Crystal independent time in ports

Babcia7

We will be taking our first Crystal river cruise (Enchanting Moselle) next summer.  Although there are included excursions in every port, we will have free afternoons/evenings in several ports (Dusseldorf, Bernkastel, Trier, Cochem), as well as virtually a whole day in Amsterdam upon our arrival.  For those of you who have traveled with Crystal, have you planned your free time independently, or does the concierge onboard provide suggestions? We've traveled with Uniworld in the past and are used to a more structured itinerary that usually fills up most of our time in port.  I like the idea of exploring on our own, but need to know if I should research possibilities before our cruise. 

I have not travelled with Crystal, but after reading the description of this itinerary new to Crystal I advise getting some independent info before you cruise. Apart from giving the impression that these are exciting new ports - they are not, but standard ports on many itineraries, just new for Crystal - the blog writer has got some facts wrong. A couple of minor inaccuracies in history, but geographical mistakes that if made during the cruise could disappoint. I am sure the cruise director onboard the ship will do better. But for a broader view of the ports and to possibly incorporate special interests you might have I recommend paper guides or good websites. The official Trier one is very good I find, for example: www.trier-info.de

I would not have commented but this is a new itinerary and possibly a new concierge...

The itinerary sounds promising and I like it that they go to Bonn.

Have fun.

notamermaid

Thanks Notamermaid,

I always value your input on this site, especially since you have the perspective of a "local".

One reason we chose Crystal's cruise over Uniworld's was that Crystal included stops in Bonn and Dusseldorf (neither of which we've ever visited), and Uniworld's itinerary stopped in Cologne and Frankfurt, both stops on previous trips we've taken.

I enjoy researching the places we'll be visiting and have always enjoyed our independent time at various ports. Any suggestions for how to spend our free time in Dusseldorf, Cochem, Trier or Bernkastel would be appreciated!

I've mentioned this before, but I highly recommend the Rheinesches Landesmuseum in Trier. If you have any interest in the Roman history of Trier, it's a must. They have tons of Roman artifacts including large mosaics, the Trier Gold Hoard of over 2,500 gold coins unearthed in 1993, and a layout of what the Roman city looked like in its heyday. It's a 5 minute walk from Constantine's Basilica. Admission is 8 €, and that includes an English language audio guide.

Edited by FuelScience
Add information

Thank you, Fuel Science! Just checked out the website for the Rheinesches Landesmuseum.  The collection of artifacts is amazing, and we will look forward to visiting that museum.  I agree, it sure looks like a "must see" in Trier. Thanks for the suggestion!

we took the Basel to AMS cruise last year

The included excursions were excellent with a decent variety to choose from.  I would imagine that you would have something similar.  Most were roughly half a day - you could make it back for lunch by 2 pm.  In actuality, you dont have much time in each port

we didnt really tour after the excursion opting for walking through local shopping for city flavor- stores, flea markets, alleyways.  Didnt use the onboard concierge for no particular reason.   We looked at city online pages and also trip Advisor for options

3 hours ago, Babcia7 said:

Thanks Notamermaid,

I always value your input on this site, especially since you have the perspective of a "local".

One reason we chose Crystal's cruise over Uniworld's was that Crystal included stops in Bonn and Dusseldorf (neither of which we've ever visited), and Uniworld's itinerary stopped in Cologne and Frankfurt, both stops on previous trips we've taken.

I enjoy researching the places we'll be visiting and have always enjoyed our independent time at various ports. Any suggestions for how to spend our free time in Dusseldorf, Cochem, Trier or Bernkastel would be appreciated!

Thank you Babcia7,

I have started a series for ports on the Rhine, Düsseldorf I have done, Bonn I have not got round to yet... https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2516698-rhine-beyond-the-standard-ports/?tab=comments#comment-54213772

In Düsseldorf I recommend the "Kö", even if it is just for strolling rather than shopping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königsallee

If you are into modern art, Düsseldorf is a great place to be in.

Cochem I am actually not that familiar with and I do not recall having been to Bernkastel-Kues in the last thirty years. Yes, there is unexplored territory for this girl locally. :classic_biggrin:

For Trier fuelscience has already given you an excellent tip.

notamermaid

One thing on my list to do if I get to Cochem again is the Bundesbank Bunker. It's a formerly secret underground bunker that served as a fallout shelter and a vault for millions of Deutsch Marks during the cold war. Tripadvisor has it as the #2 attraction in Cochem.

There's also an interesting mustard store on the south side of the river just by the bridge that's fun.

Edited by FuelScience

We just returned from. Crystal Danube cruise.  In each port crystal provided a map.  On the back of the map there were descriptions of the top sights In the area.   The concierge on our ship was very nice but did not have the deep knowledge of a hotel concierge.   For example, I asked where we would be able to eat lunch in Salzburg during our Christmas Day excursion.   She had no idea and was surprised by the question. She got back to me a couple of hours later and let me know the Christmas market would be open on Christmas Day.   In the meantime, I had googled, found the Christmas market hours, found open restaurants and made a reservation.  

In ports where the ship docked away from the main tourist  areaor city center, Vienna and Passau on our cruise, Crystal used one of its buses as a shuttle and had the shuttle times on a printout with the maps.   This was helpful when we explored on our own.