Is it just me ???

Jeffrey1950

That every time I plan a trip I change my mind several times before I do the actual booking. Planning a Transatlantic was almost hooked on doing a Westbound but now considering an Eastbound. I have all the details I need for a Westbound but still have questions for an Eastbound. How many of you actually fly back to the USA the same day as arrival in Southampton? Is it to hectic or can it be done without any worry/stress? Can I get a transfer from the Port straight to Heathrow or do I have to arrange for a Taxi and if so what is the normal amount roughly to pay? Also, always having wheelchair assistance how does that work when you arrive in Southampton I always leave and return to New York so this will be different for me. Someone made a comment to me whilst in an elevator when on the QM2 last November her comment was ( who would think having fun could be such hard work ) I say who would think planning a vacation could be such hard work. Looking forward to all your wise advice.

Flying back the USA via LHR from Southampton is very easy.  You take the Cunard bus -we have twice.  I just checked my phone - we were parked in front of the terminal and unloading luggage at Heathrow at 10:36.   I recall being at the gate area by 11:30.  Ideally you pay with excess OBC.   Do not schedule flights this early but this gives you an idea.  If your flight is say at 2PM you can have a lovely fish and chips lunch and kick back a little.  

Hi,

Flights from the US normally arrive early at Heathrow (from 06.00hrs). This allows plenty of time to get to Southampton for boarding from midday.

Cruise ships normally set sail late afternoon.

You could even get a stop off at Stonehenge or Winchester on the way to Southampton. You may be a little tired though.

Of course, if your flight/connection may be delayed and affect the itinerary.

To be completely safe, you could arrive the day before your ship sails. This makes it stress free and gives you an extra days holiday. There are many hotels in Southampton that are suitable for all budgets.

Private car transfers are the easiest and best way although more expensive. The benefit of a private transfer is that your driver will meet you in the Arrivals lounge at the airport and take your luggage. A short walk (wheelchair ride) to the car and then transfer to your ship or hotel. If you are tired and want a stress free transfer then a private transfer is the best experience.

Southampton cruise port is one of the, if not the, busiest cruise port in the UK. Southampton is the largest city in the county of Hampshire. Therefore there are many companies that offer private car transfers.

Just Google Southampton Cruise Tours as many offer transfers to and from Heathrow. Collapsible wheelchairs are easily accommodated in both sedans and larger vehicles. 

As you have mobility problems, it might be easier to fly east and once at Heathrow get a transfer to a nice hotel in Southampton for at least one night.  Have a look at Southampton Harbour and Spa Hotel. A good car operator that you might want to contact is http://www.pnkexecutivetravel.co.uk   We use them frequently, and they will be happy to quote you.

If you travel by ship to the UK, unless you do the full Cunard package (ship, air and transfers) you could have a stressful morning thinking of getting to Heathrow on time straight from the ship.

As has been mentioned already, traffic can be horrendous and just diabolical if you are travelling during a summer weekend!