Bermuda TWIZY Minicar Rentals?

LyndaG

Hello, I just read an article in AARP that mentioned a new way to scout out the island besides the motor scooters.  Has anyone heard of the mini electric car called a TWIZY?  According to the article they came out in 2016.  I'll be in Bermuda in August 2019 and would love to know more about renting these.  Anyone out there know about these or tried one?

Link to the article: https://www.aarp.org/travel/vacation-ideas/beaches/info-2018/bermuda.html

21 minutes ago, LyndaG said:

Hello, I just read an article in AARP that mentioned a new way to scout out the island besides the motor scooters.  Has anyone heard of the mini electric car called a TWIZY?  According to the article they came out in 2016.  I'll be in Bermuda in August 2019 and would love to know more about renting these.  Anyone out there know about these or tried one?

Link to the article: https://www.aarp.org/travel/vacation-ideas/beaches/info-2018/bermuda.html

If you go to Cruise Critic's Ports of Call board for Bermuda you'll find  threads about the Twizy and posters' experiences with the vehicle

11 minutes ago, LyndaG said:

I've rented Twizys twice - once in Bonaire and then two months ago in Bermuda.  I love them!  In Bermuda I rented from Current Vechicles

It's a great way to see the island.  Easy to drive, but you do drive on the "wrong" side of the road in Bermuda. Our cruise ship docked in Hamilton and we walked to The Hamilton Princess & Beach Club to pick up the Twizy.  The rental is for 24 hrs, so if you pick it up at noon you can keep it till noon the following day. They recommend a mapping app you can download on your phone and  add markers for their charging stations.  I downloaded the app, but had problems adding their charging station markers.  No problem.  They did it for me when I picked up the Twizy. They also set up a route for me so the app also gave turn-by-turn driving directions.  We drove out to St George's island. Had lunch and explored, then drove all the way back and visited the beach areas on the south island coast.  We did recharge at St George's, but maybe didn't need to.

The only word of caution is that Twizys are narrow vehicles where the drive sits in front and the passenger sits behind.  It can be a little difficult for the passenger to get into and out of the back seat.  If the passenger has any mobility issues, a Twizy is probably not a good idea.  My wife had no problem riding in the back seat, but I have read about others who didn't like it.  I do think that Twizys are much safer than scooters.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  We will be docking at the Dockyard so we'd have to take the ferry to Hamilton.  The Twizy sounds like something my husband and I would love.  We like to explore.  I'd want to go to St. George b/c that is the only section of the island we haven't been to.  Maybe by early August there will be some rental options at the dockyard.  

Oleander Cycles is now offering two different electric vehicles for rent. One looks very similar to the Twizy and the other appears to have a boxy shape. They say you can rent them at Dockyard.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2612894-a-second-bermuda-rental-car-company-is-now-operating-has-dockyard-pickup-location/?tab=comments#comment-56317564