America's Test Kitchen on Oosterdam

beaming90

New to HAL - Cruising on the Oosterdam on August 4, 2019.  What can anyone tell me about the Test Kitchen?  I was so excited to read about it, but I can't find too much info.  I am just starting to learn to cook and think it would be fun to go to class or whatever they do.  Thank you for the answer!!

I would also appreciate some information about the Test Kitchen on the Oosterdam. Are the classes free? Are they offered more than just a few times during a 7-day cruise, or not very often? Is there audience participation? We will be sailing on the Oosterdam in Feb.

• Like 1

The shows are excellent -- some of the best entertainment onboard -- and just as good as the TV shows. After the first day, when we were on the Oosterdam, you had to go half an hour early to get a seat.  A chef makes a couple of dishes and gives a detailed and entertaining dialogue. They distribute recipes for what they demonstrate. Classes are free. There were one or two on every sea day. There was not audience participation -- and there were no, unfortunately, samples of the finished product. Thanks to the shows, we now enjoy perfect baked potatoes.

Edited by Rusty Scupper
typo
  • Like 1

There are classes and there are demos.  It sounds to me like Rusty Scupper is speaking about a demo.  Those are free.  The classes are not free.  If you're interested in the class, you should sign up as soon as you can after boarding.  A free class is a perk offered to 5 Star Mariners so there may not be any room for lower Mariners.  The classes are limited in number of people.  I've not attended an ATK class so cannot provide any further information such as pricing.  I believe the classes are held on port days so the venue is available for other functions on sea days.

• Like 1

We had the pleasure of meeting and sharing time with the hostess of ATK on our Alaskan Cruise in late June.  I love to cook and subscribe to Cooks Country Magazine and watch the show on PBS.  So this was an added pleasure when we boarded the ship and I found out ATK had taken over the cooking segments.  As other poster wrote its just like watching the tv program.

The classes were very well attended and most times it was standing room only. I suggest you arrive about 1/2 hr. before start time. You will receive a copies of the recipes as you enter the room.  They are nicely done on thick paper stock not flimsily paper.  Also, we were given a free copy of Cook's Illustrated magazine.

There are no sampling of the foods prepared.  Our hostess told us she is not even allowed to taste the prepared food.

They do offer some private cooking classes.  There is an upcharge for those and if interested I would suggest you go to the front office when you board and sign up.  I would have loved to have done one but unfortunately our cruise had an outbreak of Noro and the classes were cancelled. 

What I did love about the classes....the hostess followed the menu card with exactly what she was doing in the presentation.  She talked about the utensils, cooking vesicles etc.  I remember the old cooking classes where a chef from one of the venues would come and teach the class,  then change things up with a little of this, forget this etc.  

We leave in a few weeks for another cruise and I will be attending the ATK classes.  Big bonus is I just found out the ATK hostess we had on Alaskan cruise will be hosting on our cruise. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read this morning that they are adding even more cooking demonstrations with a bunch of new recipes so I think it's a pretty popular activity. Does anyone know if they have a waiting list or something? 

https://www.porthole.com/hal-adds-new-americas-test-kitchen-programs/

Edited by CruiseDude69

The cooking demonstrations are normally at 11AM and 1PM on sea days. Normally two dishes are prepared by the America's Test Kitchen personnel. Part way through she will go to a video done at the Test Kitchen, in Massachusetts I think, in which good tips are given.

As a 5 Star Mariner I was invited to a special demonstration on the last sea day. Prior to the demo,  one of the red aprons and the recipe cards were delivered to my stateroom.

(we did not wear the aprons). We did not prepare food - it was just another demo.

The same host that I had seen on the Osterdam last February was the host on the Prinsendam in December. It was nice to see a familiar face. Those that do these demos are really good speakers.

• Like 1