Unless you are into Drunken Battery Avoid the Getaway

djpeteski

On 12/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, djpeteski said:

The wife and I along with our four adult children sailed on the Getaway on 16 Dec - 23 Dec 2018.

We normally sail Carnival with Royal Caribbean as a back up.  However, we chose this cruise as it was going to save us 1500-2K, and would take us to some ports the kids have not seen before.  The wife and I are veterans of about a dozen cruises each, and it was her first time sailing with NCL.  I sailed with them many years ago.  We have also done some of the shorter "booze cruises" on both Carnival and RC; however, none were as bad as this one.  

This turned out to be a 7 day booze cruise for middle aged adults that could not handle their alcohol and acted like the stereotypical entitled millennial.  Most millennials are hard working decent young people trying to figure out their lives, not what is portrayed in the media.  

So it seemed most people selected the free drink perk with their state room, and they behaved worse then a bunch of college kids.  Highlights included a women punching and cursing out a hand sanitizer station.  A man urinating in the halls of ship.  A man punching a bartender and then his wife.  It was crazy how drunk people were and security was totally absent.  The bartenders were clearly over serving.

I would avoid this ship and this will be my last time sailing with NCL. 

I have been on the Getaway a few times and have never had an issue close to this, of course occasionally you will get someone that drank too much and gets loud but normally friends/family calm them down and nothing becomes of it. I can believe his experience about some crazy drunk people but punching a bartender (and his wife) would get you kicked off the ship at the next stop. Either way though, before you decide your last time sailing any cruiseline you should probably do a "youtube/google" search of "cruise ship fight" and of the approx. 300 videos uploaded there is only 2-3 NCL and 2-3 Royal, a few random and about 275 are Carnival fights. I am sure plenty other fights have happened that were not on video but if you compare statistically I think NCL will be one of the safer choices.

12 hours ago, RD29P5 said:

That's been pretty much my experience on Carnival. 

This. Considering the OP says their preferred line is Carnival (who refers to themselves as "the party ship"!!) combined with the OP only posted 3 times on these boards ... suspect, at best. Maybe that's just the cynic in me.

My last (previous and final!) cruise on Carnival I had a guy completely blitzed, falling off the stool in the piano bar - but that's not why I won't sail with them anymore. The fact that the waitress continued to serve when I pointed out that he was getting touchy with female bar patrons is a good reason. Better was when security yelled at me to not tell them how to do their job (because I suggested they keep an eye on him after groping my friend) and to not ruin people's cruises with my accusations (!!) is are good reasons though. 

Drunk people though? You see them EVERYwhere. Grown-ups overindulging are not the cruise line's fault.

Edited by mchelle77
  • Like 3

I was also on this sailing of the Getaway.  I saw a number of intoxicated people but no pass-out drunk or violent ones.  I did notice the bartenders poured VERY HEAVY drinks.  I think they thought it would save time to give one "SUPER" drink since a large majority of the customers had unlimited drinks.  My rum and coke never had less than three to four shots in it.   It would it have been very easy to drink too much.

We were on the Getaway in 2016 and saw a guy trying to fight with a ship photographer.  We were walking past while they were screaming at each other.  I walked up to Guest Services and suggested they send security over to the staircase.  Of all the ships we've been on, the Getaway was my least favorite.  We still sail NCL though.  We've got one booked for March.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:34 PM, opshannon said:

I was on this cruise with my family. First night in Savor there was a table of about 8 who came in drunk as hell and only got louder over the course of the meal. We asked the Maitre D' to ask them to quiet down (there table was right next to ours). He did not. 

Last night of the cruise witnessed a man trying to start a fight with another outside the aft bank of elevators. I'm guessing deck 7. Can't be sure. 

There was definitely some other people who were visibly hammered that we saw throughout the trip. I was a little surprised. It's not enough to swear off NCL, but I wanted to defend the OP by testifying to seeing some really drunken, rowdy behavior. 

There may have been some rowdy drunk people on this cruise, but that is not the cruise lines fault, it is the fault of the trashy people who can't control themselves. I have been on many cruises and I have never witnessed this kind of behavior. I have seen it on the news a few times. This could happen on any cruise line, and I don't think NCL is prone to this trashy behavior. People need to act like responsible adults, it's a shame, but why blame the cruise line??

• Like 1

So I was on this same cruise and I honestly have no idea where OP saw any of this. I have cruised in carnival and royal carribean multiple times and I saw much more rowdy behavior on those than I did on this cruise. And it wasn’t like I was in my room early. My sister is younger than me and was all for staying out to get food at all odd hours of the night sometimes 3 am. We walked the ship and everything else. And all I saw was the normal amount of drunk people for a cruise. The worst thing we found was a poor guy asleep outside the door to his room because he couldn’t find his room key. We called the steward to let him in since his room was near ours. And the. Security showed up and took him away. He wasn’t even causing trouble. So security is there and working and literally I saw no violence on the ship at all! So I’m really confused how OP saw so many instances of it unless he was hunting for it? 

21 minutes ago, Cruisesoncruises said:

So I was on this same cruise and I honestly have no idea where OP saw any of this. I have cruised in carnival and royal carribean multiple times and I saw much more rowdy behavior on those than I did on this cruise. And it wasn’t like I was in my room early. My sister is younger than me and was all for staying out to get food at all odd hours of the night sometimes 3 am. We walked the ship and everything else. And all I saw was the normal amount of drunk people for a cruise. The worst thing we found was a poor guy asleep outside the door to his room because he couldn’t find his room key. We called the steward to let him in since his room was near ours. And the. Security showed up and took him away. He wasn’t even causing trouble. So security is there and working and literally I saw no violence on the ship at all! So I’m really confused how OP saw so many instances of it unless he was hunting for it? 

It pretty much goes with what you want to see: Though I wan not on the ship I have cruised enough to know, unless you stay up, hanging out in the bar until 2am, you will not, normally see that many people who are over the top. It is like any other vacation; there are always a few but for the most part we rarely see people who are truly blasted. 

4 hours ago, siamese5555 said:

My rum and coke never had less than three to four shots in it.   It would it have been very easy to drink too much.

Really? "three to four shots" in a rum and coke? Wouldn't be any room for the coke.  Bartender would be fired for a quadruple pouring.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

If you were on this cruise...and a bartender got punched in the face, and the guy then turned and decked his wife...you would definitely have heard about it.  

I don’t have enough words to express how utterly absurd this post is. 3000 plus passengers right? I mean your logic just blows my mind. 

Op likes Carnival.  The only drunken experience I have had in a cruise ship has been on a Carnival.  My best/tamest have been on NCL.   Either I’m lucky, OP is not or one of us is slightly skewed in our overall perceptions of the ship based on a few passengers.   Since the Getaway can literally hold more people than my home town, I’m guessing I may be a bit more closer to the truth

sorry your trip was so memorable:-(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, senseib said:

Really? "three to four shots" in a rum and coke? Wouldn't be any room for the coke.  Bartender would be fired for a quadruple pouring.

I watched them pour my drinks and yes--they were very heavy pours.  There wasn't much room for soda.

Hmmm... drunk people in a confined area with a "free" drink promo and little else to do other than drink....quick, call Sherlock Holmes - we've got a mystery on our hands :classic_laugh:

Perhaps OP is exaggerating the battery claim, but who amongst us hasn't witnessed cringe-worthy drunken behavior on a cruise?  Heck, I witnessed plenty of drunken behavior at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival, and those people had to PAY for their drinks!  It's a shame that some adults don't know their limits with alcohol.  Stumbling, slurring your words, passing out - not a good look on anyone...

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Hmmm... drunk people in a confined area with a "free" drink promo and little else to do other than drink....quick, call Sherlock Holmes - we've got a mystery on our hands :classic_laugh:

Perhaps OP is exaggerating the battery claim, but who amongst us hasn't witnessed cringe-worthy drunken behavior on a cruise?  Heck, I witnessed plenty of drunken behavior at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival, and those people had to PAY for their drinks!  It's a shame that some adults don't know their limits with alcohol.  Stumbling, slurring your words, passing out - not a good look on anyone...

they are very generous which is what most want but not 3 or 4 shots. Of course if they poured just 1 plus shot people would be complaining the drinks were not strong enough. 

I have been on the Getaway three times (twice in the Caribbean and once in the Baltic) and have never witnessed such behavior.  If I did see such behavior, I would blame the people and their lack of responsibility/control, not the cruise line! Come on now.

Edited by Seminole1975

We cruise NCL, Celebrity and Royal.  We have never encountered such behavior on any of our 19 cruises.  Most of our cruises have been two week cruises, except for Alaska and NE and Canada.  Even on those cruises, nothing like this happened.

My Son was on the Sky three day Bahama cruise and said that with everyone having the drink package that drunks were all over the place, but not fighting was involved.

This is exactly why they should make alcohol illegal and marijuana legal. They have it backwards.  Drunks are dangerous. People who are high are simply hungry and mellow! lol

Edited by e2011
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, e2011 said:

This is exactly why they should make alcohol illegal and marijuana legal. They have it backwards.  Drunks are dangerous. People who are high are simply hungry and mellow! lol

Cruising is the perfect pairing! Though, we should expect fares to go up due to increased food costs...

21 hours ago, Cruisesoncruises said:

As I have said, I was on this cruise. I didn't see what he saw either. I did see the drunken behavior I described in my post earlier. I wasn't hunting for problems when I saw them. They happened to be occurring where I was. I have no reason to believe that the OP is lying even though I didn't personally witness what he described.  See I believe you that you didn't see any problems. It's a big ship. I probably never saw you, nor you me. But I believe that you were on the ship. And I believe your report.

What's weird to me about this whole thread is the necessity of people to attack those who post something that they see as an attack on NCL. I said this earlier: NCL is a corporation, not a family member. People treat "criticism" or even something that casts a negative light on the company as a kind of personal insult. Again, let me stress. I'll happily cruise NCL again. I had a great trip. The OP has sworn them off. I'm not sure why people couldn't just reply to him, "I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Mine was very positive and unlike yours. I hope you find other lines to your liking." How hard would that be to do?