinot from Calif. Much better than bringing it on board and paying $18 corkage. We will be on for 21 days and the cost drops to about$20 each.

54 minutes ago, SeaBands said:

we bought the cellar master package #3 last year and found one white and a red we really liked. With 4* discount it came ot about $24 a bottle. Plan to do it again when we sail in Feb. We will now be 5*. The white was Drylands SB   from NZ and the red was a pinot from Calif. Much better than bringing it on board and paying $18 corkage. We will be on for 21 days and the cost drops to about$20 each.

The OP is asking about the actual Cellar Master package which is different than the Wine packages 😉 

We had the Cellar Masters package - it was wonderful - a gift from Holland America.  I just re-gifted the wine glass markers to a wine afficiendo the other day!  I probably would not purchase a package as we do not drink red wine.

Between me and my husband we like just about any wine. We’d likely spend the money on the perks either way, so that leaves the best per bottle pricing we’re gonna find. Thanks all. Sounds like I should go for it :classic_smile: and before we sail! Though I still find it odd it would only be for presale.

Tried to buy and it wants me to assign it to one person even though I'm trying to buy the "double" package. @gigianne (or anyone else) can you confirm that the benefits on the "double" cellar master package extend to both of us? It's not nearly as worth it if only one person gets the included dinners and tastings!

1 hour ago, faerievert said:

Tried to buy and it wants me to assign it to one person even though I'm trying to buy the "double" package. @gigianne (or anyone else) can you confirm that the benefits on the "double" cellar master package extend to both of us? It's not nearly as worth it if only one person gets the included dinners and tastings!

The package is for two, or it should be.

When you book it will be assigned to one person, but you select two in the booking.

So let it go to you, but select two in the booking and you will be fine.

Same with specialty dining or anything else you do.  

Hope this helps 🙂 

14 hours ago, faerievert said:

@faerievert

I will be interested in reading your opinion of the package, if you do go for it. I will be doing the 17 day Hawaii trip later next year, and am just really starting to pay attention to the different packages.

Enjoy your cruise!

15 hours ago, faerievert said:

One person makes the purchase for either the single or double package. They don't have to know who the second person is.

Edited by OVgirl