Koningsdam Challenge---Need Your Best Suggestions!

EMc&DrS

My wife and I are about to take our 15th cruise this week, but it will be our first on Holland America, the MS Koningsdam.  We only booked this cruise earlier this month, but considering it was going to be a New Year's cruise (often the most expensive of the year!), we liked the price, really liked the fact that it was Friday to Friday (so that we'd still have the weekend after getting home), and loved the itinerary (we are "beach" people and love to snorkel). We are booked in a VB stateroom on Beethoven deck on the port side near the aft--the larger balcony looked enticing, and we're just one floor above the Promenade deck and MDR. 

Since Holland America is new to us and we've had very little time to plan, we'd love to hear your suggestions.  What are the things not to be missed: whether it's a specific meal in the MDR, a particular drink in a particular bar or lounge, a specific venue, a quiet place to relax outside--whatever you think.  I figured since it was the day after Christmas and most cruise addicts have nothing to do today but dream about their next cruise, this would be the perfect time to hit up all the experienced HA cruisers for tips and suggestions. So, if you were leaving on Koningsdam this Friday, what would you definitely want to eat, drink, see, experience, etc. again once you were back onboard?

Ready, set, go!

Make sure you hit the NY Deli.  It is at the aft end of the lido pool area one deck above.  Good pizza (I get it custom with extra sausage and cheese) and sandwiches.  Also the Dive in has excellent burgers and fries.

We are boarding Jan 13.

2 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

My wife and I are about to take our 15th cruise this week, but it will be our first on Holland America, the MS Koningsdam.  We only booked this cruise earlier this month, but considering it was going to be a New Year's cruise (often the most expensive of the year!), we liked the price, really liked the fact that it was Friday to Friday (so that we'd still have the weekend after getting home), and loved the itinerary (we are "beach" people and love to snorkel). We are booked in a VB stateroom on Beethoven deck on the port side near the aft--the larger balcony looked enticing, and we're just one floor above the Promenade deck and MDR. 

Since Holland America is new to us and we've had very little time to plan, we'd love to hear your suggestions.  What are the things not to be missed: whether it's a specific meal in the MDR, a particular drink in a particular bar or lounge, a specific venue, a quiet place to relax outside--whatever you think.  I figured since it was the day after Christmas and most cruise addicts have nothing to do today but dream about their next cruise, this would be the perfect time to hit up all the experienced HA cruisers for tips and suggestions. So, if you were leaving on Koningsdam this Friday, what would you definitely want to eat, drink, see, experience, etc. again once you were back onboard?

Ready, set, go!

Having 6 HAL trips behind us and one on the K'dam this is only what WE would do.

Pinnacle Grill        (Have done dinner here 6 for 6 last one on NS was excellent with new menu items)

Canaletto             (small cover charge of $15)

BB Kings             (Being from Detroit area love Motown)

RS Rock Room  (I know it's only Rock & Roll but we like it)

Grand Dutch Café     (Excellent Panini's, pastries etc.....)

We would say we like Lido as best food at a buffet of all the lines we have been on.  MANY people love Tamarind so if that is your thing do it.   Have fun!

Can't say enough good things about Tamarind. We were on K'dam the last week of June and loved the ship. Tamarind is billed as "Asian Fusion" (whatever that means) and we like it much better than The Pinnacle Grill - that said, since you've never cruised with HAL, please also enjoy a meal in the Pinnacle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Make sure you hit the NY Deli.  It is at the aft end of the lido pool area one deck above.  Good pizza (I get it custom with extra sausage and cheese) and sandwiches.  Also the Dive in has excellent burgers and fries.

We are boarding Jan 13.

1 hour ago, Boytjie said:

Check out the Grand Dutch Cafe for delicious coffee and light meals or desserts.

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

Having 6 HAL trips behind us and one on the K'dam this is only what WE would do.

Pinnacle Grill        (Have done dinner here 6 for 6 last one on NS was excellent with new menu items)

Canaletto             (small cover charge of $15)

BB Kings             (Being from Detroit area love Motown)

RS Rock Room  (I know it's only Rock & Roll but we like it)

Grand Dutch Café     (Excellent Panini's, pastries etc.....)

We would say we like Lido as best food at a buffet of all the lines we have been on.  MANY people love Tamarind so if that is your thing do it.   Have fun!

59 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Can't say enough good things about Tamarind. We were on K'dam the last week of June and loved the ship. Tamarind is billed as "Asian Fusion" (whatever that means) and we like it much better than The Pinnacle Grill - that said, since you've never cruised with HAL, please also enjoy a meal in the Pinnacle.

These are all great suggestions--thanks!  We were interested in trying a specialty restaurant or two, so it sounds like we know where to start now.  Do they offer any "deals" on specialty dining when you book onboard?  For example, Celebrity often offers a discount if you dine the first night.  Should we expect to see anything like that on HAL?

Just off the Konigsdam and I scanned all of the Specialty Restaurant menus.  Here is a link:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus

The Wiener Schnitzel in the MDR is as good as any I have had while living in Germany.  Ask for some gravy to make it extra special.

Book your Specialty Restaurants online for specific times of your choosing.  If you wait until you board, you may not get a reservation at all.

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Just off the Konigsdam and I scanned all of the Specialty Restaurant menus.  Here is a link:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus

The Wiener Schnitzel in the MDR is as good as any I have had while living in Germany.  Ask for some gravy to make it extra special.

Book your Specialty Restaurants online for specific times of your choosing.  If you wait until you board, you may not get a reservation at all.

Thanks.  Since we sail Friday, it's too late to book reservations.  However, there were still lots of open slots over the weekend when I last looked at the options.  We'll arrive early and book reservations as soon as we get onboard.  Do we go to the specific restaurants to do that, or will there be a table set up in a central location to handle dining reservations?

Also, do they serve lobster at one of the gala nights?

Yes, they serve lobster on the gala nights both in the MDR and the Lido buffet.  It is also available on any other night for a surcharge.

You can make dining reservations by dialing 88 or by visiting the podium on Deck 2, located directly across from the Pinnacle Grill and Sel de Mer restaurants.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited to add that it might be 92 you dial, but the number will be listed in your room key holder (which they give you when you check in).

Edited by *Miss G*

3 minutes ago, EMc&DrS said:

Thanks.  Since we sail Friday, it's too late to book reservations.  However, there were still lots of open slots over the weekend when I last looked at the options.  We'll arrive early and book reservations as soon as we get onboard.  Do we go to the specific restaurants to do that, or will there be a table set up in a central location to handle dining reservations?

Also, do they serve lobster at one of the gala nights?

There is a podium on Deck 2 across from the Pinnacle Grill that can do reservations for all Specialty Restaurants.

Lobster indeed on the second Gala Night.

My DH and I just got off the Koningsdam. It was our 2nd time on her, our 11th on HAL. I would agree to try the Grand Dutch Cafe, there is a charge for the specialty drinks but the food is free and good. Check out the Crows Nest at the front of the ship, Explorations cafe is there (same goes for specialty drinks and food) and the room itself has comfortable chairs for reading and day dreaming. There is also a bar at the Crows nest and the staff (Rolando, Norgee, Rico and Jonathan) are excellent & fun. We really liked the Rolling Stone Rock Room Band (there are snacks in Billboard @ night until 8pm) and the piano player in the Ocean Bar. Trivia with Warren and Thomas was also fun if you like trivia. I would do the Pinnacle grill over Tamarind. They changed the menu and we were not impressed.The # for specialty dining reservations is 88. I hope you have a great time and have a Happy New Year!

16 minutes ago, Lcubed said:

My DH and I just got off the Koningsdam. It was our 2nd time on her, our 11th on HAL. I would agree to try the Grand Dutch Cafe, there is a charge for the specialty drinks but the food is free and good. Check out the Crows Nest at the front of the ship, Explorations cafe is there (same goes for specialty drinks and food) and the room itself has comfortable chairs for reading and day dreaming. There is also a bar at the Crows nest and the staff (Rolando, Norgee, Rico and Jonathan) are excellent & fun. We really liked the Rolling Stone Rock Room Band (there are snacks in Billboard @ night until 8pm) and the piano player in the Ocean Bar. Trivia with Warren and Thomas was also fun if you like trivia. I would do the Pinnacle grill over Tamarind. They changed the menu and we were not impressed.The # for specialty dining reservations is 88. I hope you have a great time and have a Happy New Year!

THANKS!

One food item I try never to miss out on is the In Room Dining (room service) chocolate layer cake.  Excellent for chocoholics.  In general the HAL room service choices are all good.Alas, the trays no longer come with flowers on them.  

There is now a "chocolate surprise" offered on the Promenade deck around the music venues and bar lounges on the next to last evening of the cruise around 9:30pm.  Servers come around with tray of goodies.  We missed on our last cruise (both loops of the B2B!) because we were just finishing our late dinner (8:15 or 8:30 reservations after most of Lincoln Center Stage), so go for our share too!  

Look for the after dinner treats table near the MDR exit... used to be served by the "yum yum man" but now it is self service, mints, dates, candied ginger... 

If you have been on any CCL cruise line you can be 1 star Mariners and get invited to the Mariner's Luncheon.  So If you have cruised on Princess, Cunard, Carnival or any of the other Carnival Corp cruise lines, call ship services or the Mariner Society to get your 1 star level applied.  They give out the Mariner souvenir delft tiles at the luncheon. 

Happy planning, m-- 

2 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

One food item I try never to miss out on is the In Room Dining (room service) chocolate layer cake.  Excellent for chocoholics.  In general the HAL room service choices are all good.Alas, the trays no longer come with flowers on them.  

There is now a "chocolate surprise" offered on the Promenade deck around the music venues and bar lounges on the next to last evening of the cruise around 9:30pm.  Servers come around with tray of goodies.  We missed on our last cruise (both loops of the B2B!) because we were just finishing our late dinner (8:15 or 8:30 reservations after most of Lincoln Center Stage), so go for our share too!  

Look for the after dinner treats table near the MDR exit... used to be served by the "yum yum man" but now it is self service, mints, dates, candied ginger... 

If you have been on any CCL cruise line you can be 1 star Mariners and get invited to the Mariner's Luncheon.  So If you have cruised on Princess, Cunard, Carnival or any of the other Carnival Corp cruise lines, call ship services or the Mariner Society to get your 1 star level applied.  They give out the Mariner souvenir delft tiles at the luncheon. 

Happy planning, m-- 

All great suggestions--thanks.  If we leave on Friday, is it too late to call ship services?  We've sailed Princess twice, and we are gold level on Carnival.

21 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Another vote for the Tamarind restaurant -- the ladies there do an excellent job of taking care of you and anything special you need.

Grand Dutch Cafe -- chocolate  -- I would eat there a lot.

Thanks--didn't even have Grand Dutch Cafe on our radar, but it seems to be something we have to check out.

3 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

All great suggestions--thanks.  If we leave on Friday, is it too late to call ship services?  We've sailed Princess twice, and we are gold level on Carnival.

You can call ship services, may or may not happen, but then take some record or at least the dates of your previous CCL cruise to guest relations/front desk and request it there; they will do a verification and then give you a new key card with a star on it.  

I just got off the Koningsdam Christmas cruise today- I hope you see this before you sail. You have received some good advice from others but let me brief you on our experience! We took the same cruise last year and enjoyed it so much that we booked it again. Big difference this year!!

If you want to get one of those Ruebens or pizzas at NY Deli be prepared to have a 30 to 45 minute wait!! That happened on our cruise on more than one occasion. In fact we ordered coffee from room service and they told us it would be 30 to 45 minutes. You can expect at least a 20 minute wait at Dutch Cafe for food and the pea soup was served cold and so ridiculously thick it was like paste. 

Tamarind was great - both food and service! We ate there twice. Pinnacle Grille dinner was average at best. They could not get my husband's filet mignon cooked properly after 2 times. I had the halibut and it was so dry it was inedible! The shrimp cocktail and lobster bisque were both good. Lunch in Pinnacle was better but they did forget to bring our second course! The main dining room is totally understaffed! We had to ask for bread at both lunch and dinner. There are no longer two waiters attending to your table only one. If you have a problem with what you ordered or need something additional such as more sauce, ketchup, etc. good luck finding someone to help you! Long wait for dive in grill items also and they neglected to put all the items on both mine and my husband's sandwich- left off the avacado on my portobello and left off the bacon on husband's cannonball burger. Also the cheese was not melted on my sandwich. I was told there was no more regular cream cheese at breakfast in the lido- only strawberry cream cheese which didn't really appeal to me capers and smoked salmon. I also heard them tell a guest they ran out of almond milk and also gluten free cereal. These may all seem like small problems but added together they lessen the enjoyment of your experience! One more thing- there are no printed bar menus with all of the drink offerings- just a handful of special cocktails in some of the venues

2 hours ago, Travrat said:

I just got off the Koningsdam Christmas cruise today- I hope you see this before you sail. You have received some good advice from others but let me brief you on our experience! We took the same cruise last year and enjoyed it so much that we booked it again. Big difference this year!!

If you want to get one of those Ruebens or pizzas at NY Deli be prepared to have a 30 to 45 minute wait!! That happened on our cruise on more than one occasion. In fact we ordered coffee from room service and they told us it would be 30 to 45 minutes. You can expect at least a 20 minute wait at Dutch Cafe for food and the pea soup was served cold and so ridiculously thick it was like paste. 

Tamarind was great - both food and service! We ate there twice. Pinnacle Grille dinner was average at best. They could not get my husband's filet mignon cooked properly after 2 times. I had the halibut and it was so dry it was inedible! The shrimp cocktail and lobster bisque were both good. Lunch in Pinnacle was better but they did forget to bring our second course! The main dining room is totally understaffed! We had to ask for bread at both lunch and dinner. There are no longer two waiters attending to your table only one. If you have a problem with what you ordered or need something additional such as more sauce, ketchup, etc. good luck finding someone to help you! Long wait for dive in grill items also and they neglected to put all the items on both mine and my husband's sandwich- left off the avacado on my portobello and left off the bacon on husband's cannonball burger. Also the cheese was not melted on my sandwich. I was told there was no more regular cream cheese at breakfast in the lido- only strawberry cream cheese which didn't really appeal to me capers and smoked salmon. I also heard them tell a guest they ran out of almond milk and also gluten free cereal. These may all seem like small problems but added together they lessen the enjoyment of your experience! One more thing- there are no printed bar menus with all of the drink offerings- just a handful of special cocktails in some of the venues

Sorry your cruise wasn’t as great as you had hoped. Thanks for the heads up. We were in the first group to get on the ship, so once we booked our dining reservations and put our stuff in our room, we went to Dine-In before there was a line. Tamarind tonight! Pinnacle on Jan 1. We’ll see how it goes....

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise! Just trying to give you some advice. We loved Lincoln Center Stage group and BB King Club. The first Stage One Dance show was wonderful!!

If you like Trivia it is very fun in Crow's Nest most days at 4:00- you can then go to Happy Hour- buy one get 2nd for $2 at

Billboard and Rock Room from 4-5 daily

We ate at Sel de Mer one night- I enjoyed it. Had escargot in shell with pesto and Dover sole. They give you a starter tray with olive tapenade, caponata, olives and a baguette with butter. The haricot verte and cauliflower puree are both good. My friend did not like the boullaibaisse. I had cassoulet and hubby had coq au vin last year- both good -Nice venue if you like french bistro

Edited by Travrat

Creme brûlée in main dining room is fabulous! Rack of lamb with white beans on first gala dinner is also very good if you like lamb- I order it at least med-rare. Our friends enjoyed the duck on that gala menu. Try to have breakfast in the dining room as it is much more relaxing than Lido. The frittata with veggies and goat cheese is really good as are the custom omelettes and eggs benedict.

I was on the 14 day Baltic cruise in September on the Koningsdam.  I really enjoyed the food in the Lido.  Since I was traveling solo, I prefer to eat dinner in the MDR, but found the food outstanding in the Lido, much better than the MDR. Some of the items would change according to the port. Outstanding  German food, lots of pork including a whole small roasted pig, sauerbraten, red cabbage, sausages. Great smoked 

fish in Sweden, I could go on and on. Always an Asian sti fry cooked to order. By far the best buffet ever on a cruise. So good that I only ate in one of the specialty restaurants, the Die Librije, which took over the Pinnacle one evening. That was quite an experience, but I cannot say that I enjoyed the food any more than the Lido. Although I did get the recommended wines for each course. 

Edited by kentuckysailor
Inserts
  • Thanks 1