Edge Cabin Information Thread Questions??

vtcruising

First of all, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post cabin information on the Edge Class Cabin Information sticky at the top of the page. The reviews have been thoughtful and the photos are great - very helpful for the rest of us!  For those who have sailed on the Edge who would like to add their cabin info to the sticky, it would be most appreciated by future Edge cruisers. I know that I look at the S and M Class stickies before choosing a cabin.

There have been about 20 cabins reviewed so far (IV, SV, Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda, Panoramic Ocean View, Sky Suites, Celebrity Suite) and most have attached photos.  Here is the link to the sticky - the link to the spreadsheet is near the top of the first post. You can copy and paste the info format into a post and add your info and photos, if you have some - you can also add a link to your photos. I will add your info to the spreadsheet. The links to the posts and photos are in the last column of the spreadsheet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/

I started this thread for people to ask questions about the cabins listed in the sticky since that thread is only for posting the info, without questions and discussion (otherwise, it would be too difficult to weed through to get the actual info). I can't guarantee that the people who posted the info will come back here to answer questions, but they may or someone else who was in a similar cabin might be able to help, so ask your questions and we will see if someone can answer it.

My one request is that this thread does not end up as a heated discussion about the the cabin categories or ship in general. There are many threads already serving the purpose of panning, or extolling the virtues of, various cabin categories or the ship in general. It would be nice to keep this thread as a discussion of the reviews of cabins by people who have actually sailed in them with people who are sailing on the Edge or Apex or are thinking about sailing on them and wish to choose the best cabin. Thank you!! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have some burning questions. :classic_smile:  If anyone who posted on the sticky comes back and checks this out, here are my questions:

1) Tall-Cruiser: Thanks for the great review and pictures!  Do you know how many times/day the MC moved? Did you hear noise when it moved? I heard it move from our IV that was quite close - fairly noisy, but fun to watch.

Did you have any trouble with a leaky shower/tub, as many of us in sky suites had? I wondered if they have fixed them.

Did you get much sun on your balcony?

2) Citruscruiser: Thanks for reviewing so many IVs! What did you think after living in them for so long?  Did the storage seem okay? Did you feel the balcony was adequate for you or did you miss the open balcony? Which one was your favorite? Did you like the AQ shower head?  

3) NJ Gal: Your CS review was helpful - thanks! Did you like the bathroom set up (divided up)? How was the shower/tub? Did you use the pop-up table in the living room? If so, how did that work out? Was the storage adequate?

4) kearney: Thanks for your perspective from someone having a scooter in the cabin. It was helpful to see where you put it. If the bed had been by the bath, would it have worked? I'm sure others will want that info. 

5) SeaWatch: Sorry about the noise factor - that cabin looked so cool. Do you think it affected everyone in those forward cabins?  Did GS say that they couldn't stop the staff from making noise so moved you or did they say they were working on fixing the problem? I'm glad you were able to be moved. Thanks for alerting us!

That's it for now. I'm sure I (and others) will have more questions! :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

VT, I do not think having the bed by the bath would work with a scooter.... just not enough room to get by it. Now DH is... well chunky... lets just say.. so he uses the mid range scooter which is 22" vs 21" wide. But if you can't get it by the bed... you would have to park it by the closet and I am not sure how easy that would be. It works fine in they IV cabin with bed by veranda. I would love to hear from others.

1 minute ago, kearney said:

VT, I do not think having the bed by the bath would work with a scooter.... just not enough room to get by it. Now DH is... well chunky... lets just say.. so he uses the mid range scooter which is 22" vs 21" wide. But if you can't get it by the bed... you would have to park it by the closet and I am not sure how easy that would be. It works fine in they IV cabin with bed by veranda. I would love to hear from others.

That's what I thought, but wanted to hear what you thought after being in the cabin. Thanks!!

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Is there a way to add photos to my review of stateroom 8110?

I have a link to your post, which has 6 photos. If you want to add more than those 6, just post again and I will add another link to those pictures (please label cabin # in post). Thanks! The other photos were very helpful!

Regarding the IV’s: I was a single and had a roommate in the different cabins. Of course I had plenty of storage when by myself!  With a roommate we did pretty well. The rounded corner cabinets were great for all the shoes. We didn’t use the bottom of the closet for shoes. The space was used for dirty clothes. The lower closet bar (that doesn’t fold) was in the way when there are many long hanging items. The heavy robes took up valuable space in the hanging area.  Even on the S class I never used the folding closet bar as that would mean my clothes would be too near my shoes. 

The dresser drawers (deep and wide) and and the closet drawers offered plenty of storage.  One  nightstand is attached to the wall so only the other can be moved in between beds as necessary. 

The bathroom shelves worked well with two of us and the drawer under the sink was divided.

The Aqua shower was nice with the rainhead/waterfall, body sprays and handheld. I think the design of the rainhead is a little oversized for the shower as it doesn’t fall in the center of the shower but more towards the backside of the shower causing you to stand more toward the enclosure sides. 

All my cabins were the same size as well as the IV’s. Still not a fan because: I enjoy sitting out in the fresh air (only in the shade) In order to do so I have to rearrange the chairs to close the accordion doors and open and close the IV window.  Every time I left the room I took the time to close the window also. It is not as easy as “regular” veranda. The chairs were not comfortable as the rope design cuts into the spine. Also when I relax I tend to nod off!  This can’t be done with the limited square footage and current chairs. I did use the table as a foot stool. 

As a single traveler the roll down blind was ok, but with a roommate, unless both were awake, there was no outside view. 

I preferred the Aqua room because of the shower, Blu, and the Thermal beds in the spa. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

Regarding the IV’s: I was a single and had a roommate in the different cabins. Of course I had plenty of storage when by myself!  With a roommate we did pretty well. The rounded corner cabinets were great for all the shoes. We didn’t use the bottom of the closet for shoes. The space was used for dirty clothes. The lower closet bar (that doesn’t fold) was in the way when there are many long hanging items. The heavy robes took up valuable space in the hanging area.  Even on the S class I never used the folding closet bar as that would mean my clothes would be too near my shoes. 

The dresser drawers (deep and wide) and and the closet drawers offered plenty of storage.  One  nightstand is attached to the wall so only the other can be moved in between beds as necessary. 

The bathroom shelves worked well with two of us and the drawer under the sink was divided.

The Aqua shower was nice with the rainhead/waterfall, body sprays and handheld. I think the design of the rainhead is a little oversized for the shower as it doesn’t fall in the center of the shower but more towards the backside of the shower causing you to stand more toward the enclosure sides. 

All my cabins were the same size as well as the IV’s. Still not a fan because: I enjoy sitting out in the fresh air (only in the shade) In order to do so I have to rearrange the chairs to close the accordion doors and open and close the IV window.  Every time I left the room I took the time to close the window also. It is not as easy as “regular” veranda. The chairs were not comfortable as the rope design cuts into the spine. Also when I relax I tend to nod off!  This can’t be done with the limited square footage and current chairs. I did use the table as a foot stool. 

As a single traveler the roll down blind was ok, but with a roommate, unless both were awake, there was no outside view. 

I preferred the Aqua room because of the shower, Blu, and the Thermal beds in the spa. 

Thanks for all of your insights!

Thanks, {g}cruiserke, for the cabin review and great photos!  You had a great view!

I  had a couple of questions:

Did you hear any noise from Blu outside dining or people setting up?

Were people out there often (Blu outside)?

Thanks!

Here's a link to the post and photos. for those who haven't seen the post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&comment=56448387

Edited by vtcruising

J18ktleo, I will answer your question here about the cabin info thread, to cut down on non-cabin info posts on that thread (would get too hard to weed through). 🙂

"Thanks for doing this, I would love to post our Panoramic Oceanviews from the Preview cruise...suggestion, can you make the spreadsheet in numerical order like the S and M class are?

Also, is there a reason you've specified 'balcony' info...what if it's not a balcony cabin?"

The balcony type is there because the majority of cabins have a balcony. The directions say to put "N/A" if no balcony. The next two columns are to describe the balcony/window size and obstructions so those with ocean views can describe their windows there.

I have it had it sorted by date of post, but could switch it now that there are quite a few postings.  Anyone can create a temporary filter (in the search instructions how to do it) and sort by date, cabin type, etc., if they wish.

Thanks!

Thanks so much, vtcruising!

I do want to add ( and I've mentioned this in my cruise review ) that it would've been much better if the blinds would close from side to side, as we are restricted in what we see in the morning because we have to raise the blinds the whole way.

I lifted them up about a foot when I went to bed, however since our bed was near the window, when I got up at nite if I touched the blinds they 'jiggled' and weren't tight as they are all the way down.

I will definitely miss not being able to get up in the am or during the night and 'peek out' to see where we are and scenery, if any.  This is the one area I think could've been better designed!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

Thanks so much, vtcruising!

I do want to add ( and I've mentioned this in my cruise review ) that it would've been much better if the blinds would close from side to side, as we are restricted in what we see in the morning because we have to raise the blinds the whole way.

I lifted them up about a foot when I went to bed, however since our bed was near the window, when I got up at nite if I touched the blinds they 'jiggled' and weren't tight as they are all the way down.

I will definitely miss not being able to get up in the am or during the night and 'peek out' to see where we are and scenery, if any.  This is the one area I think could've been better designed!

I agree - that was my big surprise. I don't think it had been reported yet when I went to peek the first morning and found that the blind was in a track and couldn't be lifted. I immediately knew that it would be an issue. I think they will redesign that, maybe for the Apex and eventually for the Edge. It is puzzling that with the 3D designing that they didn't figure these things out. Next time maybe they will have an actual couple or two roommates try things out to make sure a cabin works for two people. 😉

Edited by vtcruising

On December 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM, vtcruising said:

Tall-Cruiser: Thanks for the great review and pictures!  Do you know how many times/day the MC moved? Did you hear noise when it moved? I heard it move from our IV that was quite close - fairly noisy, but fun to watch.

Did you have any trouble with a leaky shower/tub, as many of us in sky suites had? I wondered if they have fixed them.

Did you get much sun on your balcony?

Hi Marilyn - Happy New Year. Sorry I did not see this earlier.

I am not sure how many times the MC moved during the day. Sometime when I came out on our balcony it was on 14 (pool deck) and other times on 5. When on 5, I could see people going in and out of the MC. One day standing on our balcony I saw it moving. It was very quiet and smooth going from our balcony. I will check my pictures to see if I took a video of it. 

As to the shower/tub, we had to turn the shower head towards the back to prevent water splashing out on the floor.

Our balcony also got some good sun at times. One day I had to move the chair to the very back corner to avoid the sun.

On other note, from our balcony you could see anyone sitting in one of the S3 balcony through the side window.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Hi Marilyn - Happy New Year. Sorry I did not see this earlier.

I am not sure how many times the MC moved during the day. Sometime when I came out on our balcony it was on 14 (pool deck) and other times on 5. When on 5, I could see people going in and out of the MC. One day standing on our balcony I saw it moving. It was very quiet and smooth going from our balcony. I will check my pictures to see if I took a video of it. 

As to the shower/tub, we had to turn the shower head towards the back to prevent water splashing out on the floor.

Our balcony also got some good sun at times. One day I had to move the chair to the very back corner to avoid the sun.

On other note, from our balcony you could see anyone sitting in one of the S3 balcony through the side window.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good to know that the MC wasn't too loud when moving.

I haven't seen many S3 reviews - haven't seen anything about that window on the side to see if people liked them or not.

Thanks for the review and for answering questions! Happy new Year to you!