Printing receipts with each drink order to get more tips

46 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Sorry, I do not completely agree with this.  You have only tipped for the amount of the drink package.  If you then drink double that amount the bartenders/servers do not get any additional tips.  

And if you drink less do you get a refund?

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And if you drink less do you get a refund?

Honestly you really think that many people drink less than the package cost?  Maybe once but not very smart to continue doing that, at least from a financial perspective.  Also really don't see any additional or better service having a drink package.  It will probably go the opposite direction if the servers find they are being over worked and under paid.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, Host Clarea said:

We've found that if we give one dollar with our SeaPass card when ordering the drink, they don't give us a receipt to sign and we get excellent service.

Is this only the first time you order a drink with a particular bartender, or every time you order a drink?   If it's every time then I totally understand why they wouldn't give you a receipt, they've already gotten what they want.  The 18% gratuity plus your additional $1.

I've never had the drink package on RCCL, and I've received a receipt EVERY SINGLE TIME I've ordered a drink, which seems appropriate.  However, when I cruised on the Celebrity Equinox about a year and a half ago, I did have their drink package and hardly ever remember getting a receipt.

Dan

2 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Honestly you really think that many people drink less than the package cost?  Maybe once but not very smart to continue doing that, at least from a financial perspective.  Also really don't see any additional or better service having a drink package.  It will probably go the opposite direction if the servers find they are being over worked and under paid.

I don’t see any better (or worse) service with the package either.  They are being paid to serve me a drink and that’s what happens. The packages have been around for several years now and I don’t see bartenders in short supply from being over worked and under paid.  

58 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Sorry, I do not completely agree with this.  You have only tipped for the amount of the drink package.  If you then drink double that amount the bartenders/servers do not get any additional tips.  

18% tip to mix an over priced drink is way over the average tip scale. I guess if you are drinking double the cost of the drink package you wouldn’t even remember being at a bar or signing for a tip.

10 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yes and that is probably why the drink package price keeps increasing and with stricter rules.  But amazing how many people on here complain about that constantly??

What in the world do working conditions have to do with package price increases. Are you just pulling random ideas from thin air.  

Drink package price are indicative of supply and demand, and restrictions are really no different than they have ever been. 

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

18% tip to mix an over priced drink is way over the average tip scale. I guess if you are drinking double the cost of the drink package you wouldn’t even remember being at a bar or signing for a tip.

It doesn't take much to drink more than the drink package.  My package equates to about 4 $12 glasses of wine.  That doesn't include the fancy coffee I get, the bottles of water, and I could easily drink 2 glasses of wine at lunch and then more at dinner or later.  If I purchased all of that without the package on the ship I would still have to pay the 18%.  Also not sure where you are from but 18% is pretty standard tipping percent.

I really think some of you should actually try working in a service industry and see what it is really like before complaining about a few dollars on what is probably already a very expensive vacation.

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

What in the world do working conditions have to do with package price increases. Are you just pulling random ideas from thin air.  

Drink package price are indicative of supply and demand, and restrictions are really no different than they have ever been. 

What in the world do you think would happen if the servers start complaining about having to serve and work twice as much for half the tips, that that would not impact working conditions????How do you think they would compensate for that?  Once easy way is to increase the base tips by increasing the package minimum.   Boy I can't wait until they raise the minimum percent to 20%, boy how many people here are going to have to stop cruising.

Sorry they only recently started requiring all adults in the same cabin to purchase the package if 1 does.  That was stopped for a while, but now I understand why they started it again.

20 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

What in the world do you think would happen if the servers start complaining about having to serve and work twice as much for half the tips, that that would not impact working conditions????How do you think they would compensate for that?  Once easy way is to increase the base tips by increasing the package minimum.   Boy I can't wait until they raise the minimum percent to 20%, boy how many people here are going to have to stop cruising.

Sorry they only recently started requiring all adults in the same cabin to purchase the package if 1 does.  That was stopped for a while, but now I understand why they started it again.

1. They would hire more people to replace the complainers.  Lots of people looking for jobs, and lots of people working on cruise ships that sign new contracts year after year after year.  

2. I don’t care what they raise the gratuity level to, I don’t pay the automatic gratuity, and if it’s raised I am sure more people will opt out. (Increasing by 2% the tip on my drink package will still be acceptable to me)

3. No, the initial year of the deluxe drink package it required all adults in a cabin to purchase, they took a short break from it and then returned to the policy, however all it takes is a phone call to get around that. 

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

The Cruise Line charges 18% on the price of the package to cover tips. You are not obligated to give anyhting else. If the staff don't like this they should take it up with management.

The way I look at it is you've got one kinda people, some of whom will have more money than sense, who will tip extra on a bottle of beer costing $8 which should be $4, or a glass of wine at $12 which should be $6, and be happy to pay those prices.

These kinda people go and buy their toiletries at more than double price in Boots (England).

Then you've got your normal kinda person who works hard for their money and is rightly more sensible, and only pays these annoyingly inflated prices because they literally have no other choice (though they may have considered tipping if they weren't being right royally ripped off in the first place).

These kinda people sensibly go and buy the same toiletries for less than half the price at Home Bargains.

Each to their own, but just my take :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Cruise Line charges 18% on the price of the package to cover tips. You are not obligated to give anyhting else. If the staff don't like this they should take it up with management.

No where did I say someone is obligated, I was trying to show how it might be nice for some to add a little extra when they are using a greater amount of service.

4 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Then you've got your normal kinda person who works hard for their money and is rightly more sensible, and only pays these annoyingly inflated prices because they literally have no other choice (though they may have considered tipping if they weren't being right royally ripped off in the first place).

But you do have a choice, don't cruise and stay home at your local pub and drink your beer.  Just because I feel I should tip based on all the service I receive and not only what I initially paid for does not mean it is wrong or not sensible.

12 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I'll pay the cruise drink prices because I have to, but when you consider I can buy a 4 pack of Coors Light at home for the price of one smaller one on the ship then I'm sorry, but I'm a bit loathe to pay an additional tip myself

Why should the servers be punished because you feel the cruise line is over pricing their drinks?   

Does anyone on here understand how the tipping on the ship works?  It does not all go to only the people you deal with face to face, there are also a lot of other employees who get their pay from tips.  And for those who remove the auto gratuities do you never eat in the buffets?  How do you tip all the different people in there who are also working for tips?  

7 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Why should the servers be punished because you feel the cruise line is over pricing their drinks?   

Does anyone on here understand how the tipping on the ship works?  It does not all go to only the people you deal with face to face, there are also a lot of other employees who get their pay from tips.  And for those who remove the auto gratuities do you never eat in the buffets?  How do you tip all the different people in there who are also working for tips?  

I understand completely how it works. 

31 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Just because I feel I should tip based on all the service I receive and not only what I initially paid for does not mean it is wrong or not sensible.

Correct. You can do whatever you feel is appropriate for you and everyone else can do the same for themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Honestly you really think that many people drink less than the package cost?  Maybe once but not very smart to continue doing that, at least from a financial perspective.  

You completely dodged my question. 

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You completely dodged my question. 

I assumed that was rhetorical since I assume you know darn well nothing is refunded, unless you decide to cancel the package completely.  

So back to you, where did you answer my question? 

Edited by micruiser2002