GETTING A LAST MINUTE MOTEL ROOM OFF I-95-CLOSE TO FLL-JAN 24,2019-

oldmom

We have driven from our city (Savannah,Ga) to FLL- many times to cruise-ALWAYS- book a room ahead of time.We normally stay at 17th street-Embassy Suites- But this time-we are leaving after my husband gets off work-hopefully 5-6 pm. and driving down-normally about 6-61/2 hours-if I-95 behaves. We usually get to the ship early-11 am-so we want to get to FLL to stop for a motel or 1-2 hours north at the furthest away. My husband does not want to make a reservation -in case we get out of town late-or I-95 has a bad wreck and we get delayed for hours. I am a planner and it makes me a little anxious. Will we be able to just drive off the interstate and find a clean fairly reasonable room Jan 24th- a Thursday night/ usually do a middle class hilton-marriot type motel- $100-$150 or so since it will only be for 8 hours or less so we can sleep?My husband would sleep at a rest stop if I would let him! Are there any events going on then that might prevent this? Have you or would you do this? Thanks-

Do you want to stay in the FLL area, or 1 to 2 hours north or Miami which would put you between W Palm Beach and Ft Pierce?

The further north you start looking the more likely you will find something decent at your low price point.

Exit 129 in Ft Pierce has a Hampton Inn and  Holiday Inn Express around $150 for that date, but could easily be full by the hour your reach there. Also a good number of budget motels that you may or may not want to check in even for just eight hours.

Exit 121 Port St Lucie also has a Hampton Inn and HIEx plus a Springhill Suites. No budget hotels at that exit as it is right at the PGA Learning Center.

The above will put you 1:30 to 1:45 or so short of Port Everglades (the port we are assuming you are sailing from). To be under an hour shy you can stay near PBI airport; Exits 74 or 69A will have the best variety of mid priced hotels and likely some walk-up availability--but a Courtyard/Doubletree/Hilton Garden Inn/Hampton Inn will all probably creep over $200. Would take a La Quinta or Ramada to stay under budget (some of either at Exits 74 or 71).

Here's the Google Map I pulled up with hotel prices for that date; just scan along the I-95 corridor if you wish

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@26.7240468,-80.0875163,13z/data=!4m5!2m4!5m2!5m1!1s2019-01-24!6e3?hl=en

Edited by fishywood

THANKS-Fishywood-yes,should have been more clear-sailing out of Port Everglades- will look at the google map-wanted to make it past West Palm- I hate Fort Lauderdale traffic- so the closer we can make it in at night-the better for my husband-he won't have to put up with my front seat driving in morning traffic,lol.

I would go ahead and book something that has a Day Of, 6PM cancellation policy.

We are experiencing record crowds and hotel occupancy is at an all time high.  If you don't book something, you could end up at a really crappy motel.

Right off I95, stop a little north of FLL.  Some of the hotels on I95 in Boca or WPB are pretty good but once you get into FLL they can be sketchy off the interstate.

Book whatever hotel you want. Then just call and let them know what time you will arrive that same day. Even if it's super late. You are way over thinking and complicating this. If you are running late, just give them a call.  It's not a big deal. 

You should also be using Google Maps on your phone as the app will route you around a major accident if that were to happen. 

If you prefer last minute, you can also just search for and call hotels while your husband is driving. 

Edited by BNBR

Thanks for all the comments.Yes-BNBR- I am overthinking this. Just wanted suggestions from the locals on this matter. I have had a couple of bad-ie. no rooms available at all! when I have traveled and not reserved a room-think I will tell my husband I will just book us a room- Blue Heron -not many motels do 6pm cancellation anymore-not Hilton or Marriot. Most have 48-72 hours now, Melinda