26 Glacier cruise v Glacier Quest cruise

~*Lou*~

I am tossing up between these two cruises out of Whittier. We will arrive by train at 12pm and we are departing on Coral Princess at 8.30pm, this is early June. We are a family of 4, children aged 9 and 11 years. Children would be more interested in wildlife than glaciers, but I appreciate all cruises out of Whittier are more focused on glaciers. We will have done the 6 hrs Kenai Fjords cruise 2 days earlier, which is focused on wildlife.

I see the advantages of the Glacier Quest as being the slightly later departure time which gives us a chance to have a quick walk round Whittier, getting the children an ice cream from the harbour and husband wants to walk past the Begich building, he is fascinated by Whittier's history. Also the Glacier Quest should be a smaller boat, less crowds. I'm not sure I feel the need to speed from one glacier to the next covering 140 miles in 5 hours on the 26 Glacier cruise. Am I thinking about this all wrong? Should we take the 26 Glacier because its way better?

Budget Queen - I need your help!

Many thanks

Lou

3 hours ago, ~*Lou*~ said:

I am tossing up between these two cruises out of Whittier. We will arrive by train at 12pm and we are departing on Coral Princess at 8.30pm, this is early June. We are a family of 4, children aged 9 and 11 years. Children would be more interested in wildlife than glaciers, but I appreciate all cruises out of Whittier are more focused on glaciers. We will have done the 6 hrs Kenai Fjords cruise 2 days earlier, which is focused on wildlife.

I see the advantages of the Glacier Quest as being the slightly later departure time which gives us a chance to have a quick walk round Whittier, getting the children an ice cream from the harbour and husband wants to walk past the Begich building, he is fascinated by Whittier's history. Also the Glacier Quest should be a smaller boat, less crowds. I'm not sure I feel the need to speed from one glacier to the next covering 140 miles in 5 hours on the 26 Glacier cruise. Am I thinking about this all wrong? Should we take the 26 Glacier because its way better?

Budget Queen - I need your help!

Many thanks

Lou

If you take a look at the route map,  you can see quite a large difference in area.   I have done both multiple times, but certainly do prefer getting to Surprise Glacier.   I think you may be "surprised"   with your thinking about Whittier?   There really isn't much to "walk around"  Whittier and you can see the Begich  Building right from getting off the train and ship.   It isn't much of a tourist attraction.  :)   I've been it,  (needing one of their services).   Isn't worth entering.  :)   

Both choices-  you would enjoy,  I certainly have.    Depends on your preferences?  

I had the same questions/concerns as Lou and I chose Glacier Quest for the smaller boat. Since our Coral Princess cruise goes into GBNP and Hubbard Glacier so I will see plenty of glaciers. I have already reserved and paid for June 18 Glacier Quest trip.

Edited by susiesan